What gear do you honestly use?

Gear you wear...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Debaser

Reaction score
Visit site
There is one guy on my commute who wears slacks and brown shoes, seriously. It was almost on the brink of raining this morning as I was following him in as we filtered through traffic on the motorway. I thought, safety aside, what is he gonna do when it starts pouring down in 5 mins, lucky for him we just missed the shower.

garider

Reaction score
Visit site
Summer 95% of the time I wear helmet, jacket, gloves, and stunt boots (provides protection for ankles).
Summer 5% of the time I wear helmet, gloves and boots (very short trips).
Winter and Fall 100% of the time I wear helmet, jacket, pants, gloves, and full length Sidi boots.

mercm3

newbie still dammit
Reaction score
Visit site
Normally Helmet, gloves, boots, a leather jacket and textile pants if it gets too warm a textile/mesh jacket takes the place of leather jacket. Also got a set of riding jeans I wear occasionally but I prefer the textile pants.

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
99% of the time - helmet, and leather gloves, jacket & trousers with riding boots. 1% of the time - nekkid. (Or is that a horrific dream I just had??)

clockworkjon

SUCKERS!
Reaction score
Visit site
Riding to/from work: Helmet, jacket, gloves.

Any other time: Above + boots, and I just got Icon leg armor I haven't had a chance to try yet.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Short ride: helmet + gloves + leather jacket
Day ride: helmet + gloves + leather jacket + leather pants + boots
Track: One piece leather + helmet + gloves + boots + ICON back armor.

clockworkjon

SUCKERS!
Reaction score
Visit site
Riding to/from work: Helmet, jacket, gloves.

Any other time: Above + boots, and I just got Icon leg armor I haven't had a chance to try yet.

Quick $.02 review: Rode for about an hour last night with the Icon leg armor. Not too comfortable off the bike, but didn't even know it was there while riding. Comfortable and sturdy feeling and they didn't slide down, probably because I had boots on. Wear bootcut jeans and it will all fit with room to spare. So all you 80's tapered-leg wearing folks can just forget about it! That's all.

/threadjack

Last edited:

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
After reading more and more responses to this question, I'm left wondering - What's the point of wearing armored pants and/or boots SOME of the time?

I haven't worn proper gear my entire riding career, but I have completed the "ensemble" within the past two years. Now that I have everything, I'd feel like a dumb ass leaving the house without one of the pieces.

Anyway, I'm not trying to preach ATGATT here. It's a personal choice just like seat belt usage should be for adults. It just seems odd that folks only wear all of their gear on more spirited rides. For me, the weekend twisties are more predictable than my daily commute. (I have whole different sermon on the daily commute and our responsibility for what happens out there. I'm not about to get into that.)

So, I pose the following challenge:

Give a solid argument for your choice to wear complete gear sometimes and less than that at other times. ("I don't want to look like a dork" is not a valid response.)

Disclaimers:
1. PUI
2. I do other things on my bike that surely increase the risks.
----I exceed the speed limit.
----I take turns at higher speeds than yamaha might officially recommend
----I ride in the rain. a lot. and I love it
----I claim that I don't ride when there is ice on the roads, but that's a lie. I do and I haven't paid for it yet. (see you can tell by the honesty that I'm PUI)
3. I do sometimes ride the XT up/down my street in jeans, flipflops and t-shirt to warm it up before suiting up for a ride. (this one screams "hypocrite" I know.)

Last edited:

Sleek05

Reaction score
Visit site
When I'm going out for a ride and my daily commute to/from work I wear my Aerostich Roadcrafter (+ helmet, boots, gloves). It's super easy and keeps my suit/tie clean and dry regardless of the weather. When I'm riding to a restaurant, show, etc with my wife it's jacket, helmet, gloves, and boots. When I lived in a warmer area it was tough to wear boots (actually, it was tough to wear anything that wasn't mesh) during the summer, but now I don't have problems with hot weather :( and since the boots I have (Sidi Sport Way from New Enough) are more comfy than most of my shoes and look fine under jeans I'm happy to wear them about anywhere.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
..... - What's the point of wearing armored pants and/or boots SOME of the time?

So, I pose the following challenge:

Give a solid argument for your choice to wear complete gear sometimes and less than that at other times. ("I don't want to look like a dork" is not a valid response.)

If I had breatheable armored pants, I'd wear them when it's too hot to wear the overpants I own now. As it is the risk increases for me, due to my overheating and discomfort. I become distracted by the level of suffering.

The best piece of safety gear any of us own is the ~7 lbs of fat between our ears. Compromising that part's effectiveness makes all the other gear necessary.

I'd rather slightly increase my level of risk, in order to maintain my focus on the situation surrounding me as a rider. That's a much lower risk in my view overall.

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been riding for just over 2 months now, and I haven't gotten my heavier riding jacket yet, but I always ride with my helmet, mesh riding jacket, gauntlet gloves, and riding boots, need to upgrade to better boots, and for now icon kevlar geans. I would love to get a full suit.

I drive transit buses for a living and travel on I-5 between Portland and Vancouver, and I've seen a lot of stupid things. The other day I seen this guy in full gear and his girl on the back with just a helmet and hotpants and t-shirt and high heals. I don't think he thinks much of her, if they go down she is a goner. Oh did I forget to say that he was being stupid and driving faster than the speed of the traffic, 20 mph, and weaving in and out of all 3 lanes and his girl was flopping like a rag doll.

a few weeks ago I seen this guy drive about a 1/4 mile on a wheelie in shorts, sneakers, and a helmet.

FZ6Ray

Reaction score
www.beyondaudiosystems.com
I always wear my helmet, jacket and gloves when I commutte to work. When it's cold I wear my riding pants as well. But if it's warm out and I'm just in my neighborhood I will be in my jeans and t-shirt, maybe shorts.

moopie

Reaction score
Visit site
I am definitely ATGATT and if I don't feel like putting on my gear then I don't ride. I find myself actually wearing more gear as time passes by. When I starting out I wore helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, and regular jeans. I now own winter riding pants, draggin jeans, and knee guards. Too many horror pics have been slowly making me gear up more!

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I always wear my helmet, jacket and gloves when I commutte to work. When it's cold I wear my riding pants as well. But if it's warm out and I'm just in my neighborhood I will be in my jeans and t-shirt, maybe shorts.
The stats were pretty clear, in the Harry Hurt Study some decades ago..... the closer you are to home, the more likely it is you are going to be in an accident. Sort of a Captain Obivous statement, to be sure. All rides start from home; so you are most frequently pasing through that area.

But 30 + MPH still means you slide for a long time, even if it's 10 feet from your door. Hitting something solid, is the same as falling out of a second story window.

If you are on the bike....... be aware of the odds.....

davidsa1

Naked is more fun.
Reaction score
Visit site
If it's my daily ride to work it helmet,gloves, and jacket. The ride is about 3.5 miles with a top speed of 45mph. If I am out RIDING it's all of the above plus riding boots and pants.