Handlebar upgrade

Canadian_fz6_guy

Reaction score
Visit site
I know this is repetitive, but most of the posts on this site have broken links. And the people that posted their products you click on the link and it does not exist anymore. And their pictures don’t work either.
Just got an Fz6 2 weeks ago. Got about 250km riding. The handlebar positon isn’t great as discussed before. I’m a bigger guy and like a wider angle and need to be more upright. Everyone says fz1 bars. Has anyone tried the emgo street bike bars or euro. I got the euro style on my gs500. And they are good. But there’s vibrations. Not sure if anyone else has this issue (also doesn’t have bars ends. Maybe that’s why)
Just wondering what people use. I’m in Ontario canada.
I seem more comfy holding the ends of the bars. So I’ll probably like 30in bars. It’s the rise and set back I’m not too familiar with.

Does anyone have good things to say on the pivoting risers? Seems like the best option to get rise and set back wherever you want. Just don’t want to order something and be stuck with it. Looking for some advice I guess.

Attachments

• IMG_5166.jpeg
    IMG_5166.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5165.jpeg
    IMG_5165.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 14

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the stock bars but with combo riser/set backs.

I can't do the excessive leaning(stock is too much for me).

Handlebar end weights would certainly help, "Grip Puppies" also work for me..
A throttle body sync, especially at 4K, helps smooth the vibes..

Some pic's:

Canadian_fz6_guy

Reaction score
Visit site
I use the stock bars but with combo riser/set backs.

I can't do the excessive leaning(stock is too much for me).

Handlebar end weights would certainly help, "Grip Puppies" also work for me..
A throttle body sync, especially at 4K, helps smooth the vibes..

Some pic's:

Thx for the reply. I’m thinking of those offset risers too as an option. I don’t have vibration on the fz6. Wrist to get numb probably due to the angle and they aren’t wide enough either. Just worried about vibration on aftermarket bars. ‍♂️
Still new to aftermarket parts for motorcycles so just asking questions to people with experience. Thanks again.

Rafikki290

Reaction score
Visit site
Thx for the reply. I’m thinking of those offset risers too as an option. I don’t have vibration on the fz6. Wrist to get numb probably due to the angle and they aren’t wide enough either. Just worried about vibration on aftermarket bars. ‍♂️
Still new to aftermarket parts for motorcycles so just asking questions to people with experience. Thanks again.
I just ordered OEM F1 handlebars since that's what everyone keeps saying to swap to and to avoid aluminum due to excess vibrations. So, I'll let you know how they are after I get them and put them on. My hands go a little numb from the vibrations on the bike currently, but I have other things to check as well for the vibrations.

Canadian_fz6_guy

Reaction score
Visit site
I just ordered OEM F1 handlebars since that's what everyone keeps saying to swap to and to avoid aluminum due to excess vibrations. So, I'll let you know how they are after I get them and put them on. My hands go a little numb from the vibrations on the bike currently, but I have other things to check as well for the vibrations.
I got mine set up now. EMGO superbike bars (steel) with 1 up 1 back risers. Hand numbness of odd angle is gone, but there's still a buzz. I just received my carbtune pro in the mail, I'll use it to sync the throttle bodies and go from there. I don't have bars ends yet because I can't find inserts to the ones that were on my original bars. I've read that out-of-sync throttle bodies can cause a buzz in handlebars so I'll do that and see. One youtube guy said he went with heavy bar ends and it worked, but in a comment below he told someone he went back to normal bar ends cause his bike needed a carb sync. EMGO bars were cheaper for me than FZ1

Attachments

• fz6bars4.jpg
    fz6bars4.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 21
  • fz6bars3.jpg
    fz6bars3.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 21
  • fz6bars2.jpg
    fz6bars2.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 20
  • fz6bars.jpg
    fz6bars.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 20

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Check / adjust your sync at 4,000 besides at idle. That will help with vibs at 4 k and under.

Specs I believe are I believe up to 10mm between them. Spend the extra time (maybe a fan in front of the bike),
you can get them way closer than that...

And don't worry about overall barometric pressure, just get them all even.

I also use "Grip Puppies", like a foam that goes over the grip, which helps with vibs too. Takes a little getting use to
but they are comfy.

Lastly, gloves with gel on the inside of the hands also help greatly..

(BTW, new bars look great)

Canadian_fz6_guy

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks. I like them so far. Will be better after the sync and whatever bar ends I end up going with. I seen the video about the 4K rpm adjust. Some people were against it. I find the most vibs at 5.5K going 100km/h (little below and above) no issues below the 4K tho. I tend to always cruise in 6th going 50km/h - 100km/h. Can’t play with the gears that much in my area. She goes too fast too soon lol.
I got the carbtune pro. When I have time when I’m off work I’ll do it all properly.
Once that’s done I’ll test drive and see if I’ll need grip puppies or gel gloves. Thanks again

Canadian_fz6_guy

Reaction score
Visit site
Check / adjust your sync at 4,000 besides at idle. That will help with vibs at 4 k and under.

Specs I believe are I believe up to 10mm between them. Spend the extra time (maybe a fan in front of the bike),
you can get them way closer than that...

And don't worry about overall barometric pressure, just get them all even.

I also use "Grip Puppies", like a foam that goes over the grip, which helps with vibs too. Takes a little getting use to
but they are comfy.

Lastly, gloves with gel on the inside of the hands also help greatly..

(BTW, new bars look great)
Hey Boss. I got more questions about tuning. I did mine last month, bike works well. People say not to touch #1, but can i adjust mine back to 21.8cmhg as per the manual? My bike shows almost 23cmhg, and that's where I synced mine. #4 was off, it did reduce the buzziness I was having. BUT I still have buzziness. just did a 2 day 1400km road trip. Going 130km/h @ 7000rpm ish, steady for a while, she buzz' good. My right foot goes numb a bit and my right hand. My question is, why not sync throttle bodies in 6th gear revved up to 7000rpm? She's up on the center stand so it's safe. Or is that a faux pas? Pics attached. Thx

Attachments

• after.sync.PNG
    after.sync.PNG
    485.7 KB · Views: 1
  • b4.sync.jpg
    b4.sync.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 1

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Number 1 is your reference, all adjustments are made to #1. The value of number one is effected by your local climate (temperature, humidity & altitude) - the value of 21.8cmhg is at sea-level @ 59F. If you are not at sea-level @ 59F...I wouldn't give it any further thought.

What you should give further thought is having the bike in 6th gear at 6,000 rpm (72.5 mph) on the center stand. This IS dangerous and completely unnecessary. Shit always goes wrong at the worst possible time - and I can think of 20 things that can go wrong. Just rev the engine to 6,000 in neutral.

Canadian_fz6_guy

Reaction score
Visit site
Number 1 is your reference, all adjustments are made to #1. The value of number one is effected by your local climate (temperature, humidity & altitude) - the value of 21.8cmhg is at sea-level @ 59F. If you are not at sea-level @ 59F...I wouldn't give it any further thought.

What you should give further thought is having the bike in 6th gear at 6,000 rpm (72.5 mph) on the center stand. This IS dangerous and completely unnecessary. Shit always goes wrong at the worst possible time - and I can think of 20 things that can go wrong. Just rev the engine to 6,000 in neutral.
Ok. Sounds good then. Wasn't sure if being in gear would help with sync since it would be under load. And apparently, i'm 348m above sea level lol Would be cool if Yamaha had a perfect setting for certain altitude levels.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The TB sync is for lower RPM's, under 4K.
The butterfly's are open a bit above that, so it really shouldn't do anything(further adjusting sync).

Yamaha doesn't even mention ANY adjustments above idle.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try a 6k sync, as long as the lower #'s are good also.

Now, there is an adjustment in between the two throttle bodies to sync the actual butterfly shafts-So ALL butterflys open/close at the same time. It's a small screw with a spring between them. Over the years, someone may have dinked with them. you really need to look down the TB's to check them. Adjusting that screw, paying close attention to your gauge should help.

Note,
Back in 2004, I had some issues with my FJR and didn't have a sync tool. I brought it to a Yamaha dealership, they said it had to have a TB sync done before anything.. On the FJR, there's 4 separate TB, (not 2 like the FZ). When I later got my tool and re-checked, the dealership did NOT ADJUST THE AIR SCREW, they adjusted THAT LINKAGE.. I could see by the "broken" paint on the spring.. Now this is a DEALSHIP that f..ed this up... I found the issue later to be a water corroded connection under the tank...

Canadian_fz6_guy

Reaction score
Visit site
The TB sync is for lower RPM's, under 4K.
The butterfly's are open a bit above that, so it really shouldn't do anything(further adjusting sync).

Yamaha doesn't even mention ANY adjustments above idle.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try a 6k sync, as long as the lower #'s are good also.

Now, there is an adjustment in between the two throttle bodies to sync the actual butterfly shafts-So ALL butterflys open/close at the same time. It's a small screw with a spring between them. Over the years, someone may have dinked with them. you really need to look down the TB's to check them. Adjusting that screw, paying close attention to your gauge should help.

Note,
Back in 2004, I had some issues with my FJR and didn't have a sync tool. I brought it to a Yamaha dealership, they said it had to have a TB sync done before anything.. On the FJR, there's 4 separate TB, (not 2 like the FZ). When I later got my tool and re-checked, the dealership did NOT ADJUST THE AIR SCREW, they adjusted THAT LINKAGE.. I could see by the "broken" paint on the spring.. Now this is a DEALSHIP that f..ed this up... I found the issue later to be a water corroded connection under the tank...

Ok. I'll give that a check and see. And thanks for the other info. Its too bad it can't cure the buzziness it has at high rpms. I know they are known for it. Just sucks, its a decent bike. I enjoy riding it.

Athosch97

Reaction score
Visit site
What I found what helps for me is using "Grip Puppies", basically a foam sleeve that goes over the grip. Takes some time getting used to but they do work.

Also, riding gloves with GEL pads on the palm help buffer the vibs...

In addition to this, After the TB sync I would consider checking my chain slack, mine was too tight and had the same problem with my feet getting numb, If I'm not wrong the FZ6 chain slack is 45-55mm did mine at a little bit more than 45 and the vibrations are GONE for good. Some other people said also to change the grips because the stock ones are made for lasting forever and are very stiff. (I'm not an expert just bringing some cheap ideas to the table before you go on and start investigating the problem! Hope I helped even a bit!)

Canadian_fz6_guy

Reaction score
Visit site
In addition to this, After the TB sync I would consider checking my chain slack, mine was too tight and had the same problem with my feet getting numb, If I'm not wrong the FZ6 chain slack is 45-55mm did mine at a little bit more than 45 and the vibrations are GONE for good. Some other people said also to change the grips because the stock ones are made for lasting forever and are very stiff. (I'm not an expert just bringing some cheap ideas to the table before you go on and start investigating the problem! Hope I helped even a bit!)
I like the grips tho lol. Nice rubber. No vibes on clutch side. But there is on throttle. Probably cause it’s a tube ‍♂️. And chain was adjusted but I’ll double check too.

Athosch97

Reaction score
Visit site
I like the grips tho lol. Nice rubber. No vibes on clutch side. But there is on throttle. Probably cause it’s a tube ‍♂️. And chain was adjusted but I’ll double check too.
Don't get me wrong ;p I still use the stock grips too didn't find anything worth for replacement. As I said man, not sure if my information will be accurate just hoping to help a little :)