Went down this morning in the rain

HappyHighwayman

Reaction score
Visit site
Raining pretty good in SF today, when braking my bike skidded/swerved and went down on the right side. Broke some of the fairings as per the photo:

Mechanically seems ok, but the forks need to be slightly re-aligned and I'm bringing it to my shop today to have them inspect the bike (it still seemed to ride just fine the rest of the way to work).

yamm2.JPG

I feel like a jackass but nothing is hurt but my pride. I wasn't speeding or riding wildly. I have a Contour video from when it happened which I'll analyze when I get home.

Ugh, never fun going down. Sorry you had to deal with that. The good news is you are ok and your bike seems to have made it out in relatively good shape too.

Sorry to hear.
I felt on the snow :spank::spank: and was worried about the forks, turned out it was only the handlebar.

Glad to hear you are ok!! :thumbup: :thumbup: hey it's a good time to go naked with the Fizzer!! they sure look alot better and it's Cheaper!! :BLAA:

Glad to hear you are ok!! :thumbup: :thumbup: hey it's a good time to go naked with the Fizzer!! they sure look alot better and it's Cheaper!! :BLAA:

They do look much sexier (Saw an FZ8 this weekend), but I ride the highway mostly and prefer the half fairings for aerodynamic purposes.\

I think it's just the fork or handlebar alignment, I don't think anything is actually bent or broken.

They do look much sexier (Saw an FZ8 this weekend), but I ride the highway mostly and prefer the half fairings for aerodynamic purposes.\

I think it's just the fork or handlebar alignment, I don't think anything is actually bent or broken.
Oh good well maybe that wont cost to much to straighten out!! :thumbup: :rockon: :D P.S. and you could allways loosen the fork clamps and straighten it back out yourself... My Dad went down in front of the Race track he was leaving 30 years ago and He straightened his bars right there in the middle of the intersection He was so embarrassed!! LOL

Last edited:
Glad yer o.k. HHM
A good way to straighten out the forks is to loosen the lower triple clamp, push down hard on the Handle bars a few times, (To compress the forks) then tighten 'er up again. If that doesn't work, loosen the lower triple clamp, and manually straighten the front.
Good luck,

BB

Little worried about confidence. I've been down 3 times now in the last 3 years but all incredibly minor incidents. I thought I had learned my lessons and I put 8000 miles on this bike without a snag. I'm pretty careful and non-aggressive rider.

I feel like I've been knee-capped! My FZ6 is my only ride, my commuter, my errand runner and my sport tourer.

Motorcycling is not integrated into my life, and I ride virtually everyday.

Little worried about confidence. I've been down 3 times now in the last 3 years but all incredibly minor incidents. I thought I had learned my lessons and I put 8000 miles on this bike without a snag. I'm pretty careful and non-aggressive rider.

I feel like I've been knee-capped! My FZ6 is my only ride, my commuter, my errand runner and my sport tourer.

Yea I know what you feel like..... I got backed over by a VAN !! and I did'nt want to jump right back on either!! but u will come to realize just like I did.... It's irational to fear riding,you are in nore more danger than you ever were before you went down.... It is just a part of cycling...... Wear YOUR GEAR ALWAYS! i do and I still have all of my fingers and toes!! LOL you will feel better soon..... give it a little time..... have a Beer or whatever it is you do to unwind... :rockon: :Flash:

3 times in 3 years is cause for concern. You were in traffic when this happened?

Be sure to post this and the video in the crash analysis forum in BARF...lots if experienced people to learn from.

The names of the parts you need can be determined by taking a few minutes to review the online microfiche. Ronayers is a good source too.

I would just straighten the forks myself (they are likely just twisted in the triple, not bent or damaged). Loosen, put the tire against an imovable object, straighten, bounce, and tighten.

How can you only have 8-12k miles on the bike if it's your only ride and you ride everyday?

3 times in 3 years is cause for concern. You were in traffic when this happened?

Depends on how much he rides, 3 times in 3 years with only 8-12k miles yes.

I myself have gone down twice, both in wet, slippery conditions but I have never collided with anything. But again, I have a little more miles than not so Happy Highway Man.

Raining pretty good in SF today, when braking my bike skidded/swerved and went down on the right side. Broke some of the fairings as per the photo:

Mechanically seems ok, but the forks need to be slightly re-aligned and I'm bringing it to my shop today to have them inspect the bike (it still seemed to ride just fine the rest of the way to work).

yamm2.JPG

I feel like a jackass but nothing is hurt but my pride. I wasn't speeding or riding wildly. I have a Contour video from when it happened which I'll analyze when I get home.
Sorry to hear about your off. The FZ6 is a heavy bugger an once you reach the point of no return there is bugger all you can do apart from let go.
As for the forks, they are probably not bent. Just undo the yokes (Triple clamp) a bit and bounce the front up and down by pushing on the bars. The rebound of the fork springs centers the forks.

Good luck and glad your not hurt.
Nelly

This is my 3rd bike. When I owned the previous two I never commuted on them, and now my commute is about 40 miles a day so I put at least 200 / week on the bike + pleasure riding. I only started commuting late last year.

The first time I dumped the bike was on my Suzuki Savage 650, it just tipped over at a stop light (within the first few months of riding). The 2nd bike a Yamaha SECA II a lady pulled out of a parking spot really fast and I panicked. Both those time I was inexperienced, wasn't riding enough, and were on not the greatest bikes (the SECA II needed new tires).

So the 8000 miles have all been on the FZ6 with no tip overs, dumps, crashes, spills or scrapes...until this morning. I am headed to my mechanic now.

How can you only have 8-12k miles on the bike if it's your only ride and you ride everyday?

Depends on how much he rides, 3 times in 3 years with only 8-12k miles yes.

I myself have gone down twice, both in wet, slippery conditions but I have never collided with anything. But again, I have a little more miles than not so Happy Highway Man.

Pretty safe to assume he has had other bikes during the three year period.

Didnt know you had ever gone down in slippery conditions. Sounds like you are comfortable with your average?

Back