This bike gets one more chance before I sell it.

DarkNinja75

Professional Poster
Reaction score
Visit site
Good to hear although I'm willing to bet its not in your garage in a year ;)

I've only kept 2 bikes (of my 8) for over a year, so that's a reasonable bet :D

The Honda was carborated right? It if that is the difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

2001 CBR600F4i. The "i" is for fuel injected :thumbup:

DarkNinja75

Professional Poster
Reaction score
Visit site
Good to hear although I'm willing to bet its not in your garage in a year ;)

You should've put money down. The bike is going up for sale today.

The final straw was doing a trackday on it. Yes, it's not a "true" sportbike, and shouldn't be expected to haul-ass on a track. I didn't expect it to. But I at least expected it to be enjoyable.

Those throttle shortcoming became painfully obvious on the track. One turn in particular, every single time I went into it, the throttle lagged. I'd brake into it, roll on...wait...keep rolling...keep waiting...wait some more...then WHAM, now it actually accelerates. And now I'm completely off-line since I expected power sooner.

The fact that I keep asking myself if I should get a different bike is confirmation enough that I should.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

The final straw was doing a trackday on it. Yes, it's not a "true" sportbike, and shouldn't be expected to haul-ass on a track. I didn't expect it to. But I at least expected it to be enjoyable.

Those throttle shortcoming became painfully obvious on the track. One turn in particular, every single time I went into it, the throttle lagged. I'd brake into it, roll on...wait...keep rolling...keep waiting...wait some more...then WHAM, now it actually accelerates. And now I'm completely off-line since I expected power sooner.

The fact that I keep asking myself if I should get a different bike is confirmation enough that I should.
It really sounds like the bike isn't for you, sell it and get something your happy with.
Good luck and stick around.

Neil

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site

Sounds like you need a downshift. If your under 8k on a track your doing it wrong for this bike.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
lol I have the feeling he is going to have the exact same problem with his next bike. A few riding lessons should cure his problems though.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like you need a downshift. If your under 8k on a track your doing it wrong for this bike.

++1
No fuel cut above 5000.0000000000 shift down..., let it go into the corner at 9K, IT LOVES IT! :thumbup:

D

Dave.TX

I got irritated reading the first page of this 9 page thread. If you don't like it get another bike. Know that Yamaha built it out of cheap parts, it's one of the best bang for the buck bikes around. For what it is it's a great bike. No bike can please everyone. Every bike/car/truck has its quirks, some more than others. Glad to see that after 5 months of griping about it you're finally moving on.

DarkNinja75

Professional Poster
Reaction score
Visit site
lol I have the feeling he is going to have the exact same problem with his next bike. A few riding lessons should cure his problems though.

Odd that I would only that this problem on this bike, after owning 8 others. I can see how the rider being the problem is the logical conclusion. :rolleyes:

An FZ1 is still in the running for my second bike, but what I've been reading suggests the throttle lag is just as bad. A Street Triple is pretty high on the list.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got irritated reading the first page of this 9 page thread. If you don't like it get another bike. Know that Yamaha built it out of cheap parts, it's one of the best bang for the buck bikes around. For what it is it's a great bike. No bike can please everyone. Every bike/car/truck has its quirks, some more than others. Glad to see that after 5 months of griping about it you're finally moving on.
In fairness Dave I think that the OP was trying to find ways of resolving the issue to keep the bike. I do agree with you 100%, every vehicle has its own idiosyncrasies. For this guy the FZ6 didn't fit.

Nelly

DarkNinja75

Professional Poster
Reaction score
Visit site
In fairness Dave I think that the OP was trying to find ways of resolving the issue to keep the bike. I do agree with you 100%, every vehicle has its own idiosyncrasies. For this guy the FZ6 didn't fit.

Nelly

True, I wanted it to work. I had to put a lot of time and money into my SV650 before I got it just how I wanted it. I thought it'd be similar on this bike, no big deal. But it felt like the starting point on where this bike is from the factory vs where I want it to be is too far to justify.

I did a road trip last month through 1000 miles of California's mountains and the bike was great for that. Super comfy, great mileage, easy to just cruise and get a little spirited when the roads twisted. But I don't get to do those trips every month, so where the bike shines isn't where I need it to.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site

Maybe that particular corner had an incline to it and you're in too high of a gear.

I screw up like this and end up in exactly the same situation- rolling on and nothing happens for what seems like a long time.

Being a 600, if it's not howling like a banshee, it's not going to pull like a train.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Take this with a grain of salt - allot of bikes spec'd to meet government emission standards have a noticeable fuel chop when throttling up. For people coming from Carb'd bikes it can be a steep curve.

Anyway my buddy spent a huge chunk of change replacing the ECU on his 1090RR just to get rid of the fueling issue when rewetting the intake. Its now fully mappable in EVERY WAY! In short I'm envious!!!!
Its not just a Yamaha issue... Just sayin.

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
do what I plan on doing.....keep the FZ6 ......and buy a cheap track bike to beat the hell out of those days you actually get to the track. Track bikes are cheap....especially now.

DarkNinja75

Professional Poster
Reaction score
Visit site
do what I plan on doing.....keep the FZ6 ......and buy a cheap track bike to beat the hell out of those days you actually get to the track. Track bikes are cheap....especially now.

Yep, I have one. It's just under construction at the moment. Should be good to go in a couple weeks.

D

Dave.TX

Granted. I have never been to a track so don't know how the bikes run there. I had ridden 2 up before and it did fine but here in central Texas we don't have the same hills that the rest of the world does, almost nonexistent. I grew up in SoCal so know all to well about the terrain there.

Sorry if I seemed harsh. If it were me and the bike didn't work out I'd think about a way to get a different one. Maybe I'm more impatient. We all have our wants and needs in bikes that don't always match up with what others want and need. It was my first bike and within about 6 months i was ready to move on to something bigger (which I have now). Had the bike 8 months. I still miss it at times, was fun to hit the twisties in the "Hill Country" with others on sport bikes.

I did go back and see where you got a PCV and seemed to be satisfied for a couple of months. A power commander seems to improve just about any bike. I could use one on mine too (though it'd have to be a PCIII).

I still say the FZ6 is a great bike. It has a couple of flaws, the FI being the biggest. Nothing is perfect. I don't like to invest a lot to make something I want if there's something out there that fits most of the list in the first place. I almost got a VFR 800 as my first bike. Probably would've loved it. Who knows. The experience on the FZ6 was good overall and I know the guy that bought it has ridden the crap out of it since.

I had it for 8 months, put 9,000 miles on it and didn't regret one mile. Just changed the handlebars, up one tooth on the front sprocket and went back to stock exhaust, I was fine with everything else. FI was snatchy but I learned to live with it and learned how to ride with it.

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, I have one. It's just under construction at the moment. Should be good to go in a couple weeks.
Well then the FZ6 isn't for you.....but something tells me deep down inside it is....lol. Good luck.
What's the track bike you are building?

DarkNinja75

Professional Poster
Reaction score
Visit site
Well then the FZ6 isn't for you.....but something tells me deep down inside it is....lol. Good luck.
What's the track bike you are building?

Nothing special, just an old Ninja 250 racebike I got for dirt cheap. It's already set up, basically just needs the carbs cleaned and adjusted, and new tires put on.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
True, I wanted it to work. I had to put a lot of time and money into my SV650 before I got it just how I wanted it. I thought it'd be similar on this bike, no big deal. But it felt like the starting point on where this bike is from the factory vs where I want it to be is too far to justify.

I did a road trip last month through 1000 miles of California's mountains and the bike was great for that. Super comfy, great mileage, easy to just cruise and get a little spirited when the roads twisted. But I don't get to do those trips every month, so where the bike shines isn't where I need it to.

sounds like a Viffer800 would be perfect for ya. smoother than the FZ, more low end grunt, and more responsive, but every bit as comfortable for the long haul. honestly it is my perfect bike, but i really like my FZ and would have a real hard time getting rid of her.

DarkNinja75

Professional Poster
Reaction score
Visit site
sounds like a Viffer800 would be perfect for ya. smoother than the FZ, more low end grunt, and more responsive, but every bit as comfortable for the long haul. honestly it is my perfect bike, but i really like my FZ and would have a real hard time getting rid of her.

They've long been on my list of want-to-own bikes, but the weight keeps me from pulling the trigger. My least favorite bike to own was a TL1000R, solely because it was ~500lbs, which is still lighter than a VFR. I'm a pretty small guy, so I'm trying to avoid heavier bikes.

Just for fun, here's a pic from the trackday. I call this, "Hang off as far as possible so I'll stop scraping my boots."

yBA1QL8.jpg

Last edited:

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
Nothing special, just an old Ninja 250 racebike I got for dirt cheap. It's already set up, basically just needs the carbs cleaned and adjusted, and new tires put on.

I just lol'd at this. You are complaining about power delivery on the fz6 on track but your going to romp a 250? Oh boy..