What gear do you honestly use?

Gear you wear...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
@defyinertia: damn you make me jealous. i so want to ride there! louisiana only has flat roads! hard to find good ones that are close lol.

as far as the poll i wear the helmet (law here), joe rocket jacket and blue jeans. im trying to buy bots to wear them. i only wear jean pants and no gloves. i know the gloves are important but a cant feel the bike through them adn cant tell what she needs. drives me nuts!

Good expensive summer gloves shouldn't be an issue when you get used to them. They are generally just 1 layer of leather under your fingers with slightly more protection of your palms.
I'd never rid without my gloves, I hate riding without my draggings despite doing it rarely. If you come off with no gloves you won't need to worry about not 'feeling' the bike, because your not going to be feeling much with your hands for a long time except pain. Your fingers have the highest concentration of nerves or something like that.
I hate my winter gloves because they really dull the feeling of the bike, but the more I wear them in the better they get.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
90% of the time i wear full 2 piece leather suit, if it's really hot * i am just riding foir pleasure, and dont have to do anyhting that requires normal clothing at the other end...then one piece leathers.

Always wear my HJC AC12 Carbon helmet, Sidi Vertigo boots, & decent gloves...

If it's wet, i have full on wet weather pants & jacket...

If it's a case of needing to look like half a normal human at the other end of my ride, i wear my Hornee Kevlar reinforced Jeans, or normal jeans with Kevlar long johns on..Decent jacket, boots, & gloves.

At the track...one piece suit, including a full back & kidney belt protector strapped in!

But i never ride with out complete protection of some sort..

I have had 2 rather nasty 'get of's" in the last 12 months, one on the road, one on the track...both times, my gear has saved my butt bigtime....

in fact, if it wasnt for my gear, i may not be writing this now...

Always wear your gear folks....always!

:rockon:

Lair, lair, pants on fire! I've seen photos of you riding on stage, I think buttless chaps and a sailors cap was the only think the Wolfman had on! :Flip:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Helmet, jacket, gloves, and boots always. Riding pants about 1/2 the time.

OK, I have a confession to make. Just about an hour ago I had to deliver something to someone about 1 1/2 miles away, went out with a helmet only, no gloves, sneakers, jeans, and a t-shirt. :spank:

First time I have done that in years, and it felt very strange. Don't see me making a habit of that.

Am I the only one to do that?

No, you're not. This is not of me but of somebody riding a "I-don't-know-what" on the island of Key West during this summer. Compared to some others, this rider is almost in "full gear." Some riders in this area you can see riding not in shorts and flip flops. No, try imaging in a BIKINI and barefoot!

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
No, you're not. This is not of me but of somebody riding a "I-don't-know-what" on the island of Key West during this summer. Compared to some others, this rider is almost in "full gear." Some riders in this area you can see riding not in shorts and flip flops. No, try imaging in a BIKINI and barefoot!

I do believe that's a Ridley.

Ridley : America's Automatic Motorcycle : Home

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
ATGATT for me... if I could figure out how to commute in full leathers I would but right now that would mean riding the train for 45 mins in leathers and carrying my clothes. So I do the armored overpants route.

Even if you subscribe to the "I'm never going to fall" mentality I don't understand how you could ever ride without the minimum of helmet, jacket, and gloves just due to the sheer number of rocks and bugs I've taken.

Adirondack Jack

Don't call me " Jun ior&a
Reaction score
Visit site
Like many already ahead of me on this thread- I'm always helmet, mesh armored jacket, gauntlet gloves, high boots. Mesh armored pants added for a long ride or an overnight-er. But many times (when I go in to withdrawal and have to get away for a quick FZ6 fix), I'll leave the Carharts on, add my usual gear, and just go. My mesh jacket and pants are First Gear brand. I like the quality and the fit.

Tremulant

It's not over...
Reaction score
Visit site
Ummm...first through fifth. When I get up into sixth gear, that's when I get a little dishonest :thumbup:

Helmet, jacket, gloves. I really need to buy some pants and boots! :spank:

bushboarder

moved on up
Reaction score
Visit site
Helmet, gloves, motorcycle boots, textile or mesh armored jacket, mesh armored pants. Sometimes where kevlar jeans if running to the store or something.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Full face helmet, leather jacket,and thick gloves on the short commutes (<10 mile).

I finally got a pair of leather pants, so I ride in those on anything longer (80% of the time).
I still ride in hiking boots, but I need (and am looking for) some real riding boots. They also look really silly with the leather pants.

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
Arai Condor helmet, heavy duty leather jacket, Hein Gericke gloves, Bullson textile pants, Berghaus hiking boots.

I'd like an armoured textile jacket and dedicated bike boots, but this'll do for now.

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
ALL the gear ALL the time, right?

Today I had a job interview. I didn't feel like showing up dressed like a power ranger so I drove my wife's car. We both had to re-arrange our schedules but it was better than riding in anything less than full gear.

If I knew when I was going to go down I would never gear up. I just wouldn't ride that fateful day. The fact is I don't know when it will be. I could drop while riding to the corning for milk.

I WILL go down and I WILL be wearing every stitch of gear I own when I do.

That's just me.

Iethius

Who?
Reaction score
Visit site
Full helmet,Moto GP Leather jacket and gloves w/kevlar knuckle protectors,leather boots-steel plated.
I would wear pants that zipped to my jacket across the lower back to prevent jacket slippage if downed, still looking for a good pair....
I never plan on going down but like to be protected, it's a matter of mental perspective I think, Imagine yourself as an armored knight of to battle in your gear if that helps, or,imagine a nurse picking out gravel with tweezers from your.., well whatever works I guess, I am guilty of going to get fuel in just a helmet on a hot summer day. Whoever has not ever done this even once?
Throw the first burn...(-;

rickvan67

Junior Cheeseburger
Reaction score
Visit site
Always: Icon helmet, Firstgear or Teknic jacket (depends on the temp), doc martin steel toe leather boots, Firstgear leather riding gloves. When I commute: All plus Teknic textile overpants. Pleasure riding on the weekends, jeans.

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I voted: helmet gloves jacket boots

When I ride, I wear some Dickies pants I have..I wouldn't really call them riding pants, so I didn't vote that way. Otherwise, I always where the above listed items.

Blackblood

OMG Wheelies!
Reaction score
www.quayvipersmcc.com
Full helmet,Moto GP Leather jacket and gloves w/kevlar knuckle protectors,leather boots-steel plated.
I would wear pants that zipped to my jacket across the lower back to prevent jacket slippage if downed, still looking for a good pair....
I never plan on going down but like to be protected, it's a matter of mental perspective I think, Imagine yourself as an armored knight of to battle in your gear if that helps, or,imagine a nurse picking out gravel with tweezers from your.., well whatever works I guess, I am guilty of going to get fuel in just a helmet on a hot summer day. Whoever has not ever done this even once?
Throw the first burn...(-;

Not sure about availability but I have the full set of Spada Milan Tex camo which actually have 2 zips. Short stretchy zip and an almost full circumference one.

Excellent gear but not much use for commuters,I have to wear light layers or thermals and have a shower in work which means lugging towel/clothes.

A company called Lewis also make good zippable gear.Had their full set before but can't remember without looking how many zips it had.

AlanB

Reaction score
Visit site
Always helmet, gloves and jacket with jeans and leather shoes. If it's a "dedicated ride", which I would define as riding for riding's sake as opposed to riding to a local restaraunt for lunch, then I add pants and boots.

antijoy

Reaction score
Visit site
I voted "helmet gloves jacket boots riding pants", although the exception is my ~4 mile trip to work where I skip wearing the riding pants, but still wear the boots. I know it's dumb too, because I've been off twice now and the pants saved my quite a bit both times. I always wear the pants when going on rides.

During my last wreck my helmet probably saved my life, if not just my entire face. Every side of it was scratched and gouged including the face sheild which eventually detached its self. I landed mostly head first. I had no head or neck pain afterwards, I may have had a slight concussion, but couldn't tell due to the meds. My pants, boots, gloves and jacket were all beat up and damaged a bit, but probably not past the point of still being usable. The jacket lost to the EMT's scissors though. My bike was totaled from this wreck. =(
So, the only gear I've been wearing lately is an arm brace for the dislocated elbow, my only significant injury thanks to the gear!

Last edited:

Willard

Reaction score
Visit site
Having kissed the road a couple of time I always dress for the fall. Aerostitch, full face helmet, riding boots, and gloves.

A few years back I got taken out by a dog while on a club ride. Broke my collar bone and scratched up my hellmet with deep gouges, other than not not a scratch.

Last year I rode my KLR across the Trans Labrador Highway and went into a wild tank slapper and got high sided off the bike - separated shoulder, a lot of pain, scratched up helmet again but other than that not a scratch. Fortunately I was able to carry on for the three days ride to home. If you get the chance ride the Trans Lab highway preferably not on you FZ, although it could be done.

Iethius

Who?
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure about availability but I have the full set of Spada Milan Tex camo which actually have 2 zips. Short stretchy zip and an almost full circumference one.

Excellent gear but not much use for commuters,I have to wear light layers or thermals and have a shower in work which means lugging towel/clothes.

A company called Lewis also make good zippable gear.Had their full set before but can't remember without looking how many zips it had.

Kool, I will check it out, thanks