Roadkill Stories

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Earlier this evening I was inspired by an exchange between FIZZER6 and deeptekkie in a thread about windshields where they related experiences about bagging, respectively, a vulture and a chicken. So, since it's too cold to ride anywhere near here, I thought I'd start a thread to share these stories. To add spice to the stew, :D , let's assign points.

M = Mass of the beast, pounds in the US, kg elsewhere
S = Speed at impact, mph in the US,
...... kph elsewhere (since y'all have smaller critters)
...... (except the Aussies, but they'll exagerate regardless)
C = +10 if you didn't go down
R = Repair costs, local currency
H = Hospital stay, in days
G = +10 if your gear protected you from the impact
Y = +10 if you (later) ate it, yum

Score = (M x S) + C + R + H + G + Y

Bugs do not count! Unless it/they were HUGE, hit in massive numbers, or created exceptionally funny circumstances.

My Story: Dove Explosion
Spring 1980 while returning from a part-time job to college on my RD400, a mourning dove popped up from the side of the road along a really nice twisty stretch. I was doing at least 60. It hit me in the center of the chest and exploded into a cloud of feathers. I had feathers under my faceshield (3/4 helmet) and the dead bird was lodged between my jacket collar and my neck. Didn't crash. Was wearing a heavy jacket. Did not eat the bird, but I did donate it to a bio major who was collecting bird skulls.

Score = 0.3x60+10+0+0+10+0 = 38 points

Next? :Sport:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
jeez louise dont tell anyone about the dropbears, ah sheesh I mentioned them, do you think anyone noticed?

I'll edit edit edit

ah as long as no one says yowie I think we'll be ok

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
I got about 60 or 70.

A black bird (about 1-2lbs) at 50mph, flew into my left fist (had gloves). Didn't go down and didn't eat it.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
got hit square in the helmet by what I thought was a rock last week, helmet cam footage revealed it to be a small bird (maybe a sparrow).

once had a sheep run out of somebody's house at me, it was close enough to touch, luckily I avoided it

I guess 0.1*40 + 10 + 0 + 0 + 10 + 0 = 24

[MENTION=17223]FZ09Bandit[/MENTION], wiki suggests blackbirds weigh ~ 1/4 lb (80-125g) ;)

Last edited:

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Already flattened chipmunk - so ~1 pound - not named Alvin. In a turn. Didn't go down. ~50mph.

I feel really bad about assigning myself points for this.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
got hit square in the helmet by what I thought was a rock last week, helmet cam footage revealed it to be a small bird

once had a sheep run out of somebody's house at me, it was close enough to touch, luckily I avoided it

Need said footage! (not cause I don't believe you, I just want to see it!)

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like my legendary Black Vulture kill netting me 470 points by your formula since the bird weighed around 7.5 lbs and was struck at 60 mph but I did not go down, did not need medical treatment and did not need to replace any parts (unless soiled underpants count?) :thumbup:

My second kill was a large bat one night that struck me in the chest at 100 mph combined speed (I was doing 70 and it was coming at me at high speed). that bat exploded on impact, I was left with a bad blood jacket and a huge bruise as if struck by a major league fast ball!

My riding buddy once struck a dead deer in the road at 70 mph and using his dirt bike skills was able to ride over it with both shocks bottoming out and attempting to throw him off the bike but he held it together! 180 lb deer at 70 mph? That's 12,600 points already. lol

Last edited:

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Not me - but one of my riding buddies hit a groundhog at 120 - so that's 20lbs*120mph right there - he kept it up and fought a tankslapper for half a mile (you know those big fish stories).

2400 points - but I think we're forgetting another variable for #neededcleanunderwear - not sure if that part adds or detracts to the score.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
50 lb deer x 55mph = 2750 + $4,500 (FJR totaled) +10 gear saved my arse, 0 points as I didn't need to go to the hospital and 0 points cause there wasn't enough of the deer left to eat= 7,260

G saving your butt should be worth 100 points

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A story from the past..... Not sure if the bee'z count. :confused::confused:
From: http://www.600riders.com/forum/what-i-learned-today/44559-dont-get-stuck-behind-bee-transporter.html
I'm at this four way stop intersection waiting to turn right. A big truck is facing me and is to turn left. So I'm already thinking - s u c k - now I gotta follow big slow truck down the country road. (insert sadness here).

but wait - it gets better. Not only is big slow truck a flat bed, its also loaded with a bunch of BEE HIVES with active bees flying all over in state of piss'ige!!! What luck! Even though I stayed WAAAAAAAAAY back they failed to stay on the truck and next to the hive andd at least a dozen of them bounced off me at 40mph but thankfully none in the helmet and NO stings, just splatter!

In the same day:
I also learned that running over larger sized road kill means you're following too close! (freeway ride in at 730Am) Plus it burns on contact with the headers making a steak fajitas like smell! :D

It fit under the little car in front of me and I looked away for second and there was red all over. I could have swerved but I don't think I woulda missed all of it anyways. . . . Another day of riding to work and lessons learned.

Last year hit a buzzard to the hand. No downs, gear helped, bird = STUPID, Feathers = minimal. Damage = nil....

Did hit a downed bunny one day. Turned back to check on riding partner only to thump it "dead" center! :rolleyes: More Header fajitas....

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
got hit square in the helmet by what I thought was a rock last week, helmet cam footage revealed it to be a small bird (maybe a sparrow).

I guess 0.1*40 + 10 + 0 + 0 + 10 + 0 = 24

[MENTION=17223]FZ09Bandit[/MENTION], wiki suggests blackbirds weigh ~ 1/4 lb (80-125g) ;)

Felt more than that haha.

seacliff

Reaction score
Visit site
...... kph elsewhere (since y'all have smaller critters)

I would like to disagree with you.. Have you ever seen the size of a moose?

Back to your topic ::Flash:

Got no roadkill experience.. except an already dead deer and some of those big juicy bugs :D

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
Need said footage! (not cause I don't believe you, I just want to see it!)

for your viewing pleasure, here's me getting hit in the face by a bird and a slo-mo replay

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fNi1GYt5NA]bird strike - YouTube[/ame]

(you can hear the thwack as it hits me)

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would like to disagree with you.. Have you ever seen the size of a moose?

Seacliff - Oops, yes I have seen a moose, and I hope to never meet one on the road - not even while driving because I hear they're so tall they go right through the windshield. When I was starting the thread LATE last night I guess I was going more for funny than for accuracy. Aside from that I was forgetting that you guys up north use metric units but also have really big things including grizzly bears. :eek:

I was also forgetting that we have members from Africa, and maybe Andz or somebody has a story about an elephant or a water buffalo. :eek::eek::eek:

Then again, Lawlberg in Ohio has to deal with gigantic one pounder chipmunks.;)

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I was also forgetting that we have members from Africa, and maybe Andz or somebody has a story about an elephant or a water buffalo. :eek::eek::eek:

Then again, Lawlberg in Ohio has to deal with gigantic one pounder chipmunks.;)

Do tarsnakes count as animals? I feel like we've got some Cali riders who had some bad run-ins with that kind of animal!