Rider killed on my local training loop

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Redland area west of Estacada, OR.

"The motorcycle was traveling at high speed and left the roadway, police said. Several witnesses called 911. The witnesses could not find the rider at first but then found him about 60 feet away from the motorcycle. He died at the scene, according to police."

This struck me because the location is currently part of my training loop and I happened to drive that road twice yesterday in the cage.

It's a fast rural area, wide road and mostly 50mph speed limits. Everybody goes "high speed", although I wouldn't want to be riding it after 9pm. More details may follow and I might do the loop again Tuesday.

RIP, rider.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=South...ter+Rd+&+S+Harding+Rd,+Clackamas,+Oregon&z=15

Local news links:
Motorcyclist dies in one-vehicle crash near Estacada | OregonLive.com
Sheriff's office: Motorcyclist dies in crash west of Estacada | Local & Regional | KATU.com - Portland News, Sports, Traffic Weather and Breaking News - Portland, Oregon

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just logged onto the local forum down in Vegas that I use to be active on, three riders killed over the weekend, six for the week. And that's a state with a helmet law.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
"Police have identified the motorcyclist killed in a Saturday night crash north of Estacada as Alexander Mezich, 21, of Bothell, Wash.

Sgt. Dan Kraus, a Clackamas County sheriff's Office spokesman, said witnesses told deputies that Mezich sped by them at speeds estimated at over 100 mph before the crash.

Mezich was riding a 1997 Yamaha YZ100 east on South Springwater Road around 9 p.m., when he left the roadway and struck a power pole near Harding Road."

Motorcyclist killed in Estacada-area crash identified as Alexander Mezich of Bothell, Wash. | OregonLive.com

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
"Police have identified the motorcyclist killed in a Saturday night crash north of Estacada as Alexander Mezich, 21, of Bothell, Wash.

Sgt. Dan Kraus, a Clackamas County sheriff's Office spokesman, said witnesses told deputies that Mezich sped by them at speeds estimated at over 100 mph before the crash.

Mezich was riding a 1997 Yamaha YZ100 east on South Springwater Road around 9 p.m., when he left the roadway and struck a power pole near Harding Road."

Motorcyclist killed in Estacada-area crash identified as Alexander Mezich of Bothell, Wash. | OregonLive.com

Trying to figure this out, a Yz 100 looks like a little 100cc dirt/enduro bike. Can those things actually get up to 100 mph? or do you think the guy was on a yzf1000 (the precursor to an R1)

RIP Mr. Mezich

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Trying to figure this out, a Yz 100 looks like a little 100cc dirt/enduro bike. Can those things actually get up to 100 mph? or do you think the guy was on a yzf1000 (the precursor to an R1)

RIP Mr. Mezich

Yep there's bad information in there for sure. The year, model and speed can't all be correct.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I also hate threads like these.

Usually it's young, inexperienced riders on a testosterone trip but it makes us all look bad.

RIP rider.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
The rider was coming from this direction. There's a small crest by my bike in the background.

If he was doing 100+mph, perhaps he got some air and got all crossed up on the landing, possibly going into a tank slapper.

No signs of damage or markers around the intersection or adjacent fields that I could see. Like it never even happened.

iHYd42D0yQZfI.JPG

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Pretend I never posted this; "ever".. ..
Its there - you're likely not in the right place. Look for the burned up road flares and pick a point in between them.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
100 mph on a road like that with cross streets. Crazy time, he probably was riding past his headlights. He needed a warm cup of CTFD (calm the F down).

And I don't think because this guy crashed like an idiot doesn't make all motorcyclist look bad. Actually the first statistic I thought of was the highest cause of mortality for people under the age of 24 is motor vehicle accidents.