What do you wear under your leathers

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
I wonder how many people will say they go commando...ouch.

Seriously though, I normally ride with Olympia textile pants and will either wear jeans or shorts under them. However, I just got a great deal on a 1 piece suit and couldn't say no.

The suit has a built in mesh liner that is washable, but what do you typically wear under it? Just a wicking shirt and comfortable underwear? Or do you wear a full wicking suit, long johns and shirt, under the suit?

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
Depends on the weather really. I usually wear a wicking t shirt (my favoriute is my Spiderman jersey!) and comfy underwear. But when it is really cold, long johns instead. I reid in Cortech/Joe Rocket perforated leather gear. It has been good for 40 to 115 degrees.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Man, I don't know how you guys are doing it, wearing normal cotton underwear or boxer briefs!

To the OP, get yourself some Nike Pro compression shorts (or the full-length pants). The exact same thing as Under Armour, only at about 1/3 the cost. They don't have the seams across the a$$ that will chafe after just a little while in the saddle and they make putting the leathers on and taking them off a breeze. They also make shirts of the same compression material, so you'll have both halves covered.

This type of stuff also wicks away moisture so you don't get that, um, soggy feeling. You can get the Nike stuff at any major sporting goods store (I got mine at Dick's Sporting Goods), usually in the football clothing section.

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the ideas everyone. I already have compression shorts and shirts from other sports, so that's what I'll go with. I tried the suit on and I can understand how these things can be a pain to get off when sweaty and sticky; I had a hell of a time dry.

I have to brag a little: I scored an A* SP-1 suit and snap in A* bionic back protector for way under retail. I'm stoked and was so happy to see the suit was the same size as my A* jacket, so I knew it would fit. I was about to spend the same amount on the leather track pants to zip to my jacket, but now I have something even better! :rockon:

Now I don't have any excuses to not take it to the track...other than fear of laying the bike down. Maybe it's time to look for a cheap two-fiddy to play with on the track. ;):D

Last edited:

thetimanator

Reaction score
Visit site
i prefer to go commando

jk, i wear padded bike shorts if I doing any kind of distance riding. Got the idea from a thread...saved my butt and money b/c I can stand the stock seat for much longer distances now.

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Summer cruising on the streets or track, tee-shirt, boxers, cargo shorts. If I do fall I like a couple extra layers on the hips to help with the friction burn.

Cooler weather on the track, winter silks long sleeve top and bottoms, cargo short over the silks. Keep me warmer and again protect against friction burns in a fall.

There are companies who make leather liners, or undersuits, very cool indeed. They make getting into leathers easier, help with falls and of course you can wash them.

PsycleSkins Undersuit

Leathers get stinky anyway and dry cleaning them is expensive if your leathers don't have a removable lining, so commando probably isn't the way to go. :rolleyes:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just wear boxer briefs and long or short sleeve "T" but after see some of the repies I'm going to try some of those ideas, like wicking materials etc.

I'm going to check out that link Hellgate just posted.

See you 'Cmayer' tomorrow with your new A*? Remember hydrate! Remember it could get hot out there.

Cliff

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, I'll be there for the ride. I hope to get out tonight after work and see how the suit feels. I'm 50/50 on wearing my first suit on a long ride, or going with what I'm comfortable with, leather jacket and textile pants.

It'll be hot out there for sure, so hydration is a must. That might be my next thread, how do you get out of your leathers quickly after hydrating too much? :D

I just wear boxer briefs and long or short sleeve "T" but after see some of the repies I'm going to try some of those ideas, like wicking materials etc.

I'm going to check out that link Hellgate just posted.

See you 'Cmayer' tomorrow with your new A*? Remember hydrate! Remember it could get hot out there.

Cliff

clockworkjon

SUCKERS!
Reaction score
Visit site
It'll be hot out there for sure, so hydration is a must. That might be my next thread, how do you get out of your leathers quickly after hydrating too much? :D

Just slip the top half off and let it hang behind you. Works with bowls and urinals. Now if you've got a turtle head poking out, you're in trouble!