This bike gets one more chance before I sell it.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
While getting 26mpg's on that map, fuel cut shouldn't have been an issue! lol

Also we have another RC truck, plane and helli person here. I'm smooth on the throttle and tend to push it with 12000 rpm cornering. At these R's the chop simply happens faster. The engine is a big air pump, the faster it spins the more air consumes. The trick is NEVER allow the throttle to close completely. Its difficult and I mess up at times upsetting the bike and it has to re-wet the intake. PS the air box mod will hurt more than it helps until other mods are made...

With the new map it's been much better! The bike feels better after I took the db milkers out, it feels like it has more power. After I added a few clicks to the shock......WOW, THIS is how the bike should have been stock! I won't touch the airbox, stock filter is fine, not even sure I want to try a k and n filter. If did a tb sync too, will test ride tomorrow.

DarkNinja75

Professional Poster
Reaction score
Visit site
sounds like somebody's confidence has taken away from their throttle control. if you're braking harder, you downshift and match, blip the throttle, and you should have finished braking and be off of the clutch before you enter the turn. the only weak point, once you really start pushing the FZ, is the front suspension. If the throttle is so bad and my bike is so "unsafe" why is it that i can ride just as fast and as safe as tons of guys on Supersports if not faster. maybe im just freaky smooth with my right hand from riding full on Motocross bikes on technical trails and flying RC planes (trust me that will smooth your coordination like crazy). My bike has never been sync'd, has no PCIII/PCV, no throttle tamer, etc. like i said its a little snatchy when i completely get off the gas or when i whack it open but thats it. i have adjusted the slack in the cable though...

Maybe you're back on throttle before the turn, but I trail brake often and getting back on throttle mid-turn with a on/off throttle is pretty miserable.

Anyway, the G2 throttle tamer finally came in and I got in installed. Like others here, I found the tube was too long. I dremmeled off the end and smoothed it down to stock size. I've only done my quick commute to work on it so far, but it's better. I'll have to spend more time with it to see if I'll be happy.

Last edited:

nixter

Reaction score
Visit site
I've only been riding for a year but shortly after I bought my bike it was taken for a ride by a former professional rider. He said the throttle on/off would be dangerous on a track. However, he also said he was pretty sure that other FZ6's he'd ridden weren't like this. This leads me to believe that there's a high degree of variation in this issue from bike to bike.

Recluse420

Reaction score
Visit site
the "fuel-cut" as many people call it is a little annoying but its not a deal-breaker for the bike. riding the FZ will make your throttle control "smood like buttah" and when you jump on another bike you will be better off. i forget who said it but:

"twist the throttle, don't roll it" - be smooth match yer RPM and it will disappear, i dont even notice it on my bike anymore except when i get off the highway and just coast.

Being my first bike I guess I just don't understand what he is talking about, ignorance is bliss.

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I did my first road trip on this bike over the weekend. It was about 400 miles to Yosemite National Park. I went with my girlfriend on the back, and my friend and his girlfriend on the back. He was on an '07 FZ6 while mine is an '08. Mountainous roads, lots of twisties with speeds around 30-50mph.

The abrupt on/off fuel injection is intolerable. It's incredibly unsettling and borderline dangerous. I have a 1995 Ninja 500 (with '88 technology) that's smoother than this. I'd roll off throttle before a turn, get back on, and enjoy a huge lurch. It got so bad that I modified my technique to keep on the throttle and drag the rear brake to scrub speed.

I'm not a beginner; it's not lack of rider ability. This is my 8th bike and I run in A group on the track. This is horrible engineering (likely caused by emissions restrictions). It should be fun, not stressful. I'm not alone on this; my buddy who I was with was thinking the exact same thing. We both stopped for a break and I said, "The fuel injection on this thing is horrible. I'm selling this bike." He replied," I was thinking the exact same thing."

I've read about the solutions. Power Commander, ECU flash, and Dynotune. But I'm not going to spend and extra $1000 to smooth out a problem that should have been fixed from the factory.

I'm going to try the G2 ergonomics tamer. If that doesn't fix it to my satisfaction, I'll be done with this bike and hunting for a Vstrom or VFR800. The only reason I'm even giving it another chance is because it's comfortable, versatile, and reliable.
So is yer friend have'in the same problem? I have a stock '07 and I don't notice any abrupt throttle. :don'tknow:
Last time out, I rode 60 mi. of gnarly dirt roads, 'n wuz think'in how great it cabarets. (I know it has FI) But I'm come'in from an FJR; if you want ta know wut abrupt throttle is, ride an '07 FJR in the rain! :BLAA:

DarkNinja75

Professional Poster
Reaction score
Visit site
So is yer friend have'in the same problem? I have a stock '07 and I don't notice any abrupt throttle. :don'tknow:
Last time out, I rode 60 mi. of gnarly dirt roads, 'n wuz think'in how great it cabarets. (I know it has FI) But I'm come'in from an FJR; if you want ta know wut abrupt throttle is, ride an '07 FJR in the rain! :BLAA:

Yep, he has the same issue. We both had passengers, which may have exacerbated the problem.

nsaP

Reaction score
Visit site
Sell it and buy something else if you don't like it...I don't know why people are so adamant that you keep it.

DarkNinja75

Professional Poster
Reaction score
Visit site
Sell it and buy something else if you don't like it...I don't know why people are so adamant that you keep it.

The throttle is my only deal-breaking issue to an otherwise well-rounded bike. I'm trying to get it to work.

I've actually decided the throttle tamer isn't sufficient, and I didn't think it would be. The idea of fixing a fueling issue by adjusting the throttle tube doesn't exactly follow. I think I'm coming to realize that the issue isn't so much on/off, but that there's a double jerk.

From completely off throttle around 4k RPMs, with continuous throttle roll-on, it will jerk once, cut, then jerk again; like on, off, on. It's really quick and really subtle. It's just odd. Riding at high RPMs does help, but it also kills fuel economy. That's pretty important on a commuter bike.

I've ordered a Power Commander from another user that should show up Tuesday. I'll tweak that a bit and hopefully get the response I want. If it doesn't fix it, then I'll be selling the bike.

fuzzysix

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had the same experience with throttle snatch. In fact my bike was up for sale but pulled the ad.
Try increasing the idle to 1600, made a noticeable difference around town. Will know for sure after a long ride.
Originally tried the co mod but no luck.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had the same experience with throttle snatch. In fact my bike was up for sale but pulled the ad.
Try increasing the idle to 1600, made a noticeable difference around town. Will know for sure after a long ride.
Originally tried the co mod but no luck.

I think 1600 rpm idle is just a little high, 1350 is about the most you need to go.

fuzzysix

Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed 1600 is high. In fact the screw is maxed out. But 1350 didn't work for me. Bike runs hotter now obviously.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Downshifting a gear before a corner to keep the throttle mid range isn't an option?

Methinks this would solve your issue :D
View attachment 48026

Mind you it's a little more expensive than a PC or throttle tamer ;)

fuzzysix

Reaction score
Visit site
Just got back from about 150 km ride. 1600 makes a huge difference. Just for kicks, try 1600+ idle. I know 100 rpm more doesn't sound like much but considering 1350 did nothing for me and 250 more made all the difference it might be worthwhile. Maybe not a permanent solution but try it out and see.....

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My idle had dropped to below 1000 and while I would occasionally stall wasnt too bad(I thought), but then I upped it to a needle width over 1000, as I don't have a an accurate tacho 'cept what's in the instrument cluster.
Made a big difference to take offs and shifts and way better in commuting traffic,
1600 sounds a little high but if you find it works...... it took me a week or two to get used to the faster idle, sounded like it was screaming, but Im ok with it now
just my two bobs worth

Last edited:

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Just got back from about 150 km ride. 1600 makes a huge difference. Just for kicks, try 1600+ idle. I know 100 rpm more doesn't sound like much but considering 1350 did nothing for me and 250 more made all the difference it might be worthwhile. Maybe not a permanent solution but try it out and see.....

Put a steering damper on it. :D

DarkNinja75

Professional Poster
Reaction score
Visit site
The verdict is in. G2 Throttle Tamer didn't cut it, so I bought a PCV off a user here. So I've given the bike a decent chance.

And I'm going to keep it. The PCV smoothed out the throttle on/off enough so that it's manageable. It's still not as smooth as my F4i was stock (a bike made 7 years earlier), but it's enough to keep me happy.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
The verdict is in. G2 Throttle Tamer didn't cut it, so I bought a PCV off a user here. So I've given the bike a decent chance.

And I'm going to keep it. The PCV smoothed out the throttle on/off enough so that it's manageable. It's still not as smooth as my F4i was stock (a bike made 7 years earlier), but it's enough to keep me happy.

Good to hear although I'm willing to bet its not in your garage in a year ;)

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Re: This bike gets one more chance before I sell it.

The Honda was carborated right? It if that is the difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2