Crash repairs & mods! No.5 is alive!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, as a fair few of you know, i had a bit of an accident on Sunday morning at 3.30am! more than enough has been said about that elsewhere!

The bike took a pretty big hit, but was ultimately saved from some really nasty damage by the right Fork, Frame, & Axle sliders, plus the right footpeg...and maybe even the bellypan, all protected the bike from much more extensive cosmetic damage at least...but regardless there was a fair list of "injuries", that needed addressing, so that 1. the bike could be ridden again ASAP, and 2. so that it could be restored to it's former "glory"!

So far Mikey (Ozzieboy) & myself have managed to achieve objective 1...get the thing rideable again!

This is what was damaged in the accident.

1. Headlight unit shroud ripped away from the operational part of the headlight unit!
2. Headlight Unit scratched & scraped...needs to be filled and re-painted. The mounting brackets which werte ripped of the "Mask", need to be re-attached as well.
3. Front wheel knocked about 50mm out of alignment via the fork sleeves and front wheel twisting around the fork leg!
4. Right fork leg knocked about 3-4 millimetres through the top triple clamp!
5. Clutch lever block pushed up 90 degree's to vertical...but no damage to clutch lever block, or shorty Pazzo lever!
6. Scrapped Bellypan...will need to be filled and re-painted before it goes back on the bike.
7. snapped right footpeg from Valtermoto rearset.
8. One very bent, and worn down frame slider
9. Handlebars pushed 2mm right through the bar riser.
10. 2 very very tiny dents in the tank, but no loss of paint.
11. broken left front indicator.
12. bent headlight unit mounting bracket...main bracket to forks!

So in the last 45 hours since the accident, Mikey spent about 6 hours last night, with very little assistance from me, getting most of the list of things fixed!

Last night Mikey fixed...
1. Replaced right Frame slider on bike with Left frame slider on my other FZ6...THE LONG ONE! will have to get a replacement for the other bike...later! Mikey had to bend the frame slider back a bit towards it's original angle, before attempting removal, but he got it out, and we promptly put the replacement on.
2. Remove Bellypan for re-finishing....which will get done in the next few weeks.
3. Straighten the front wheel...loosening front axle bolts, aligning by eye with the headstock, headers, brake rotors, and rear wheel...when we were done with this i reckon we got it pretty bloody straight!
4. Fix height of fork legs in top clamp...this time both top & bottom triple clamps needed to be loosened, and things righted, before refastening all major bolts...
5. re-position handlebar's in bar riser's.
6. replace both footpegs...as the replacement footpeg i had sitting in the shed is black, not silver like the left footpeg is, and the broken right footpeg was! So for aesthetic reason's, both footpegs are now black Valtermoto items, instead of silver Valtermoto pegs! I had a spare set of Valtermoto rearsets...rather handy really!
7. re-position clutch lever...it had been pushed up 90 degree's when the left side of the handlebar was pushed up into the tank by a drunken pedestrian!
8. Pull headlight unit apart, remove "mask mounting bolts, which were still attached to the functional part of the headlight unit, but had been ripped off the "Mask" when the two pieces became seperated in the accident...we should of left the two "4 inch spikes" there for the next drunk to get impaled upon!

So, that was all last night which left us with a straight bike that could be ridden other than for the fact that the Low Beam bulb needed to be replaced, so there was no point in putting the headlight unit back together until i went and bought a new globe...

Oh, and i also needed to go and get a new set of indicators for the bike, with long enough stems, so that they could be seen either side of the headlight mask, when i get it back on the bike, once it too is re-finished, like belypan.

So today i went and got some decent indicators, and a H3 55W replacement bulb for the headlight...tonight, after telling myself i should'nt, i eventually went out into the shed and finished the job off...

1. Fitted new indicators to headlight mounting brackets, routed all the indicator wiring through the back of the headlight unit, installed resistors, modified connectors at bike end of the wiring connection, to match with the new indicator wiring.
2. Fitted new H3 globe, re-attached the twin headlights to each other.
3. Take off headlight mount brackets, straighten, and re-install ready to screw headlight unit too.
4. Attach headlight unit to mounting brackets, checking for correct height on each side, as well as "centre".
5. Clean up all the excess wiring from out of back of headlight to the main wiring loom, using cable ties, and black plastic flexitube.
6. Stand back about 45 hours after the bike was trashed and go F***, nice one, i can ride my bike again!

Now, it's not quite it's former self right now, but it is damn close!!! No "Mask" on the front of the bike, and no bellypan, both of which obviously affect the look of the bike radically, in the overall looks department...

But for now, my shiny ceramic coated headers are in full view, and the headlight unit is "naked", but completely functional!!!

I laughed my ar$e off when i first realised what it was going to look like, but the desire to ride the bike far outweighs the need to wait until the headlight mask, and bellypan are re-finished...

So, here it....looking like that stupid robot from that Movie "Short Circuit" in the 80's...No.5!!!

I sorta like it, looks very Euro fighter, or something, i dunno, but it sorta still looks cool! But the best thing is, very soon, when my wrist is all good, i can jump on the thing and ride it!!! WIN! WIN! WIN! And so far it has cost me a grand total of $72 for a set of decent Oxford LED indicators, and a replacement H3 globe...which was dead before the accident!

View attachment 32610

View attachment 32611

View attachment 32612

View attachment 32613

View attachment 32614

In a few weeks it will be as if nothing has happened! Ordered new Valtermoto footpegs today, plus a set of Valtermoto Carbon Fibre rear set scuff plates...which i have always wanted...

And the ripper mask & bellypan will go off to the paint shop tomorrow!

:rockon:

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
That's great that it's turned around so fast. Sounds like Mikey will be getting some well deserved free beers for a while now :D. Glad to hear everything is a relatively inexpensive fix and that you're ok for the most part. Won't be long til you can hop back on it now.

We just need to come up with a good name for the bike that pulls this all together... something like drunk destroyer or moron maimer or something. :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's great that it's turned around so fast. Sounds like Mikey will be getting some well deserved free beers for a while now :D. Glad to hear everything is a relatively inexpensive fix and that you're ok for the most part. Won't be long til you can hop back on it now.

We just need to come up with a good name for the bike that pulls this all together... something like drunk destroyer or moron maimer or something. :D

Yeah, i owe Mikey BIGTIME! Not the first time either! :eek:

As for a name....Mikey and i were sorta talking about this the other night whilst fixing the thing...but our conversation was centering around installing "lance's" on the front of the bike...to impale!

Perhaps something like "Damien the Impaler!" :BLAA:

that could work, Since i have always called the bike "Damien" (from the movie The Omen!) ever since i installed that evil Scorpio alarm that scared the $hit out of more than a few interested parties that got too close to the bike, setting the perimeter sensor off! Lol! :D

;)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So, here it....looking like that stupid robot from that Movie "Short Circuit" in the 80's...No.5!!!

I don't see it :don'tknow:

wolfmanjohnny5.jpg

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to see Damien is being put back together so quickly. Take care of that wrist though bro and mind your spine in the acute phase of injury. Therapy is key!

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good job it's not seriously damaged (same with you :))

Still can't wait to see the beast in Feb :cheer:

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good job it's not seriously damaged (same with your :))

Still can't wait to see the beast in Feb :cheer:

I was seriously damaged before the accident! Lol!

And i hope that it's all back together before you guys turn up in February...i want either you, or Mike to take the thing for a ride! No-one here will!!!

:thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I still think the bike looks like Megatron, plus Megatron gets smashed to pieces, then rebuilt by his minions.:D

Maybe your right, this is the 2nd time someone else has tried to total this bike....only to be re-built to fight another day!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Johnny 5, brilliant,

Good work on the repairs fellas. Is it me or is your front tyre a bit bald mate?

Nelly

Front tyre is screwed! Have one waiting for me at the bike shop! in fact i have 3 tyres waiting for me at the shop...a front for this (BT003RS), and front and rear tyres for my touring FZ6 (Pilot Road 2CT's)...

And yes, Johnny 5....it makes me smile everytime i look at the bike...was even thinking of getting a little Johnny 5 sticker made up to put on the top of the headlight unit...real tiny! I like a good laugh!

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
And yes, Johnny 5....it makes me smile everytime i look at the bike...was even thinking of getting a little Johnny 5 sticker made up to put on the top of the headlight unit...real tiny! I like a good laugh!

Make it a real Johhny 5 , so his eyes are HID's & move the same as his do :rockon:

Make his eyes/headlights look into a corner , that would be insane :thumbup: