How should textile pants fit?

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
Bit the bullet and bought some Olympia airglid 3 textile pants. I was in a rush and after i got home I was wondering if I bought them too big.

With all the liners in they fit over my jeans with a tiny bit of room to spare in the waist, probably will wear a belt.

Without the liners and wearing some shorts they are quite baggy and the knee pads slide all over the place(they are at the right height though) since they are not snug against my knee. With the liners and jeans they stay in place better.

I could go down a size and then they would be really snug on the waist but too tight wearing the liners + jeans.

I forsee myself wearing them most of the time with no liners and either jeans or shorts underneath. If its super cold id probably wear thermals with the liner.

So I was thinking maybe getting the size smaller anticipating never wearing liner + jeans.

What do you all think? is snug and smaller better? or bigger and baggier better so you can layer more(even though 70% of my riding would be in the warmer months). My gut is saying get the smaller size if they fit over the jeans with no liner.

How do you all size your pants?

Here is the conclusion I came to

I went with a pant like fit, with all the liners I could squeeze some jeans under....however I realized I would ride with that combo only ~5% of the time. So with the liner removed and jeans on they fit perfect. I rode in 79F temps with jeans and the wind/water proof liner out and I wasnt even hot at all. If I need warmth and wind/waterproof I will wear thermals instead of jeans.

The armor is nice and snug while riding the bike and with jeans on and no liner the armor is also snug standing. With shorts on it will be a bit baggier but not enough to concern me. Better than jeans either way.

I would recomend these pants in a heart beat. Waist zippers are super nice, you dont have to take off your shoes. They seem like they will also be super waterproof, the liner looks good and can be worn as a seprate pant if you want.

Last edited:

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
I was just looking at a pair of these today, so this would be good info to know. They are overpants, so they should be a bit bigger. I'll see what the responses are.

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
the conclusion i have come to is find best fit for the majority of your riding. One pant doesnt seem to do it all.

So if most of my riding will be done in the summer with very few layers I want my pant to fit good under those conditions.

I am thinking if I ride with wet/cold conditions which would warrant the wind/waterproof liner I would just wear a thin warm layer of thermals. On dryer slightly warmer days I could wear jeans instead of the liner. And on really hot days just wear the shorts.

So i think I will try to see if the smaller size will work for those conditions, id feel much better about a tighter fit. However any mix n match i pick will be better than jeans alone.

Any thoughts to this from some more seasoned riders who have been through a pair of pants or two? And what combinations of layers do you find your self using the most?

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
90% of my riding is done with Airglide3 pants and just shorts underneath so I bought mine sized appropriately.

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I love my Air Glides! I mostly wear jeans under mine, but I go up in elevation most of the time and it gets a little cool. If it's uber hot, just a pair of shorts. I believe you're supposed to buy them as you would a pair of pants, least that's what I did.
RevZilla sells Olympia gear, if you feel like you need to speak to a professional: 1-877-792-9455 or [email protected]
and on their website they offer videos of "how to's" i.e. fit, function, performance, etc.....:thumbup:

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
I bought mine the same size as I wear jeans. I haven't tried to wear them with shorts, but over jeans they fit good with the liner and even better with. Either way, they fit for what I bought them for - to go over my jeans. I believe if I tried to wear them with shorts, they'd fit a lot like you said ours fit you (pretty loose).

I guess the size just depends on how you're gonna use them. If they fit you good for the way you're going to dress then they are probably OK.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
Is the armour in place and snug when you are sat on the bike? When standing it will have a lot more give.

With my textiles they are fairly tightly cut so that I can't wear my jeans in combination with the thermal liner in, but long-johns are ok. I usually wear them without the liner for going to work, and even in winter they are warm enough.

My old textiles were loose enough to wear jeans and the thermal liner together.

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the imput!

I decided to get the smaller size, I wore them Sunday for 5 hours and I couldnt have been happier.

I went with a pant like fit, with all the liners I could squeeze some jeans under....however I realized I would ride with that combo only ~5% of the time. So with the liner removed and jeans on they fit perfect. I rode in 79F temps with jeans and the wind/water proof liner out and I wasnt even hot at all.

The armor is nice and snug while riding the bike and with jeans on and no liner the armor is also snug standing. With shorts on it will be a bit baggier but not enough to concern me. Better than jeans either way.

I would recomend these pants in a heart beat. Waist zippers are super nice, you dont have to take off your shoes. They seem like they will also be super waterproof, the liner looks good and can be worn as a seprate pant if you want.

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
I have Joe Rocket mesh pants that fit just about the same (not floppy, but not uncomfortably tight) whether over shorts or jeans, but they're snug over long johns + jeans. And if it's cold, I wear rain gear over everything. If your weather is crazy, one set of pants won't fit all conditions.