New Stuff on it's way - Part 3!!!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:shakehead:Here we go again.....:rolleyes:

Just when i thought i was almost done with my bike....some cager decides to make my day, and cause some interesting injuries to my beast!!!!

So, as a result, it looks like i am going to be "forced"....Lol, into making further mods of my bike.....:eek:

Here's a couple of picture's of how it looked before the smash...

View attachment 11382

View attachment 11383

Here's a link to what happened to the bike in the smash...without the gory detail of the smash....just the resulting "injuries"!

http://www.600riders.com/forum/australia/11509-wolfs-crash-damage.html

That has lots of photo's, here's the list of damage from the accident!

1. Handlebar bent at 45 degree's on left side.
2. Left Bar end mirror trashed.
3. Oxford Heated Grip controller...trashed.
4. Instrument panel mount cracked.
5. Bottom of left fork leg, scraped....minimal.
6. Left engine cover scraped.....will need replacing.
7. Left Crash Slider well scraped, but not bent.
8. Left Rearset bent in, shifter rod bent against frame, left footpeg, bent up & back........
9. Rear subframe appears to be twisted.....

This is what i am doing, or thinking about doing, so far.

1. Replace handlebars with same chrome MCS "Drag" Bars.....love em, only cost $40! bargain.

2. Replace Bar end Mirror with same MCS mirror, $35...another bargain, and they work real good too!

3. Replace Oxford Heated grips with normal foam grips...at least till the end of summer, when i will put a new set of Oxfords on. Cost $149.

4. Either plastic weld instrumet panel mount, or replace instrument panel with an 07-08 instrument panel.....:D

5. Put Fork & Axle sliders at front & back of bike, fork sliders will cover the tiny scrape, and will go a long way to preventing further damage if the unspeakable happens again! Cost $99 Front, $89 Rear, made by Oggy Knobs, the original, the strongest, and the best!!! Frame sliders proved that more than conclusively in the accident!

Here's the link to the Oggy Knobs website....

Promoto Melbourne - Frame Sliders - Axle Armour - Oggy Knobs

6. Replace left engine cover with either OEM, or aftermarket Carbon, or a Carbon stick on cover...dubious of quality on this, and have not researched this just yet....Cost????????

Any suggestions????

7. Order replacement Oggy Knob, crash bobbin. Cost $49.

8. Bend rearset, peg, and shift rod back to straight......structural integrity compromised????? then it will have to be replace....Cost $275 approximately if i have to replace, probably the best option!!! :eek:

9. Rear Subframe - Dont know extent of damage yet...could be minor, there are no visible cracks, or dings.....if replace, definitely replace with 07-08 rear sub frame, with the detachable rear pegs!!!! this is one thing i have always liked more on the 07-08 FZ6's..so this is almost a bonus, if insurance pays for it.

Other option is to replace it with something different alltogether....

Suggestions?????

Before the crash i was waiting on a Ermax Carbon Look Seat Cowl, which will go with my Puig Carbon look Bellypan, Carbon look indicators, & Bar ends.

View attachment 11385

This is still on back order after 5 months!!!!

Am thinking it aint coming...would prefer TCP seat cowl, so i am chasing that down as well...it will end up being, one or the other.....

Any other Suggestions on this folks????

Have also got a Vortex 520 conversion on order, 14 front, 47 rear sprockets, rear sprocket in polished metal to match polished wheels...oh the cleaning!!!!!, and a Black Chain......cant wait for this.....front tyre wear should be minimised!!! :spank:

View attachment 11384

Have also got a Scorpio alarm, a SRi900, with remote, waiting to be put on the bike, this is top class kit! ...here is the link to the details on this item

Scorpio Alarms SR-i900

Cost = $600.....:eek::eek:

What i am most "up in the air" about, is the sub frame, and seat unit...could be a chance to do something original, or very streetfighter......Hmmmmm

Would love some feedback.

:rockon:

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Dood - I would love to give you some feedback but you are WAY past my level of tinkering. I usually just watch your posts to see what crazy stuff you're going to do next! Keep up the good work.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dood - I would love to give you some feedback but you are WAY past my level of tinkering. I usually just watch your posts to see what crazy stuff you're going to do next! Keep up the good work.

Am looking at this lot of mods as a "touch up" to a "nearly" finished project....with the bonus that insurance may pay for some of the stuff i previously thought was out of reach....

Aint gonna stuff about either, we are in peak riding season for the next 4-5 months, i dont wanna miss too much more of that!

thanks for the encouragement.

:thumbup:

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If that stator cover isn't gouge too deep, sand it smooth again and polish the whole thing. I did the center circle on mine when the car knocked my parked bike over, and it looks pretty trick.

FYI, it was RE-scratched in this pic because of my crash later on. (and yes, I was using a passenger peg until my replacement came in) :D
crash2.jpg

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If that stator cover isn't gouge too deep, sand it smooth again and polish the whole thing. I did the center circle on mine when the car knocked my parked bike over, and it looks pretty trick.

FYI, it was RE-scratched in this pic because of my crash later on. (and yes, I was using a passenger peg until my replacement came in) :D
crash2.jpg

That's not a bad idea.......did not think of that, but it might be a little deep, but worth considering......Stumbles, where's that grinder / polishing wheel....

Thanks for the tip.

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got an air tool with some really fine-grit discs if you need it... there's a polisher here too ;)

Anytime you need something.. just yell... good chance I'll find it in the shed somewhere :rof:

:)

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got an air tool with some really fine-grit discs if you need it... there's a polisher here too ;)

Anytime you need something.. just yell... good chance I'll find it in the shed somewhere :rof:

:)

Yessirreee, "that" shed is like Alladins Cave....the longer i stood thee today, the more tools i noticed...welders, grinders, etc, etc.....Dont tell Gary (Z1000), He will take up "residence", just like he has at Leo's home "workshop".

Thanks for the offer, but i reckon i would take it to the guy who polished my wheels....he knows his way round that stuff, way better than me!!!

Dont think it would be that expensive either...probably only an hours work???

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In for a penny, in for a pound, right?

For the case covers what about Woodcraft case covers? They are expensive but are totally cool and if you go down they help protect the motor.

Woodcraft-CFM :: Engine Covers > Yamaha > R6 03-05

Or you could just use a Sharpie to darken in the case cover again...

I also like the idea of the 07 subframe, great idea. I'd leave the back half of the bike stock, for practical purposes.

I think I'd also try to salavage the rearsets too. Its worth a try.

Good luck with the repairs.

Oh...how about a turbo?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In for a penny, in for a pound, right?

For the case covers what about Woodcraft case covers? They are expensive but are totally cool and if you go down they help protect the motor.

Woodcraft-CFM :: Engine Covers > Yamaha > R6 03-05

Or you could just use a Sharpie to darken in the case cover again...

I also like the idea of the 07 subframe, great idea. I'd leave the back half of the bike stock, for practical purposes.

I think I'd also try to salavage the rearsets too. Its worth a try.

Good luck with the repairs.

Oh...how about a turbo?

Thanks for the tip re the case covers...very nice, definitely worth consiering...into the favourites list that sight goes...thanks Pete...as usual, your on it!

First option is to salvage reasets...most definitely...and i think it is possible...fingers crossed.

07+ rear sub frame is winning for practicality at this point too.

As for a Turbo...was just reading about Garrett turbo's earlier....Sheesh, that's taking it to another level all over again....huge dollars i reckon. :eek:

ITSME

Reaction score
Visit site
Whatever you do to get your bike back up and running im sure it will look just as good if not better then the previous version:rockon: i love them polished wheels:thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Whatever you do to get your bike back up and running im sure it will look just as good if not better then the previous version:rockon: i love them polished wheels:thumbup:

And now i am going to have a polished rear sprocket too...oh the cleaning.

Hey, quick question, can someone tell me which year r6 motor, the fz6 shares the same engine covers with....is it the 01-03 R6?, or is it the 99 - 02 R6?

ITSME

Reaction score
Visit site
And now i am going to have a polished rear sprocket too...oh the cleaning.

Hey, quick question, can someone tell me which year r6 motor, the fz6 shares the same engine covers with....is it the 01-03 R6?, or is it the 99 - 02 R6?

:drool::bow:

I want to say the 03-05 R6 motor covers are interchangable.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:drool::bow:

I want to say the 03-05 R6 motor covers are interchangable.

I think so too. I've seen them come up from time to time as blow out items at retailers. I've been temped to buy one as I see it on sale.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
^^^ Do those replace the stock covers, or do they "snap" in place on top of the stock one? I would be concerned about cracking a sun fade over time.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
^^^ Do those replace the stock covers, or do they \\"snap\\" in place on top of the stock one? I would be concerned about cracking a sun fade over time.

They glue in place with heat resistant adhesive....that i am dubious of....have just sent the manufacturer a pretty decent e-mail, asking lots of questions....but i share similar concerns....especially the fading thing, at least if they were fake CF, then they would not fade!

You know, the more piccies, and info i pull up re the Woodcraft items...they look very nice...very high quality.....hmmmm

Last edited:

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I think those carbon covers would be a nice addition. A little polished a little carbon and a lot of black will make anything pop! Tough choices for you my friend!

Pete, why did you have to hit him with the turbo idea? like the bug hasn't bitten him hard enough already!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think those carbon covers would be a nice addition. A little polished a little carbon and a lot of black will make anything pop! Tough choices for you my friend!

Pete, why did you have to hit him with the turbo idea? like the bug hasn't bitten him hard enough already!

Kyle - Of all the people here I think Jamie would do it!

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
Just think, with a turbo you could have went through the car instead of hitting it.

The woodcrafts look gorgeous in person. Good idea too and not that expensive if something goes wrong again. 07 Sub frame is the way to go. Shouldn't be much more expensive then the original one. As for the rear sets, just be careful as the metal may have lost durability and integrity and could have cracks not visible with your eyes.

If insurance will cover anything, spend away Wolf! :rockon: