Side Stand or Center stand?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, i have come to LOVE the center stand on this bike, it makes me feel that the bike is more stable and it takes up less space in the garage spot, plus it makes lubing the chain a peice of cake...

My question is with these 2 situations.

1.) hot day = soft pavement. Centerstand and forget it? Or the tried and true side stand with a kick plate to prevent it sinking in the pavement.

2.) Windy days. Is it more apt to catch a stiff wind and knock it over on the center stand? i am talking 45-50+ MPH gusts.

Input appreciated!

W

wrightme43

Bikes are more stable on the side stand. Center stand is for maintence.

ROACH1111

Reaction score
Visit site
I removed my center stand today, and I think it looks awesome. I've never really been one to use it. Putting it on the side stand puts my mind at ease, I worry about it on the center stand, and for me it's just not worth the worry. Taking the center stand off makes the bike look even sportier than it already does. Plus that thing is frickin heavy!

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site

+1

and storage.

This came up in another thread recently...

http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-s/790-hiya-center-stand-help-3.html#post53791

DefyInertia said:
The sidestand provides a wider 3-point stance. A locked rear wheel = parking brake (in gear).

The bike can be tipped from the front wheel to the rear fairly easily while on the centerstand. Picture a kid crawling around on you bike while it's on the centerstand.

Since the centerstand holds all but ~40 pounds, it may sink on soft asphalt even though it has wide contact points. If you slip a crushed coke can or something similar under the side stand, you should be good to go.

I've moved my bike around in tight spaces quite a bit, on both the side and center stand, and have found that it's more prone to tipping over (from being bumped into) while on the centerstand.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
I've considered getting a paddock stand to use for maintenance and removing the centre stand. I think it would look a lot better and my foot would stop hitting it all the time.

gomd3

Reaction score
Visit site
I used the center stand all the time, I works great and I've never had any problems with it almost coming off... Takes up less space when parked too, this is a problem where I park over at UMD

ADK2OBX

Reaction score
Visit site
Id love to remove that friggn heavy anchor err i mean center stand and it sure would clean up the bottom end.....But due to the design of the frame i cannot use my bike jack for the fz6.. and due to the frequent oil changes and chain maintenance i guess it will have to stay....or atleast until i get one of those sport bike jacks that go on the rear of the swing arm..

ADK2OBX

Reaction score
Visit site
I removed my center stand today, and I think it looks awesome. I've never really been one to use it. Putting it on the side stand puts my mind at ease, I worry about it on the center stand, and for me it's just not worth the worry. Taking the center stand off makes the bike look even sportier than it already does. Plus that thing is frickin heavy!

Curious as to how much the center stand weighs... could u weigh it for us since u have it off?

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site

I would have to respectfully disagree.... I'll give in certain circumstances the side stand is a better option... However, on a flat solid surface, it takes me more energy to get the bike off the centre stand than off the side stand... both left and right movement is stable on the centre stand. On the side stand only left movement (against the stand) is solid. Personally I have had 2 bikes fall while on the side stand. I have never (in 24 years of riding) had a bike fall from the centre stand. I also use the centre stand 10 to 1 over the side stand... Just my personal experience and opinion...

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh yeah, the sidestand it good for parking in tight spots like someone else mentioned. The centerstand is definitely nice to have for many reasons.

For those of you on the fence about taking it off, I still use mine for certain types of maintenance...it takes about 60 seconds to slide the bolts back through (no tools required) if you're just going to be working on the bike....I do it all the time (working on the front / changing wheels / etc.). The centertand weighs about 7 or 8 pounds including hardware.

Canadian, while on the centerstand, the bike can be tipped over to/from either side or bumped into from the rear and knocked off the stand completely (3 ways!). On the sidestand, the bike can be tipped onto the throttle side only.

Personally I have had 2 bikes fall while on the side stand.

This usually happens due to an error by the rider....when the sidestand is not all the way down, sinks into the pavement, or the bike was left in neutral. What was it that caused your bikes to fall?

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh yeah, the sidestand it good for parking in tight spots like someone else mentioned. The centerstand is definitely nice to have for many reasons.

For those of you on the fence about taking it off, I still use mine for certain types of maintenance...it takes about 60 seconds to slide the bolts back through (no tools required) if you're just going to be working on the bike....I do it all the time (working on the front / changing wheels / etc.). The centertand weighs about 7 or 8 pounds including hardware.

Canadian, while on the centerstand, the bike can be tipped over to/from either side or bumped into from the rear and knocked off the stand completely (3 ways!). On the sidestand, the bike can be tipped onto the throttle side only.

This usually happens due to an error by the rider....when the sidestand is not all the way down, sinks into the pavement, or the bike was left in neutral. What was it that caused your bikes to fall?

One was a kid (friend's child) sitting on it rocking side to side, as pretending to be a road racer... fell over on the right side. Maybe my fault as I wasn't paying attention to him. Second time was unknown. Came out from work and found the bike lying on it's side. It was on concrete, so the side stand never sunk into the ground. In this case, wasn't sure why it fell over. After that I always park it on level solid ground with centre stand.

Last edited:

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
I almost dropped the bike the other day trying to get off the centerstand. I am vertically challenged (30" inseam, 5'8") and when the bike is on the centerstand I can only tip toe. I was trying to rock it and it tipped to the left and was starting to fall onto the hood of my wife's car! I just managed in the last minute to grab the bike and when both feet hit the ground tip it back. Boy was I sweating as both the bike and the car would be my expense! During the winter, if I got for more than a bunch of days I like to keep it on the centerstand (the bike is outside). Now, I put it always on the side stand. I do love having a centerstand and it was one of the deciding (small, but added up) factors in helping me choose this bike over another one. I got used to having one with my Ninja 500. I do think it is more stable on the side stand.

ADK2OBX

Reaction score
Visit site
"For those of you on the fence about taking it off, I still use mine for certain types of maintenance...it takes about 60 seconds to slide the bolts back through (no tools required) if you're just going to be working on the bike....I do it all the time (working on the front / changing wheels / etc.). The centertand weighs about 7 or 8 pounds including hardware"

Thanks for that bit of info DefyInertia.. Just what i was thinking about doing....and going to do it this afternoon..!:thumbup:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm also a center stand, 10 - 1 as CanadianFZ6. I've never had my bike fall on the center stand at all.

Defy, I agree that the center stand can be defeated three ways but side to side takes quiate a bit of force, thus it has to be either near-hurricane force wind or someone pushing either intentionally or not. You always protect the rear when using the centerstand but putting it there with the tail closest to a no-acess zone. Like, tail to curb, tail to wall, to fence, etc... Hard for someone to push it off this way. Also, the side stand can be pushed off from the rear as well, with about the same force as the center stand.

However, for those who do track days, I can easily understand removal.

For me, the side stand is the last resort. :D That's just me though. What is interesting is how many don't use the center stand because they don't understand how. People think you need to pull the bike onto it. You don't need to pull much at all. Grab the left grip and the left pillion rail. Place your right foot on the pad for the center stand. Push it to the ground and slightly rock the bike to be sure you have both feet touching. Then, simply apply all your weight to the right foot. You will pull toward the rear with both arms but not much. Your weight on the right foot will put the bike on the stand almost by itself. If you're pulling with your arms much more than it would take to lift your helmet off a table, you're doing something wrong.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Centerstand pretty much all of the time. It makes the bike "narrower" in parking lots and less likely to be bumped and rolled off the sidestand. At work we have a lot of bikes in the m/c parking area and it is easier.

I have have a Baxley chock for centain types of maintence and the track.

W

wrightme43

Oh maybe this is the issue with the sidestand for the people that have it fall off.

When you stop shut the bike off in first gear. Release the clutch and roll the bike forward untill it is held tight by the engine, and transmission. Then flip down the side stand, and then lean the bike over.

It really does work like a charm to get a very solid three point stance with 450 lbs pressing solid on three points.

Center stands are for maintence and flat ground. I park my bike all kinds of weird places. Gravel roads, dirt, steep hills.

1) The triangle created by the contact points of the tires and the side stand is much wider than the the one that is created by the center stand and the front tire. Wider triangle and bigger area means wider area of distribution of the weight.

2) The side stand leans the bike to one side which means that it will take much more effort to knock the bike over because gravitiy is helping to hold the bike in position. To knock the bike over on the side stand, the bike would have to be pushed to the right which means that a fraction of the bike's weight has to be over come--the center stand holds the bike straight up, basically balanced. It takes much less effort to knock over something that is balanced in the middle as opposed to something that is leaned to one side. Why do we lean boards against the wall? Because they're more stable than trying to stand them up.

H

HavBlue

I use the side stand with the exception of those times when it is in the barn. When out and about and this would include those times when the Santa Ana winds were up I park it in first gear against the gear and set the stand by pulling up on the forks with the ignition in the lock position. That bike isn't going anywhere on its own. I can also use the side stand to turn the bike around in its own length which would be pretty hard to do with the center stand unless somebody has figured out a way to put wheels under it.

W

wrightme43

LOL

Oddly enough I have. LOL

I dont know how to explain it, but I will take a video later today and show you.

Basicly on the centerstand, push down on the rear and pull back to hold the bike against the center stand and just twist her around in a circle.

How do you do it on the side stand. I have tried but not been succesful yet.