The ignorance

zigzagg321

blue is fastest...
Reaction score
Visit site
These people are wishing...

Ive watched quite a few videos on youtube where the person is claiming that the FZ6R is the UPGRADED version of the FZ6. WTF.

Last edited:

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
I have seen this also, no big deal though, they are nice machines. I was so close to buying the "R" myself but I couldn't stop looking at the aluminum frame and 180 tire on what is now my FZ6.:D I just wish that we could have different colored posts from the FZ6R users or some other easy way to distinguish between the two. There are times when I am reading bike related posts only to realize that its the fz6r being talked about and not the FZ6. My fault for not paying attention to where the discussion was posted but still would be nice to have an easy visual reference.

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
I considered the FZ6R for a short while but it seemed to close to the '08 Ninja 250R it was to replace. The FZ6 has an aluminum frame, beefier fork, larger rear tire, more HP, center stand, MUCH better looking exhaust system and far better front brakes. Plus, the "R" has too much of that boy-racer look for me. The ninjette looked good but it too felt like a bit of a fraud. Supersport looks and commuter guts.

Tim

S

sm00thpapa

Removed................

Last edited by a moderator:

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Play nice guys!:D

I got my 'leftover' '07 FZ6 for much less than they want an 'R' for right now. They had lots of '06s and '07s around here last year that just weren't selling. I wanted low maintenance, so the FZ6 was a great choice for me. The other bike on my short list was the V-Strom 650.

I do like the looks of the R though. They're selling well around here (MUCH better than the FZ6 - only one dealer even bothered to order an FZ6). People around here either want a Harley or a sportbike covered in plastic. Personally, I think the R is too much of a trade-off for the lower quality brakes, swingarm, and frame, but whatever makes people happy is fine with me. They're both good bikes.

rbesr

Reaction score
Visit site
I much prefer my '07 FZ6 to the newer "R" model. If I had wanted the boy racer look, I would have gone ahead and bought the R6 I was looking at in the first place. I'm really glad I didn't. The FZ6 fits my needs and wants to a "T".

zigzagg321

blue is fastest...
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd take the R over the FZ6 any day or the week just for the looks. The FZ6 looks whacked to me since day one.

While I would agree that the FZ6R doesnt look "whacked" I also dont think the FZ6 looks "whacked" either.

What is "whack" is the fact that the FZ6R looks so much more sporty than the FZ6, yet has less performance than the FZ6.

Because of its looks, the FZ6R is being perceived to the uninformed as an "upgrade" over the FZ6, to which it is so clearly not.

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I dont really see the looks part... the bike seems odd lookign to me... dont get me wrong, i like it, and the idea of who its being made for... I actually have talked a few people into looking at the R model, just because they are newer riders and such. Its a really good bike for what its designed for.

Now, the way i see it, (and feel free to flame me throughout the post) The R1 is just a bad ass big boy bike. The R6 is your weekend rider, power/race bike, the fz6 is for the people who want a nice fast bike, but with a little more confort for the long haul, and the R model is for people who are new to the bike scene, want a good looking bike, something thats not tiny like the 250, still gets respect, but wont get them it too much trouble. Its a great bike... BUT to compare it to the FZ6 and say its "better" is bogus. Just like saying the FZ6 is better than the R6. The R might be better for new riders, but its not better for everyone. Just as the FZ6 might be better for long trips, but not "better" than the R6 all around.

As i said though, going back to the looks, i think the rear end looks funny and empty... put next to a R6 it just looks.. i dunno. like its unevenly proportioned front to back...... but its all in what you want.

09MS_FZ6R_blk_S1_cca82fa7.jpg

06YZFR6_black_1sized.jpg

but the fz looks a little goofy too...

2009_2_Sport-FZ6_raven-2.jpg

zigzagg321

blue is fastest...
Reaction score
Visit site
the straight on side view of the FZ6 does look odd... but every other angle its great looking. The exposed aluminum frame bits on the FZ6 are killer looking IMO.

S

sm00thpapa

Removed.................

zigzagg321

blue is fastest...
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6 looks no better than a Ninja 500R, same ugly front end. And as performance from the FZ6 to the FZ6R you won't notice the difference other than on a track and how many riders go to a track not many.....

and back to the title of my thread...

This isnt a thread about which bike is better...its just a fact that the FZ6 is equipped with better parts.

This thread is about people thinking that the FZ6R is an UPGRADE over the FZ6. Which, based on the mechanical bits, it isnt. The aesthetics are all opinion.

Last edited:
S

sm00thpapa

Removed..................

zigzagg321

blue is fastest...
Reaction score
Visit site
I really could care less if it is an upgrade or not. And who says an upgrade has to have more power? When Chevy brought the Impala back it was an upgrade from the old edition with way less power. And now with the Camaro soon to be released it has way less power than the original but they call it an upgrade. I'm not here to start a war but just enjoy your bike whether it's the FZ6 or FZ6R.

not here to start a war...

saying that the FZ6 is ugly and looks like the ninja EX500 on a forum comprised of 99% FZ6 owners. lol..uh huh.

Chevy sucks... aka..the new Impalas.

The new camaro 6cyl has more power than the v8 in the original, so I dont know where you were headed with that statement.

and again, this thread is about people out there claiming the FZ6R is an upgrade OVER the FZ6. A full fairing with downgraded components does not equal and upgrade. Yamaha is calling the FZ6R their entry level bike...not an upgrade over the FZ6. lets stay on topic here...

LittleRed

Reaction score
Visit site
It would be nice if everyone stayed away from the topic of aesthetics... Each individual has their own view of what looks good and what doesn't, hence the plentiful amount of styles and aftermarket parts available.

Regarding the actual topic- I agree. I was considering the "R" for a few minutes until I asked a sales person what the difference was between the two bikes and he started listing the components that were downgraded from the FZ6 to the FZ6R. It's a wonderful bike for its intended audience, but it would be nice if that information was made readily available. Having it all out there for those in the market that don't do a fair share of research or ask a lot of mechanical-based questions would help potential buyers to make more informed decisions.

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
"Just as the FZ6 might be better for long trips, but not "better" than the R6 all around."

What???? The R6 is a track focused bike. After 20 minutes on the street you'll be begging to get off of it. With a good set of tires the FZ6 can do some damage on the track and turn around and go touring. The R6 will mop up on the track but after a 100 miles of touring you'll be in a wheel chair.

Last edited:

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd take the R over the FZ6 any day or the week just for the looks. The FZ6 looks whacked to me since day one.

That's it, come into a mans house and call his wife ugly.

FZ6 looks no better than a Ninja 500R, same ugly front end. And as performance from the FZ6 to the FZ6R you won't notice the difference other than on a track and how many riders go to a track not many.....

When you have a little more than a gallon of gas though that R I might respect your opinion a little more. I just have a really hard time with people posting advice or offering opinions about riding or what not when they haven't even ridden a freaking bike.

As far as the R being a upgraded FZ6, what a joke. Less power, downgraded brakes, smaller tires and a outdated frame. The only thing they added was a freaking faring.

Last edited: