The Mod that wouldn't die...

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Yes, the Airbox Mod :shakehead:.

I have lived with this mod for about 2 weeks, and to be honest, as soon as I get a few spare moments I am going to order a new Airbox Cover and bring it back to OEM.

I jumped in a bit to enthusiastically at this mod as I have had my bike for 3 years with no mods, so when I ran across and joined the forum, I felt like a kid in a Candy Store :drool:.

I enjoyed the novelty of the Airbox Mod for the first couple of days, but,
- after reading other comments, Wavex's insightful comments in particular (See additional Airbox Mod Threads for more on these),
- lifting the tank and removing the airbox to do bd43's headlight mod, and seeing the beating that my airfilter has been taking,
- and, growing tired of the new sound and feel of my bike.

I have decided to return my air intake system to the carefully thought out and engineered specs originally utilized by the fine engineers at Yamaha.

For all of those with the mod, I am sorry for defecting, I appreciate the How To on this, I am a firm believer in modding, but this one just isn't working for me.

Lesson learned: Put a little more thought and research into the mods that I am going to make in the future :D.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as you. Although I bought an extra lid before I did the mod.

Today I removed the AIS, replaced the cat with a straight pipe, and put the stock airbox lid back on.

I do think the airbox mod helps low end acceleration and it does sound cool under full throttle, but the vibrations and noise at full throttle are a bit too much.

I did notice quite a few leaves in my airbox because of the bigger opening.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i honestly didn't like the mod for the first week or so, but now that i have gotten used to the change i like it a lot. i guess i really don;t like change because i didn;t like my exhaust the first time out on it, but now i love it!

I guess my point is make sure that it is the mod that you don't like and not just the change in the bike that you don't like.

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the input! always helps people looking into doing mods like this.

the beauty part of this is that a new lid cover is less than $30 if you cannt live with it

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
My new airbox cover came in today. As soon as I picked it up and got home, I installed it.

The best way I can think of to describe it...it sounded like it had a chest cold, and now it's all better :)

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
how big did you cut the opening? opening it up a little and butchering it are two different things.

Bigger or more is not always better. I opened up mine mildly and noticed a huge difference. I even posted pics. I have only seen one other person post pics that look like mine. All the other ones have a huge gaping hole removing the effect of an airbox and snorkel. I don't remove the snorkel, i just open it up a bit.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
how big did you cut the opening? opening it up a little and butchering it are two different things.

Bigger or more is not always better. I opened up mine mildly and noticed a huge difference. I even posted pics. I have only seen one other person post pics that look like mine. All the other ones have a huge gaping hole removing the effect of an airbox and snorkel. I don't remove the snorkel, i just open it up a bit.

Bigger than I could live with ;).

knightrider

Reaction score
Visit site
Just reversed my air-box mod today also. It was a little annoying to me. Now most of the loud noise is in back of me from my Scorpions. Never liked the mod, my bike came with it done, now it's stock again and I like it better. Thanks for the advice jtarkany! :)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think some mods, for example this one, are dependent on other factors before they really hand back any great advantage. I would say that if you have a lower restriction exhaust and PClll and are going to dyno the bike, the air box mod would help get more air in to utilize the larger difference in air to fuel ratio.

I totally appreciate reversing this mod if it doesn't seem to work and also believe the Yamaha engineers have got most of the design of this bike right on target. :rockon:

I wonder when we will see actually data that shows us if there is a difference after doing the airbox mod, Sure after market air filter companies will tell us there is a horsepower gain. I would think they would show us some numbers that support their marketing ploys. I would think if any of us had a product that increased RWHP we would spend the money and show the numbers. Two Brothers Racing tells us horsepower gains on specific models with their exhaust when dyno'd with say the Juice Box. We are also always hearing the max horse power differences off the dynos. I've seen a difference of around 12 horse power at different RPMs when my bike was dyno'd but the peak horsepower difference was like 4 horse power.

Forgive me for forgetting who it was that also gave us the benefit of their experience. I remember them saying that there was dirt/debri where it would cause damage to your engine. so yeah you might benefit more horse power but a what cost to your engine. I'm going to check my air box this weekend and see what it looks like after the K&N and if it doesn't look happy back to the factory filter but I'm keep my "Big Gulp" air box mod.:rockon:

Later,
Cliff

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
I totally agree, if someone had the ability or resources to dyno their bike stock and then dyno it after each mod; airbox, airfilter, exhaust. PCIII, etc. That would be some very valuable information :D

wayneborn1976

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up guys, i have been researching the air box mod for a while now and came accross this thread, it made my mind up, thanks for the money saver guys. :thumbup:

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, ran mine "modded" for a season or so, put a new original back on last year, after reading a great article on air box design and my own feelings, I prefer the stock set up, for me, it was very "boggy" after the mod. The science that goes into air flow is beyond me anyway, so I'll stick with the designers math over mine.