Value of life is?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This made our local news and everyone turned their head looking at me as the new bike owner. I have NO desire to become a statistic and am posting this as a warning to others.
Ride Safe, use common sense, ride within your means, and if you want to speed, take it too the track.

They didn't state anything more than is listed here, more details may unfold.

http://www.ktvb.com/news/regional/T...571254.html?gallery=y&img=0&c=y#gallery-image

High-speed Crash Kills Motorcyclist Near Puyallup - KCPQ

<<PASTE>>
High-speed Crash Kills Motorcyclist Near Puyallup
The Washington State Patrol said a 24 year-old Puyallup man was killed during a high-speed collision.

PIERCE COUNTY—

The Washington State Patrol said a 24 year-old Puyallup man was killed during a high-speed motorcycle collision near Puyallup at around 12:15 p.m. Saturday.

Witnesses told investigating officers the motorcyclist was driving at speeds in excess of 100 mph before the crash happened.

The man was riding a 2009 Suzuki GSXR 1000 northbound on Hwy. 167 near 78th Ave E. when he struck a 1993 Chevrolet Lumina driven by a 28-year-old man. The impact was so hard that the front fork of the motorcycle broke off and became imbedded into the front of the Lumina.

The motorcyclist was ejected from the bike and was found more than 440 feet from the location of the impact. \Medical personnel pronounced the motorcyclist dead at the scene. The driver of the Lumina received minor injuries and was transported to Good Samaritan Hospital for treatment. The motorcyclist was wearing a helmet and it is unknown at this time if alcohol or drugs were a factor.

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Another case of too much bike with lack of skill and maturity. Sad but the fact is your ability to make wise decisions and use self control on a 150 hp bike at age 24 is very low for about 99% of men. I was about 10X more reckless and stupid at 24 than I am now at 32.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^+1
Sad but true - I was in the dirt and rail dune buggies at that age which is prolly for the best. . .

CDE

Reaction score
Visit site
Any bike is too much bike for some people that want to push their boundaries. This is a good reminder for us to all ride within our limits and capabilities....but this in my opinion is also not good enough - you have to respect the road and area you're in also.

And it is true...young dudes like to push the boundaries. I've pushed mine before, and now I realize I enjoy riding much more when I feel in control....very in control. Every corner, every bump in the road. Look ahead, plan ahead.

I love the gixxer 1000. Too bad the kid died. Looks like the front fork might be salvageable?

I agree with Final - I have ridden dirt and quads since I can remember. You can ride them hard but only ever go 30-40mph on the trails. Most falls are at slow speeds and the machines are tough as snot and can handle being dropped a lot. Some good lessons on how to recover/prevent falls on a street!

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
These stories are always sad. A young kid with a future ahead, instantly gone.

I have been hurting today over another incident where a biker was killed. This guy was in his 40's minding his own business when a cager pulled a left in front of him. I cannot tell you how scared I am of having this happen. The cager took out a local school teacher. Sad, very sad

Motorcyclist killed in accident in Pearl River | The Journal News | LoHud.com

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunate accident ..... but when anyone drives over 100 mph on the street he has to take the consequences of his actions as his total responsibility. Too much bike in the hands of a foolish young man = disaster. Sad for his family, but he should have thought about the consequences before twisting the throttle.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very sad.

I don't think age has anything to do with it though.

I've seen young riders who are very sensible and "safe".

I've seen 40+ riders who take risks and who are one corner away from a serious accident.

If you keep taking risks, the odds are against you. One day you'll lose the gamble. :(

Going fast etc isn't necesarily the problem - knowing where to do it, when it's relatively safe is where it counts. And having confidence and ability - BIG FACTORS. I was speeding quite a lot :)spank:) on the recent Tour of Tassie. Knowing where I could do it was the difference. I didn't do it when there was other traffic on the road or when I didn't have a clear road ahead with lots of visibility. And I only did it to "red line" and test out my bike. My general commuting is within the speed limit. When I ride in the country, well, I can grow horns. Can't we all? :)

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I get the impression that lots of people (I'm not referring specifically to this or other forums, just riders in general) think that taking it easy or following all the traffic laws means they are keeping their risks down.

It's way more complicated than that.

I'd wager that the skilled knee dragger that hauls in the hills and knifes traffic in the city but is very vigilant and diciplined when doing so is participating in a risky activity, but a less risky one than the occasional weekend rider partakes in when they wobble around town or into the countryside with some friends without the skill, smarts, and intensity of the knee dragger.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd wager that the skilled knee dragger that hauls in the hills and knifes traffic in the city but is very vigilant and diciplined when doing so is participating in a risky activity, but a less risky one than the occasional weekend rider partakes in when they wobble around town or into the countryside with some friends without the skill, smarts, and intensity of the knee dragger.

Hats off to that. I'm lucky enough to live off Chittering Road. It is a wonderful riding road and on a Sunday many riders and bike clubs etc come up my way for a ride.

Unfortunately it brings out the "Sunday Rider Syndrome" in a lot of people. They don't ride often but have the brand new 1198 or CBR1000RR etc. They have all the gear (thank goodness) but not the talent. Some of these guys/gals are very dangerous. They cross solid white lines, they can't ride a corner on their side of the road etc etc.

Frightening to see these riders on the weekend. And more and more of them are having accidents. Some fatal.

If you don't ride often, hone your skills! Practice your cornering, emergency stops etc. Don't worry about catching up with your mates - ride to your ability.

There were many times in Tassie that I let Wolfman, Humperdinkel and Prebstar ride ahead of me. I couldn't always ride at their pace - they have a lot more experience than me. I rode at my own speed and caught up with them at a later stage in the road.

More riders should do this. Instead, they try to "show off" and catch up to and ride with their mates. This can end very badly.

RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE and STAY SAFE

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Two bike accidents in my local paper today. One guy hit a telephone pole a 100mph and killed. And another in serious condition, passing a few cars at 90 and hit a car in other lane.

Be careful folks.

CdnMedic

Reaction score
Visit site
I race motocross simply for the fact that I can let er rip in a totally controlled environment and not worry about all the stuff that can happen on the street... Not saying I never have fun on the FZ6 (my new pilot road 3s have brought on some new confidence) I just watch what I do.
I also snowmobile all winter long, so when I finally get the bikes out I don't have that anxious need to go fast feeling in the spring.

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site
Seeing as I'm local to the news at the start of this post I can say I see this kind of attitude with new riders in the area all too often. With the laws in the state of Washington make it all too easy for anyone to walk in off the street and buy a really powerful street machine and ride off with it. There are currently no license restrictions based on CC or how long you have been riding. The big one is no insurance requirement on motorcycles. With shows on TV showing stunt riders in such a positive light with no regard to safety and so little regard placed on training in Washington State the problem will never go away.

Jugro

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice how they don't mention that the driver of the Lumina turned left down 78th avenue, there by crossing the path of the rider. I've only find one paper who put that bit of information in.
http://www.bellinghamherald.com
Now, I'm not saying the rider is not at fault, he was speeding after all, but most articles make it sound like he lost control.. Not to forget they have to add that bit about the drugs and/or alcohol..
Is there some news where they actually confirm that or not?

The article reminded me of something that happened in the UK not long ago. Where the driver of the car was cleared of two accounts of "causing death by careless driving". Most likely because the only witnesses(Alive) were herself and her boyfriend.. How convenient :spank:
http://forums.anandtech.com Forum page where I first saw it.. Have links to articles and map off the chicane where the accident happened.

To answer the OP's question: Worth it, wouldn't trade my bike in for any other transportation in the world :D

dolau

Reaction score
Visit site
I do always worry when 'other motorists' say the motorcycle was travelling at 100mph- how do they know- only conjecture but reprted as fact

Probably does mean that he was motoring on a bit though

No mention of the car driver, his speed or position on the road when the motorcycle hit him

Locally here a motorcylist was very badly injured in a crash with a car and the forst thougt of many was - ahhh biker- going to fast/ overtaking etc well in this case a CBRR owner with headlights on and fluory jacket minding his own business in a line of traffic and leaving the regulation two second gap to the car in front was taken out when a car in a laybe did a U turn into the line of traffic and 'didnt see' the biker just trying to turn around in the gap between the cars

Biker has broken pelvis, arm, fingers,, lost spleen etc

gamblingwithguns

Reaction score
Visit site
And sometimes shizz just happens. I left my fz at the house last sunday and took my wifes lil dr200 for what i thought was a peaceful ride in the country.cruising down a 2 lane road (45mph)approaching a cagger in a lifted 4x4 he starts crossing the double lines, i think any second he will correct, he didnt , at the last possible second i had to pass him in the wrong lane because he was completely in my lane. possibilities, what if he had pulled back in his lane, im dead. what if someone was behind him ,im dead. close call that really shook me up. head on at 45mph probably not going to survive.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Lots of things to be said here.

As pointed out; I dislike news reporters as they only point out half of the story too often. In the OP I'd say the guy was prolly hard to see while doing 100mph (bad choice). Either way, Flying 440ft can't be good and many people will suffer from his loss. Blame is not the point here.

As for the press telling the whole story; they suck sometimes, and until someone bites down on them, they leave it that way all to often!
A long story short; some bad sh|t happened in our family years ago. My cousin completely disappeared off radar only to find small parts which they identified to be him. News reporters say he was this and he was the that, he's got a record and he's junky. Yea, sadly he was some TWENTY YEARS AGO! However, 18 years ago he got his act together, gave back to society, paid his dues, was a loving husband and and great father. Is that what was broadcast??? Nope!

They had reported that he was all this bad Sh|t until I called an wrote all of the local stations/papers and said, did you talk to family, do you know ANYTHING about him or did you just pluck the public record???

All of the local stations and the paper updated their cr@p! Thing is, its only me chiming in. I suppose I could have lead them anywhere. . .

The point is USE YOUR BRAIN! Don't become a statistic/grease spot on the road!

Last edited:

Jugro

Reaction score
Visit site
It happens more and more that news stations throws around rumors etc just to get that bit more traffic or viewers, and it's something that really pisses me off.
We are starting to see it more and more in Denmark over the last years, and when they are finally forced to correct their blatant lies,
they'll make a small notice in the paper or on their website, where nobody will see it :(

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is why I like to do slow roads. They are tight and twisty, and loads of fun, but the speed in the corners (where you're most likely to exit) is pretty low. The reason I do these roads is because if I get on a road full of sweepers, I will go like a cut snake. I stay in my lane etc. but I don't hold back any. This is also why I prefer to commute in the tight twisties (the long way to work). If I plan to go the fun way, it's all good. If I plan to go the boring way, and hold back...FAIL! I know I have a problem, so I do the twisties rather than go a bazzillion miles an hour in traffic. Even at low speed in traffic you're asking for trouble.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
It happens more and more that news stations throws around rumors etc just to get that bit more traffic or viewers, and it's something that really pisses me off.
We are starting to see it more and more in Denmark over the last years, and when they are finally forced to correct their blatant lies,
they'll make a small notice in the paper or on their website, where nobody will see it :(

THIS! ^^^

For the same reason all the media report...

1. any dog attack is a "Pit Bull attack" even if the dog was a lab or a poodle...the readers won't know the difference but it sounds better!

2. Any crime committed with a firearm is reported bashing guns as the evil, not the criminal mind that used it...they do not report about all the lives saved by armed citizens preventing crimes by owning legal firearms.

3. If some bi-polar, binge-drinking college girl accuses a professional athlete of rape...of course he did it!!!