Not open for further replies.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cliff,
Nice work!
As you know I'm following this! My Goal is to add an H4 bulb in place of the H7 bulb on the Left (viewed from seat) and then modulate the currently unused low beam element in the right side (H4) position.

So, not to thread jack, but maybe you can keep me in mind???

I am concerned about the design of both of the housings/reflector assemblies and really want to know that the beam pattern is acceptable once converted. Can the low beam on the left produce a regulation pattern if the socket is changed to an H4 bulb? Will even matter as long the depth the bulb is inserted is the same? Will hi/low bulb hinder the Hi beam output?

Where can we get the bulb retainer for cheap?? Anyone?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cliff,
Nice work!
As you know I'm following this! My Goal is to add an H4 bulb in place of the H7 bulb on the Left (viewed from seat) and then modulate the currently unused low beam element in the right side (H4) position.

So, not to thread jack, but maybe you can keep me in mind???

I am concerned about the design of both of the housings/reflector assemblies and really want to know that the beam pattern is acceptable once converted. Can the low beam on the left produce a regulation pattern if the socket is changed to an H4 bulb? Will even matter as long the depth the bulb is inserted is the same? Will hi/low bulb hinder the Hi beam output?

Where can we get the bulb retainer for cheap?? Anyone?

Thanks!

This headlamp conversion will still work to unload the low beams when you're using steady high beam at night....

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
The man himself came up to look over my Tormach CNC mill and while he was here we(more him than me, I just stood around and looked stupid, which my wife says I do really well:D) put the mod on my bike. Came out great, nice and clean and looks factory. Motogiro said if you pay for travel and lodging he will go anywhere and do the mod for you, heck of a deal:thumbup:

Jerry

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Whats the difference between this and the BD43 mod?

I am confused about this whole thing. Do you have a product you're trying to sell (for $35?). Also you referenced Radio Shack part #275-218. I looked that up and it's a $9 relay. Why do all this if you can do bd4d's mod (or tcmalker's)? Explain.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I am confused about this whole thing. Do you have a product you're trying to sell (for $35?). Also you referenced Radio Shack part #275-218. I looked that up and it's a $9 relay. Why do all this if you can do bd4d's mod (or tcmalker's)? Explain.

Yes. This is universal to any bike that has the same headlamp configuration as the FZ6. There are other bikes. This retains the high beam and adds the low beam for better visibility. When the high beam is active the low beam is inactive for proper heat dissipation in the H4 envelope. It is not more labor intensive for having a modified headlamp that works properly. :D

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I forgot to add that my dogs have a new best friend, and he brought them dougnuts too:thumbup:

Your dogs are so great! Hahaha!

Dogs are pretty interesting creatures! After you establish friendship you find that it's a friendship that may be based on territory. As I moved to different parts of Jerry's property they would become cautious again when I was at a new location. So they reacted differently when I moved toward the yard and then the same thing when I came in the house. They base things like approval on specific territories and although you are approved in the garage you may not be approved in the yard. Either this is unstudied data of the species in the science community or these dogs have figured out that they can get "Doughnut treat Tariffs" for different territories that they reign over: :rof::rof:

They are so cool! :rockon:

Last edited:

Zipper

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome mod! Installed mine yesterday and had a bit of an issue (installer error) that Motogiro went above and beyond to help me resolve. Great work.

Thanks,
Zipper

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Cliff
Do you have a wiring diagram to convert a single light FZ6N to twin?
In my case,I'm trying to wire up two 55w H3's off the single headlight wiring in the 'N' and I'm still only running with one,as I cant figure out a way to get them both lit. With the H3's they are single filament,so it would have to be one on for low and both for high.At the mo' I can only get the low lit,as the high just dims them both to nothing :(
I'm guessing I need to fit 1 or 2 relays,but after searching the net,I've come up with a blank....

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Cliff
Do you have a wiring diagram to convert a single light FZ6N to twin?
In my case,I'm trying to wire up two 55w H3's off the single headlight wiring in the 'N' and I'm still only running with one,as I cant figure out a way to get them both lit. With the H3's they are single filament,so it would have to be one on for low and both for high.At the mo' I can only get the low lit,as the high just dims them both to nothing :(
I'm guessing I need to fit 1 or 2 relays,but after searching the net,I've come up with a blank....

It sounds like you just need the original OEM switching for your configuration and shouldn't need any additional switching.

Edit: If however Yamaha had the harness wired for a single high/low beam lamp, the low beam filament will shut off. So if you turn on the high beam single filament lamp. your low beam single filament lamp will turn off. You can correct it with a relay.....

There should be a set of wires for:
Low beam 1-Black with a Green tracer and 1-Black wire
High beam 1-Black with a Yellow tracer and 1-Black wire

The all Black wires are the ground return.
When you turn on the high beam switch there should be no change in the ground return state and that sounds like that's what is happening or it's not carrying the current it needs to carry or it's wired incorrectly and some how what is being used for ground is changing state and floating.

Can you give me your color codes on the wiring to your lamps?

Last edited:

ike6116

Reaction score
Visit site
Cell phones have cameras now, I say take a video of you doing the install the next time you do it.

The PDF leaves a bit to be desired. I think this is the mod I want to do as it seems the easiest and feature rich.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cell phones have cameras now, I say take a video of you doing the install the next time you do it.

The PDF leaves a bit to be desired. I think this is the mod I want to do as it seems the easiest and feature rich.

Yes I want to do that video. We all see things from different life experience and mental assemblage points.

Let me know when you want one.:D

toddler

Reaction score
Visit site
This mod is great. I couldn't be happier with Motogiro's kit! WELL WORTH IT! Not only did he include the print outs (yeah... the same ones available in the PDF attachment but my printer was out of ink!) as well as the relay (each wire had a hand-written label on it ~ this makes his good directions EVEN BETTER) but he even included zip-ties and assorted connectors to make it all happen without a trip to Radio Shack! I did the mod in about an hour ~ taking my time ~ with just a wire cutter, needle-nosed pliers, a tiny & medium flat-head screwdriver. Headlights worked perfectly on the first try. Low beam = both headlights on low / High beam = 1 headlight high & 1 on low. I'm a visual person as well when it comes to following directions and I was a little skeptical that I was going to screw this up. But when the kit arrived ~ even without a movie of how this is done... it became really clear how to proceed. Motorgiro's got your back.

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Just had this mod done and all i can say is WOW. Motogiro hooked it up, not only did he do a professional install to make both headlights come on low beam with the ability to still use my high beam on my 05 fz6 but he also fixed some shady wiring i had from the previous owner :rockon:

Excellent and affordable headlight mod. Strongly recommend :cheer:

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
Installed the Motogiro dual headlight solution tonight. I can testify to the ease and effectiveness of this kit. It's a winner. :thumbup:

I took a brief test ride after dark and having that second low-beam light up the right side of the road, when you can't use the high-beam, is a huge improvement over the stock setup. There's all kinds of stuff out there in the dark waiting to jump out at you -- tonight it was dogs, skateboarders and scrap lumber -- so do what you can to spot it early and minimize that risk. And it will certainly help others see you.

Whichever route you take to accomplish this mod, it really is one the most important you can do for safety's sake.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
I did the mod a month ago and added a power outlet at the same time. Instructions were very clear and easy to follow. Big thanks to the forum as while doing the mod the gas tank was propped up and I could not get the bike to start. Searched the forum and found out the throttle bodies were probably flooded and needed to hold the throttle wide open and crank for a while. Took 30 seconds and a couple of trys to get it going and it did not want to run at first but finally cleared out and ran good. Road it 400 miles the next day - the last 100 or so in the dark. Great mod!

Thanks

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
I totally want to buy and do this mod, PM'ed Motogiro, hope he replies soon. Or maybe he put it up online for sale somewhere already, where I can just go and order?

Status
Not open for further replies.