Pirelli's tire pressure guide vs. stock

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Pirelli has published a technical guide which lays out its own recommended tire pressure for each of their tires specific to every motorcycle.

For example I'm running their basic Pirelli Diablo street tire and here's Pirelli's pressure for the FZ6:
Front 2.50 bar / 36.26 psi
Rear 2.9 bar / 42.06 psi

FZ6 stock:
Front 33 psi
Rear 36 psi

This is a large difference in pressure and I think many (including myself) have stuck to 33/36 on aftermarket tires.

I'd appreciate it if folks could share their experiences- have you stuck to stock pressure (33/36) or researched and ran the recommended pressure for your tire matched to your bike? Tried both, which worked better?

Here's the link to their PDF:
http://www.pirelli.com/mediaObject/..._TDB2013_low/original/PIRELLI_TDB2013_low.pdf

OneCheekRider

One Cheek On The Seat!
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe tire pressure should be changed to suit riding environment. Generally speaking, dropping pressures for aggressive riding and raising them for hwy/commuting.

My guess is Pirelli suggests their pressures for the hwy/commuting crowd as that is what the majority will do on an FZ6. Factory specs likely split the difference but keep in mind it's also for OEM spec Bridgestones. Your riding style will vary, as will your pressures and tire choices. Factory specs are usually good starting points but different people will prefer different tire pressures. My advice is get out there and find what suits your riding and preferences.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
I gave Pirelli's recommended pressures a try for a quick ride today around town. It did feel more connected and responsive. More testing needed.

Last edited:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I usually keep my tires 36/40. I don't notice much difference with rear pressures but I don't like the sluggish steering feel from low front tires.

I also encounter a lot of pot holes and nothing bends a rim faster then low pressure and pot holes.

2old2ride

Reaction score
Visit site
M20's that I run at 2.5 rear and 2.25 front. Not sure what that is in PSI. They get checked every morning, riding or not. That 2.25 and 2.5 is right off the sticker on the swingarm for a single person.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
I used to run from 28 to 32 PSI on the front and 32 to 38 on the rear. I read somewhere that that everyone had gone to 36 front and 42 rear as a across the board standard. Don't know what the reason was but you will find that people change the tire pressure depending on type of riding they are doing. Lower pressures for aggressive riding and 36/42 for commuting and touring. For track days tire pressures are even more critical depending on the bike, setup, rider and tire.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
I used to run from 28 to 32 PSI on the front and 32 to 38 on the rear. I read somewhere that that everyone had gone to 36 front and 42 rear as a across the board standard. Don't know what the reason was but you will find that people change the tire pressure depending on type of riding they are doing. Lower pressures for aggressive riding and 36/42 for commuting and touring. For track days tire pressures are even more critical depending on the bike, setup, rider and tire.

Interesting. Next time you guys come to an across the board decision, don't forget to tell me! Blah

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A tires SIZE means it holds a specified volume and that volume at Pressure XX.X is needed to support the vehicle so the tire rolls out with the desired amount of deflection.
For all practical purposes the Pressure Recommended by the VEHICLE MANUFACTURE serves as a starting pressure for the load you intend to carry.

I know some folks jack the tire pressure to the value stamped on the carcass which is typically the MAX pressure it should be inflated to to carry the MAX load stamped on the tire!
Because the TIRE FITS MULTIPLE VEHICLES, its Max LOAD may be FAR IN EXCESS of what the VEHICLE can carry so these tires are over-inflated!!
If the carcass/tire is not carrying the MAX load(when at max PSI) it tends to wear the center of the tire and loose grip (because its not deflecting to conform to the road) and **may** run cooler.

On the track, more often than not the starting pressures are lower as the tire temperatures are much higher do to friction (slip) and loading.

Running low pressures on the street often just results in tire damage due to the lack of heat input which impacts the tires pressure.

Take your tires temperature after a slab run and after a bunch of twisties (Note; a few twists is not the same heat as track use)....

Visit this!
Tire wear patterns.... Race Track Motorcycle Tyre Wear Guide - Types and Causes
Bike setup vid w/ Dave Moss.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikjw4IheeF4
Bike Setup Tech article..... Motorcycle Suspension Set-up

All of that said, some tire manufactures may advise a different pressure for best performance.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Massive thanks! I bookmarked the first two.:rockon:

Do notice that one said "RACE TRACK" wear guide!

Chris,
FWIW: Although we have the same bike, our styles vary significantly as does our intended purpose. Even tho I ran 34.5 to 36 PSI in the front of mine (solo rider canyon carver), I wore out the sides of my front tire while the tread in the center was still pretty fair. The last 3 front tires end up like a razor blades.

One could speculate that I need to run more pressure to firm up the sidewalls but there comes a point of diminishing returns. In my case, pumping the cold tires to 37 ~ 38 only resulted in slip on the street and a harsh ride. I run softer tires BT016 Pro and its simply done by 5000 miles. So 34.5 to 36 is a good pressure for my style and setup.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site

Chris,
FWIW: Although we have the same bike, our styles vary significantly as does our intended purpose. Even tho I ran 34.5 to 36 PSI in the front of mine (solo rider canyon carver), I wore out the sides of my front tire while the tread in the center was still pretty fair. The last 3 front tires end up like a razor blades.

One could speculate that I need to run more pressure to firm up the sidewalls but there comes a point of diminishing returns. In my case, pumping the cold tires to 37 ~ 38 only resulted in slip on the street and a harsh ride. I run softer tires BT016 Pro and its simply done by 5000 miles. So 34.5 to 36 is a good pressure for my style and setup.

Thanks Randy. I wish I had this discussion sooner. The bike has given me a falling sensation on turn in on several occasions at moderate angles of lean, and I wonder if it was simply the tires squirming due to inadequate pressure.

I'll look for breaks in the weather to get some more testing in. Maybe the bike will start handling easier like my old 250 did.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Randy. I wish I had this discussion sooner. The bike has given me a falling sensation on turn in on several occasions at moderate angles of lean, and I wonder if it was simply the tires squirming due to inadequate pressure.

I'll look for breaks in the weather to get some more testing in. Maybe the bike will start handling easier like my old 250 did.

What you might want to look at now is the tires shape.

My "razor blade" or ^ "pointy" tire did just that. At the right speed/lean angle it would fall in more creating a sharper turn rather unsuspecting. It was evil!

In my case I could easily see it in the tires shape. Trashed on the sides w/meat in the middle. I suspect one would get equal hate when both ends square off (if thats the case) and you fall off that edge as in; Once off the flat, it feels a little unpredictable! :don'tknow::don'tknow:.
Point: you might be looking at new tires to regain the feeling you expect.

2old2ride

Reaction score
Visit site

Chris,

Not at the time but that's OK.
I don't race, and don't ride the streets hard enough to be concerned. I still like the pictures. I just like having a number to work with. I got into the habit of daily pressure checks back when tires had inner tubes and pressure was a sneaky way to keep track of the wire spokes and the rubber seal that kept the wire tensioners more or less airtight. mostly less.
It only takes a few seconds and can save a lot of trouble.
Besides, Radials have only been around for 20 years or so. That makes them sort of new to me. Anything I can learn is appreciated.

Perfection is always a goal but seldom an achievement. I'm more then willing to take 'good enough'.