Laid my Fz6 in the Driveway this morning.

digdoctor

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

Have had my 06 Fz6 for a few years now, this morning I was leaving for work and made sure to drop my bike in the driveway in slow motion, it was more like laying it down for a nap gently (using my right leg as a pillow, I might add). It has frame sliders on, which it rested on nicely, but broke off my right side footpeg, and not sure if it bent the rear brake lever or not.

Here's my question: What do I check to make sure all is well? I've heard that the frame is real easy to crack on this bike because it uses the engine as a structural component. Pegs are cheap enough, and I can deal with the tiny scuff on the plastic bit next to the seat, I just want to make sure everything is mechanically safe.

Best,
DD.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the most common crack that crops up on here in a drop is around the engine mount that the sliders bolt on to, so check there first. Other (less common, and not usually from drops I don't think) are on the long section that runs down to the footpegs, on the "apex" of the curve so to speak, where it drops down past the engine from under the seat.

EDIT: a picture paints a thousand words:

411ca6f93bab737c71480d55dcdb79f5.jpg

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I seriously doubt that your bike received any frame damage from a very minor lay down. Bikes should be able to withstand from serious frame damage from a simple drop. My bike has hit the pavement several times while in motion and the frame has held up very well. I've been very fortunate.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 ^^^^ for both.

A zero MPH drop may scratch the frame but certainly won't crack it.

Frames do crack but its relatively rare and most are abused/ridden VERY HARD.

I would double check the TOG for the bolt being straight and tight (40 ft lbs) as it took most of the brunt,

No TOG, 0 MPH tip over/nap;

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Make sure your bars are centered left to right and vise versa.... They can and do slide at times. Check the four bolts holding them too.

Beyond cosmetic stuff, and the obvious movement of levers, plastic, fairing, bars, (rear sets damage), it should be fine. I would not worry about the frame from that incident!