Went down this morning in the rain

HappyHighwayman

Reaction score
Visit site
So the repair estimate MINUS fixing the scratched up frame is about 71% the value of the bike. With the frame plus additional labor it's worth more than the bike. I am certain if I make a claim they will salvage it...which I could potentially buy back as well.

Does that make sense for me to do?

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
You need to crunch the numbers and decide how much of a hassle you want to deal with. To help with this, can you list what needs to be repaired? Any chance you know the buy back amount?

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Least you did it riding.... 2010 versys unscathed I went down in my driveway and scratched the stator cover up. Then about 2 weeks after I put the new can on the bike it blew over, scratched the can and snapped the end off my brake lever, not to mention both bar ends need replacing :( glad to hear your ok though

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

HappyHighwayman

Reaction score
Visit site
You need to crunch the numbers and decide how much of a hassle you want to deal with. To help with this, can you list what needs to be repaired? Any chance you know the buy back amount?

Minimum hassle. I will not spend the next 3 weeks scouring the internet for cheap replacement parts. I'd rather pay the deductible or have them pay for the repairs and get back to riding.

HappyHighwayman

Reaction score
Visit site
Well the shop said they'd likely buy the salvage from me depending on the price....they've treated me very well in all my past transactions so it wouldn't be a big deal.

Called my insurance, they're processing it.

Last edited:

HappyHighwayman

Reaction score
Visit site
So State Farm is not screwing me around and offered me virtually the same amount I calculated as the "true value" of the bike. However, they're willing to sell it back to me for a mere $500.00

If I am reading my mechanic's quote correctly to get it safe/rideable (ignoring cosmetic, tank, and fairing damage), might be under $300.00

So for $800 I could keep the bike and have $2700 to spend on the next bike.

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site
So State Farm is not screwing me around and offered me virtually the same amount I calculated as the "true value" of the bike. However, they're willing to sell it back to me for a mere $500.00

If I am reading my mechanic's quote correctly to get it safe/rideable (ignoring cosmetic, tank, and fairing damage), might be under $300.00

So for $800 I could keep the bike and have $2700 to spend on the next bike.
:thumbup: Soundz like the way ta go. :cheer:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Blessing in disguise.

I have a friend whos bike was stolen off the street in Nob Hill twice. At the end of the day he has $500 invested in a bike that he originally paid $3,500 for.

jcombs

One day at a time...
Reaction score
www.jaredsbook.com
Makes me want to be extra careful going over any type of paint on the road. What type of tires were you using? any possibility that had anything to do with it?

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, glad you're okay!

My first bike was a 83 honda nighthawk 550. I did almost the same thing, but that was at the time where I was still "afraid" of using mostly front brake. I'm not sure why I was..

My back end squirreled around and I had No idea what I was doing. I'm lucky I didn't go down on that thing, too!

I have, however, gone down through dirt at about 40 mph (due to too fast entry speed on a sharp turn, and bad decision making) so I know about the front brake making you go straight down.

I will say this, though. You're okay, and that's what matters! (Something I've learned from my 3 totaled cars and going down through dirt.

Glad you were wearing ATGATT and are okay!