Low beam not working, high beam / pass beam still working

jrwlan

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey folks,

Recently I've noticed the low beam on my XJ6 has stopped working. Initially the low beam would phase between on and off before completely shutting off. This morning, after cranking up the bike I see its working again but after a minute or two it stopped.

I've already changed the bulb and have had no luck. Broken bulb hypothesis was also ruled out because the headlight low beam started working this morning again. I have noticed while changing the bulb yesterday that the connection (green wire?) seems a bit worn. Is there a chance dampness / moisture was affecting the wire?

Also I've noticed turning the handlebar will cause the low beam to phases in and out / stop working entirely so it seems like one of the wires are worn thin / being disturbed. Any ideas? I know the Fz6 shares a lot with the XJ6 so any ideas are greatly appreciated!!

jrwlan

Reaction score
Visit site
After taking off the headlight unit again I see the ground (green) connection is heavily correded and partially broken. Assume this would cause the issue I'm seeing.... now to figure out how to fix the issue

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to this great forum!
Green is not the ground. Black is ground. Black with the yellow tracer is the high beam. Green is the low beam.
Looking at the back of you plug, Left is ground or negative (black) Top center is low beam (Black w/green tracer) Right is high beam (black w/yellow tracer)

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Had a very similar issue and the plug had actually shorted and melted. Replaced the plug in short term with spade connectors but still had intermittent issue. There was a break further up the loom due to the routing and turning the bars from left to right exacerbated the problem. Un wound the tape found evidence of shorting so soldered in a completely new 3 pin plug. Issue resolved!

jrwlan

Reaction score
Visit site
Ah ok perfect that makes even more sense thanks a mill Motogiro! I done a short term fix and removed the broken off section of the wire from the pin and crimped the connected end of the wire back into the pin and it works now. My worry is since the wire is technically shorter its probably being pulled and will eventually wear through again. I assume the best solution is to solder new copper wire onto the end of the old copper wire and replace the old pin with a fresh one.

Any idea on what those pins in the headlight bulb connector are called?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ah ok perfect that makes even more sense thanks a mill Motogiro! I done a short term fix and removed the broken off section of the wire from the pin and crimped the connected end of the wire back into the pin and it works now. My worry is since the wire is technically shorter its probably being pulled and will eventually wear through again. I assume the best solution is to solder new copper wire onto the end of the old copper wire and replace the old pin with a fresh one.

Any idea on what those pins in the headlight bulb connector are called?
Those connectors are a specific size and design for H4 and H7 lamps. Funny thing is I once needed a bunch of those and I ended up ordering them from a source in the UK.
The fix that agf posted would probably be your best solution. Just match your bike color code to the position on the new plug assembly.

jrwlan

Reaction score
Visit site
Makes sense, that fix probably isn't much more effort than my idea but will be more durable. Thanks again mate!