Gear you wear...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok. so its a touch subject, some people are full racing leathers, others are shorts and flip flops.. but be honest... what do you really use on day to day riding...

I honestly just wear Helmet, Jeans, Shoes, Gloves, Jacket. No boots or riding pants.
Flame on if you must, but i really dont see the need for boots and pants... (yes i know, the obvious answer, "you will when you crash") but to me... how many people really drive their cars with 5pt harness and roll cage? maybe a fire extinguisher, fire retardant suit, helmet... you know, just to be completely safe? nobody. you throw your seat belt on and roll the dice.. how many people ride their bicycles without a helmet? or knee and elbow pads? its just an odds game...
you wake up, say what are my chances of crashing today.. 1/1000... helmet jacket and gloves should suffice. Now for people twistin up all day... or going WOT, thats a completely different story, but normal, around town riding...

... discuss....

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Depends on the weather.... the only difference is whether I wear the over pants as well. When it's too hot, I can't take the heat with the textile pants I have now. When I can afford some mesh pants with armor...... I'll wear armored pants every ride.

This is a touchy subject; so before the preaching starts I'll state for the record that it's a personal choice... Nobody is going to convert anyone's position on this. The road is the only teacher.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Depends on the weather and the trip. Summer time I wear my Arlen Ness airflow jacket, Dainese short gloves (I NEVER ride without those) Shoei full face, jeans and Cat boots.

Otherwise it is a mix and match between this and full gear which is Dainese leather jacket and leather zip-on pants, Alpinestars boots and abovementioned helmet and gloves.

I also have an open face which I sometimes wear on short summer trips in town.

Depending on whether I am going to work or not I will also wear my club colours.

S

Shamus McFeeley

I wear jacket/boots/helmet/gloves. Not for when I crash, but for when that car driver who isn't saftey minded plows through me. I have more close calls with someone pulling into my lane, out in front of me, or turning left in front of me than I do making a mistake in cornering or braking.

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
Dainese Full leather, Arai helmet, Kangeroo Gloves, Astar Boots and Dainese protection vest (back and chest).

For short slow trips I somethimes ride in jeans and normal shoes. I really adapt my riding pase on the gear I have on.

Everybody choses their gear themselfs. Me I like my skin and being able to walk. :D

C-bus Biker

Reaction score
Visit site
I've always worn the helmet, gloves, and jacket (long pants, but not riding pants). It wasn't until I saw some footage of a crash in which a person's ankle snapped under the weight of his bike that I began to wear the boots. I simply throw the dress shoes in the back-pack and change into them when I get to work. I really don't see the boots as a pain.

zigzagg321

blue is fastest...
Reaction score
Visit site
normal commuting riding, I wear everything but my riding pants... when its time to go hit the twisties for spritied riding, I put the riding pants on.

FZ6-ZN

Insert nonsense here
Reaction score
Visit site
Since it’s always warm where I live, except for the occasional cold front that passes in a day of two, I always wear a Alpinestars T-Monterey Air-Flo Jacket, Alpinestars 365 Gore-Tex Gloves, Armour gear keviar riding pants, shoei XR1000 helmet and Thor 50/50 riding boots.

FZ6-ZN

zigzagg321

blue is fastest...
Reaction score
Visit site
Since it’s always warm where I live, except for the occasional cold front that passes in a day of two, I always wear a Alpinestars T-Monterey Air-Flo Jacket, Alpinestars 365 Gore-Tex Gloves, Armour gear keviar riding pants, shoei XR1000 helmet and Thor 50/50 riding boots.

FZ6-ZN

I use those same boots. great compromise between safety and comfort.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
On the street; no less than helmet, textile jacket, gauntlet gloves, boots. For long rides the above plus textile riding pants.

For the track; textile becomes leather, a back protector is added and boots go from leather street boots to full race boots.

Last edited:

Soap

Reaction score
Visit site
Full leathers and helmet unless its raining then it's my textiles but even then half of the time its leathers with a waterproof oversuit

BigPoppa

Reaction score
Visit site
Normally helmet, gloves, jacket, and boots (although not always motorcycle-specific boots). If it's cold, I have leather overpants I'll wear as well.

In the summer, I have a mesh jacket that has body armor but very little abrasion resistance, but considering it gets 100+ in the summer out here, I'm willing to make that trade-off.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is why you wear boots. I was going to post this on the FZ/GSXR thread but it's been T/J'd enough.

My friend had a car pull in front of her earlier this week. She t-boned the car and ended up jacking her ankle up pretty good. She was wearing boots! If you are not wearing some type of over the ankle, supportive boot/shoe, you are fooling yourself.

Oh and she is a very experianced rider, so it can happen to anyone at anytime. Better to have the gear and not need it, than to need it and not have it...

View attachment 21700View attachment 21698View attachment 21699

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
Everything but pants. Pants just aren't practical sometimes. For example when I'm headed to work I have to wear uniform pants and there is no locker room to change pants in.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
depends on the weather:
BUT ALWAYS THE Helmet, Gloves, Jacket, Riding pants, Boots and alot of common sense.
I've ridden with just jeans and I feels so naked with it so I stop that practice.
On hot riding days, I switch to shorter fabric gloves with the knuckle covers, the jacket is either a mesh with approved pads or perforated leather, shorts under the mesh riding pants, boots and helmets always.
Cold days, autumn to winter (no snow or ice) Speedy H2O proof 1piece, full leather gauntlet, boots and helmet always.
But most importantly, Ride "my" ride.......... ATGATT is useless if one rides beyond their capability.

Ares

Last edited:

vdbergj1

Manna
Reaction score
Visit site
Helmet gloves jacket boots> I need to get some riding pants and some nice reinforced jeans, you get some nice ones lately, although pricey.

That said, occasionally (not the norm) I only where helmet and gloves on slow cruising with my wife when it is extremely hot, 30C (86f), on a weekend with minimum traffic :spank:

chuckfz6ryder

Reaction score
Visit site
Helmet, jacket, gloves, and boots always. Riding pants about 1/2 the time.

OK, I have a confession to make. Just about an hour ago I had to deliver something to someone about 1 1/2 miles away, went out with a helmet only, no gloves, sneakers, jeans, and a t-shirt. :spank:

First time I have done that in years, and it felt very strange. Don't see me making a habit of that.

Am I the only one to do that?

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
Commute = helmet, leather jacket, or mesh if it's hot, gloves, and riding boots.
Distance = same as above, but add armored over pants.
Canyons = helmet, 1-piece suit, gloves, and riding boots.

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
I always wear my leather and armored jacket, pants, and gloves,full helmet and race boots. Even for a short trip since you never know what can happen. Being knocked into a coma for 3 days on my bicycle taught me that lesson.

I also go for visibility, so I wear a high-viz yellow vest over my red and white jacket. I look like a retarded Power Ranger, but I have yet to have someone turn left in front of me.

Last edited: