Tire PSi difference cold vs warm tires

tlegend

Reaction score
Visit site
last couple of weeks i have been neglecting to check my tire pressue (laziness on my part) and this morning on my way to work my bike felt like crap. Handle bars were a bit heavy to turn, on small twisty road back wiggled a bit.

During lunch i went home and checked the tire pressure it was 25 front and 27 rear.

i checked the tire spec on the vin sticker on the frame it read 36 front and 42 rear.

how much difference does PSi make between cold and warm?

i filled up around 35 front and 40 rear.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
last couple of weeks i have been neglecting to check my tire pressue (laziness on my part) and this morning on my way to work my bike felt like crap. Handle bars were a bit heavy to turn, on small twisty road back wiggled a bit.

During lunch i went home and checked the tire pressure it was 25 front and 27 rear.

i checked the tire spec on the vin sticker on the frame it read 36 front and 42 rear.

how much difference does PSi make between cold and warm?

i filled up around 35 front and 40 rear.

I always thought the standard cold tire pressure was 33 front and 36 rear on the FZ6. :confused:

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
Just check next time they are cold or cool. The pressures on that sticker are for cold tire pressures the engineers take into account tire heating when coming up with those numbers.

The numbers you posted sound like the pressures for a bike loaded to maximum capacity.

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
36/42 are for 200lbs+ load I believe. While I weigh 200lbs, I find closer to the regular 33/36 psi better for all around riding. I use 35/38 (give or take given gauge error) and it feels great. But I always check/adjust the tires cold before I leave my garage.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As said above - just because the tires rated capacity is (42'ish) doesn't mean you should inflate it to max load carrying capacity. Hint; tire can be fitted to heavier bikes with greater loads.

Yamaha's suggested pressure for the load is another value like everyone posted above roughly being (33f/36r).

As for the OP question; check it often and adjust it if the temp swings more than 25F.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Chuck nitrogen in your tyres. The hot/cold temperature difference is negligible and you only have to check them every couple of months. (I run 36/42 too)

lomax

Reaction score
Visit site
OK, I will throw this out here and probably get flamed :D

I have always heard and firmly believe in that the perfect tire pressure should be a 10% increase from cold to hot.

If it is more than 10% then your pressure is to low. If it is less than 10% then your pressure is too high.

This of course changes depending on what tire you have, how you ride, and what load you are carrying.

For EXAMPLE only.

If you put in 36 lbs cold then your hot reading should be 39.6 or + 3.6 lbs.

This formula seems to give the best balance between wear and traction.

Your experiences may vary. :thumbup:

Marc

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't answer you specifically but I always gage mine cold, like the manufactures all say.
(I do know that if mine are off only a pound I can tell it on my bike and the way that I ride! I still run the OEM Bridgestones)

David Thompson

Reaction score
Visit site
I have always heard and firmly believe in that the perfect tire pressure should be a 10% increase from cold to hot.

If it is more than 10% then your pressure is to low. If it is less than 10% then your pressure is too high.

P = nRT / V
where n, R, and V are all constant in this case

i dont understand what 10% has to do with anything