What gear do you honestly use?

Gear you wear...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

trougnouf

Reaction score
Visit site
I always wear my helmet. I look at the weather forecast before I leave the house and if there is any chance of rain, I also bring my leather jacket. I live in Florida so I have been wearing my leather jacket every single time for the past few months.

I don't have a pair of gloves, helmet+jacket weren't part of the poll so I lied, and I would have a pair of leather pants if I could find my size, 28x32 or 29x32, never going to happen.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Starting at the top, my gear consists of the following:

Helmet: Icon Alliance SSR Speedfreak

Jacket: Cortech FSX armored textile

Gloves: Cortech Vice leather/ kevlar

Pants: Icon ARC textile

Boots: Danner leather, cordura, Gore-Tex.

I had some riding boots, but they were too tall and the ankle area was so in-flexible, it didn't allow my foot to slip under the gear shifter. I sold those boots and my search for proper riding boots continues. I wear all of this gear regardless of the weather, or the distance of my ride.

ATGATT Baby!

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah.. my gear is....
Scorpion exo 400 (my head is too big for the 1000)
Scorpion_Exo_EXO-400_Tsunami_Street_Helmet_Medium-Ume4OVNOL.jpg

icon arc jacket

JCKT.ICON.ARC.WHITE.GIF

Icon Super Duty gloves

72ea755be654985322bd6a64a42ae7e1_refined.jpg

my gloves are no longer white... they are a yellowish sweat/road dirt color now...

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
I wear everything all the time. However, when it is hot, I thought about losing the mesh pants or even the jacket. But when I started riding, I told myself that I want to walk away if I have an accident. I really want my legs to work the way they work now. So, the purpose of my gear is to reduce the motorcycle risk to my bicycle riding risk. I want the injury profile from a 40 mph motorcycle crash with full gear to equal the injury profile from a 15mph bicycle crash (helmet, and gloves only). I don't know if the math actually works out, but that's how I think about it.

CT_Rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I believe in ATGATT too. I wear:

HJC CL-Max Flip up helmet. After 2 years I need to replace this as it's beginning to get loose.

Fieldsheet CongoSport textile, all-weather jacket (all-weather, please) it has a removable, quilted liner that is effective for cold weather but in the heat it's brutal. I haven't gotten a mesh jacket for hot summer rides, yet. The neckline also makes it difficult to ride in the winter without either a turtleneck or balaclava.

Rev'it Kelvin H20 Gloves - I had to discard my summer textile/armored gloves as the palms were tearing. The Rev'its are fairly heavy winter gloves but well-armored and full gauntlet

Rev'it Mistral textile mesh pants. They have a waterproof, removable liner that is also effective in cooler weather. I was riding in 45 degree weather last weekend around Lake Placid, NY with no discomfort.

Alpinestars Ridge Boots.

On long-distance rides (over 50 miles) I also put on Cannondale bicycling shorts. The extra padding is appreciated after several hundrend miles.

I put all the protective gear on any time I start the engine. I only started riding 2 years ago so that might have something to do with the safety aspect. Of course, it might also have to do with the fact that, should I have an unexpected get-off, I don't want to have to take skin off of my nether-regions to graft it onto my face/hands/arms, etc.

The pants fit over my work pants nicely, even though the pant cuffs need to be tucked into my riding socks and bunched up around my shin as they won't fit comfortably into the boots. This set up allows me to just take the protective gear off at my desk.

When I ride at night I also wear a construction-style reflective vest. I don't know if it helps anyone else see me but it helps me feel more secure. Rest stops are sometimes extended as it takes a little more time to take off/put on all this stuff.

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
Always helmet, armored jacket, gloves, and boots. Mesh jacket for really hot days or just short scoots around town, leather otherwise. Always at least high-ankled work boots. I try to wear Kevlar jeans as much as possible. If I plan on hitting the good twisties then I'll put on the leather pants and riding boots.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
90% of the time i wear full 2 piece leather suit, if it's really hot * i am just riding foir pleasure, and dont have to do anyhting that requires normal clothing at the other end...then one piece leathers.

Always wear my HJC AC12 Carbon helmet, Sidi Vertigo boots, & decent gloves...

If it's wet, i have full on wet weather pants & jacket...

If it's a case of needing to look like half a normal human at the other end of my ride, i wear my Hornee Kevlar reinforced Jeans, or normal jeans with Kevlar long johns on..Decent jacket, boots, & gloves.

At the track...one piece suit, including a full back & kidney belt protector strapped in!

But i never ride with out complete protection of some sort..

I have had 2 rather nasty 'get of's" in the last 12 months, one on the road, one on the track...both times, my gear has saved my butt bigtime....

in fact, if it wasnt for my gear, i may not be writing this now...

Always wear your gear folks....always!

:rockon:

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Me, too. Even tho a ride may be a "brief" one, that is often when things can go wrong.

Exactly. The only thing I occasionaly don't wear is my draggins when they are being washed, and I still wear heavy duty work jeans.
I would never not wear my jacket helmet and gloves for any reason.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Exactly. The only thing I occasionaly don't wear is my draggins when they are being washed, and I still wear heavy duty work jeans.
I would never not wear my jacket helmet and gloves for any reason.

I dont feel comfortable on the bike if i am wearing just normal jeans..in fact, i cant wait to get off the bike...so i just dont ride, if i dont feel like wearing gear! period!

:thumbup:

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
It looks like the poll is a tie, except for the riding pants. I used to not wear them, but I started putting my FZ6 key in the pocket of my overpants, which makes me at least hold them in my hands (the zippered leg kind takes 30 seconds to put on/off), which generally leads to wearing them. Now that I am in the habit I feel strange not wearing them. Kinda like a seatbelt, I guess. It's a habit.

cp04

Dunder Mifflin Employee
Reaction score
Visit site
Even though I own and sometimes wear full leathers I voted helmet, gloves, jacket, and boots, since thats what I wear the majority of the time. I also wear kevlar lined jeans with astars knee pads from time to time.

GSBandit6

Reaction score
Visit site
No matter if it's to work or to the corner store I always wear the basics:
Shoei RF-1000 helmet
Joe Rocket Reactor Mesh/Leather hybrid jacket
A* SP2 gauntlet gloves
A* SMX-5 boots

If I am going out to hit some twisties or just for the joy of being out on two wheels, I add a set of Joe Rocket Blaster leather pants. When I wore jeans I had the constant fear of going down and grinding through a couple of layers of skin after my jeans shredded. Now when I am out for a joy ride I still worry about sudden stops against immovable objects or a cage, but the fear of sliding along the asphalt is almost non-existant.

Nick J

Reaction score
Visit site
I know....shame on me. I wear my helmet and gloves, Levis, T shirt and sneakers. If it's cold, then I'll wear my jacket. If I'm going to work, I have on my boots, but not bike boots, they're just a pair of construction work boots. I know, I'll regret it if I ever go down.

Dandy D

Reaction score
Visit site
I do the helmet, gloves, textile jacket, boots, and kevlar riding jeans as a minimum - usually for the commute to work or heading to the coffee shop to meet up and pose a little :). I also have a 2 piece leather for more spirited outings. When touring, I replace the kevlar jeans with my textile pants 'cause they are wind and waterproof.
I can count on one hand the number of times I have ridden wearing only jeans (with all the rest of the stuff) - feels too weird.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
After spending my whole life (not that I'm old or anything) crashing things, I wear the following when riding my motorcycle.

chest protector
back protector
race boots
full G gloves
leather jacket
zipped to jacket leather pants
and a helmet

b/c a pictures is worth a thousand words
3763922039_c2e9f070a2_b.jpg

The only time I don't wear the pants, back/chest protector is if I'm jumping on the bike to go to work 3 miles down the street at under 40mph (just pure laziness).

I don't have motorcycle boots but I do wear my Merrill hiking boots.

Ooooh....ouch...that brings back memories.

Last edited:

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wont take the bike if I can't be bothered with putting on the gear.
Helmet, gloves, Dri-Rider re-inforced boots, Jacket (either leather or AirMesh armoured, depending on the weather) and minimum of Draggins Jeans. Doesn't matter how far I'm going, it's all that... or I take the car.

Most accidents occur with 5 Km of home (apparently)!!!

:rockon:

sempul

Reaction score
Visit site
@defyinertia: damn you make me jealous. i so want to ride there! louisiana only has flat roads! hard to find good ones that are close lol.

as far as the poll i wear the helmet (law here), joe rocket jacket and blue jeans. im trying to buy bots to wear them. i only wear jean pants and no gloves. i know the gloves are important but a cant feel the bike through them adn cant tell what she needs. drives me nuts!