What happens if you drop a Fz that has fixed foot pegs? (Ottimoto)

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
Sort of a stupid question but what happens when you drop a motorcycle that has fixed foot pegs? Foot pegs that you can find on rearset from Ottimoto or Rizoma models. Unlike Yamaha's foot pegs, the ones from the replacement rearsets are fixed and will not fold up.

I am considering buying a set of Ottimoto rearset but I prefer my mod to be a minimum practical as well. I don't want to be replacing the whole rearset if ever I let my bike drop.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thankfully I don't know yet! I kept my stock ones for that very reason when I put my Valtermotos on. Check some old posts though - I think Wolfman crashed with a set of fixed pegs. If I recall they fared pretty well, but double check. Also, it wasn't the same brand of pegs, so YMMV.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Results will always vary and its all just circumstance but you can bet something is going to have to give. I wish you luck should anything unforeseen happen!

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
The last time and only time I let my Fz fall down I broke the foot peg. The folding up foot peg does not guarantee that it won't take any damage. However a fix foot peg can only be worst in my opinion but I wanted to verify.

As for crashing at speed, I don't expect a folding or a fixed footpeg is going to make much of a difference at speed.

Is there anyone that has fixed foot pegs installed and how did it fare when the Fz fell down (sorry if it did).

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
depends, usually one of the following

1: nothing breaks (unlikely)
2: foot peg doesn't break but bends the frame or rest of the rearset (worst case)
3: foot pegs snaps off and can be replaced without replacing the whole rearset (best case)

some people drill holes in the peg to deliberately weaken it a little so that it snaps off cleanly in a crash

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
After reading a few similar discussions a bit everywhere it seems that if you just drop it, the fixed peg will act as a slider and take the hit.

However when low siding, it will mostly break the peg or the frame. Pretty much right on what greg said.

Placed an order for the Ottimoto today :eek: