The ignorance

well said! from ive read doesnt seem like pappy rides.... and hey on the impala comment from someone earlier! i have an 03 and besides power, im sure its better then the old "boat" in every way! impalas arent sports cars...:thumbup:

Having just bought a FZ6 a little over a month ago, I thought I'd comment on my experiences from shopping around. I compared the 6 with the 6R, the Gladius, ER-6N, Ninja 650 and GSX650F and I personally think the FZ6 is the most advanced of the lot. Looking at the frame, the swingarm and brakes alone, it should be obvious the FZ6 is not a lesser version of the 6R and is in fact one of the best deals in the mid-size standard segment. Of course I am a little biased.;)
I don't want to take anything away from the 6R, it is a very nice bike and I think better than all the rest but it's definitely not an upgraded FZ6. I think the idea that it's an upgrade comes from the fact it is new and Yamaha has all but stopped advertising for the FZ6. In the 600cc standard segment, any Yamaha choice is going to be a good one.:thumbup:

FZ6 looks no better than a Ninja 500R, same ugly front end. And as performance from the FZ6 to the FZ6R you won't notice the difference other than on a track and how many riders go to a track not many.....

How to win friends and influence people....

Sm00thpapa, You'll notice no one goes to the FZ6R section and tells them how ugly their bike is...not cool guy.

I guess this is another downside of having two different bikes sharing the same forum. Like a said earlier would be nice if there was some sort of divider for the two bikes in the forum. So when clicking home each group would only see the latest posts regarding their bikes, but there would also be an area where we can all come together and hold hands and sing Kumbaya.:D

Now having had them all, the FZ6R is really a starter bike. It doesn't compare in any way to the FZ6. My wife's R is a sweet machine but it isn't something I'd run out and buy for me, just a personal choice. The two bikes are light years apart in design sharing almost nothing in common.

I love them all and the R is a great little sport tourer with a place in the world for many folks. The FZ6 is a more aggressive machine with a lot more pull, slightly better handling and moderately better braking. The FZ6R is great for city and country touring but with the lower HP, it does a lot of damage in the corners when you hover in the 8k range. I found it easier to manage the throttle on the R.

We'll not go into the FZ1... ;)

How to win friends and influence people....

Sm00thpapa, You'll notice no one goes to the FZ6R section and tells them how ugly their bike is...not cool guy.

Ok your right, maybe I was a bit harsh. Maybe I should of just said I don't like naked bikes and the FZ6 just falls into this category. I'll go back and edit my posts.

I like the half fairing look, or half naked look. I do not like full faired bikes. So even if the FZ6RRRRRRR came with 98hp and 180 size tires, I would opt for something else.

My next bike will be a Ducati Multi-Strada, very similar to the FZ6, but it's a 1100cc bike and it's Italian.

Chow

Now, if they sold the N versions in the US? Ooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Maybe next year, I'll get the FZ1N kit and make mine a swapable faired/naked! :D

Its all good boys...we can share the same sandbox. id hate to see us FZ6R's not to be able to see you FZ6's. Its nice to see your experience and the differences in the bikes.

Anyone that has done their research knows the two bikes are clearly at different levels, at all categories. components, looks, engine.

looks as we all know have a lot to do with how humans purchase products, I think the fairing addition was a smart choice for yamaha. How many NEW riders what that racer sportbike look but need something more, well, beginner....

Both bikes have their place I think in yamaha's line up and someday I can see myself upgrading to a beefier motor, components and that may very well be the FZ6. If we humans bought things by components alone itd be borring.

Lets all agree that they ARE indeed different bikes that serve their purpose. and have their target market.

If I had to throw my OPINION in....I like the R....both for Looks and for what its intentions was. a predicable bike with predicable effects...

I can see the fairing getting old after a while....someday I may be here on the FZ6 forums with one! LOL...I almost got one myself...but I did get drawn to the fairings. and yes..I personally think there is NO way the FZ6R \is a upgrade from the other. IN fact I personally tink quit the opposite..... much nicer stuff on the fz6...b ut again...the R is no slouch Either.

I enjoy reading BOTH forums AND WOULD BE sad If I could not see you Z only guys to gain from your experience.

Tractor

See here is the thing. I have had guys tell me thier Katana will do 160, or that their ninja 250 did 120, or this or that or whatever. Just smile and nod. The folks in the know, know and the ones that are full of crap are just full of crap.

The FZ6R is cool, the FZ6 is cool. We can all get along just fine.

*smooth thanks for editing your posts, please stay chill

This thread sucks! :D

No offense to the OP.

I can't belive the R doesn't weigh under 400....then I'd want to ride one. I did take a picture of a RACE prepped FZ6R today at Laguna seca for all y'all R owners and will post later...

I would only consider the FZ6R if I hadn't seen the Fazer. I cheerfully admit that the R6 is not for me, and if I could get an aftermarket pipe for the FZ6R that came up the side a bit the looks would be great.

The naked 6R aka XJ6 looks better than the faired one imho.

Someone wanted a comparison? Here you go, from Yamaha themselves.

Motorcycle Comparison Details

I think its funny how sm00thpappa thanked the poster that said this thread sucks, when sm00thpappa was the one who made it suck in the first place.

I'm just glad that in the UK the newcomer is badged as the XJ6 or the Diversion.
At least this way it only gets confused with a Jaguar.

I agree, to each, his own. I feel that my '06 Fz6 is PERFECT for my uses and would not go as far as saying that ANY bike is not going to be ideal for another rider. I can only post about my experience. And that is that MY Fz6 is perfect for me beyond any bike that have ridden or owned in the past, GRUMPY

Sad as it is, the R does look sportier than the regular 6 so I guess it's not surprising some would think it's an upgrade. Hopefully I meet one of these people someday....I'll gleefully agree that it's an upgrade and talk them into doing a huge stoppie with their far superior brakes and maybe bending that tiny excuse for a swingarm :D

I might get flamed for it but I actually like the front plastics on the R, would totally swap them onto the 6 if it was possible :ban:

Just to add, if someone came to the FZ6R section and said the bike was ugly I wouldn't get my shorts in a twist and lose sleep over it like some people.

as soon as u were about to get out of the hole, u slipped on a banana peel and fell back in....

sure u would! ur mad because ur bike isnt as good from a pure performance stand point and that bothers u obviously. i cant imagine what ud be like if i said ur bikes ugly.... its ugly (just kidding) like ive said before, its cheaper to make a good performing bike pretty then it is making a good looking sub par bike perform.

Last edited:
Re: These people are wishing...

Ive watched quite a few videos on youtube where the person is claiming that the FZ6R is the UPGRADED version of the FZ6. WTF.

Personally I understand the R is not an UPGRADE of the 6. Maybe I was a little more informed before I started looking into bikes. I went to the dealer looking at the 6 since I have seen a couple around town and thought they looked good. After seeing the R and getting more informed I thought it was a great starter bike for less that $10k Canadian.

Now I have only been riding for about three months but I am quite pleased with the R over all. The power may not be there as it is on the 6 but who really uses the max potential of their 6 all the time anyway?

So far so good on the R. Upgrade?!? maybe not. But would a beginner such as myself really need the extras that the 6 offers while learning the finer techniques of riding.

In defense of papa the R does look better after comparing the two. lol.:Flip::D

Back