Oil Change -- Side stand or Center Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

kq6up

Reaction score
Visit site
I did an oil change yesterday on the center stand. The user or service manual is not clear how it should be done. The center stand change resulted in a huge mess because it was in the way of my oil jug. Also, I used all three quarts (very close to the required 2.96US). The dip stick now indicates that it is slightly overfull. Is that a problem?

Thanks for your input.

Chris KQ6UP

:spank:

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
I usually start on he centerstand to get the bolt and filter off and start the drain. After it has sat for a bit, I use the side stand. There is certainly more oil that comes out after you tilt the bike.
I let it sit again, then return it to the center stand to put it all back together.

I would use the dip stick as your guide. If it indicates overfull, loosen the drain bolt a bit at a time and drain some out. You don't want to be running overfull.
When refilling I usually go with 3/4 of the recommended amount and fill from there until the stick reads full. Remember that the bike needs to be on a level surface and even a slight tilt will give you a skewed reading.

Tremulant

It's not over...
Reaction score
Visit site
When I drain the oil, I have the bike on the side stand...it makes draining much easier and gets the last drops out. For everything else (changing filter, filling oil) I put it up on the center stand. By the way, I love the fact that the FZ6 has a center stand!

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I use the side stand throughout the entire oil drain procedure. It puts the bike in the proper position to drain out as much of the old oil as possible. Once I have the drain plug replaced, and a new oil filter screwed on, I'll transition over to the center stand for filling the crankcase with oil. This also give me an opportunity to check my tires for wear, air pressure, cracks, and objects that might have imbedded themselves in my rubber. I'll also clean and lube the chain and give all fasteners a good once-over for tightness.

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
side --> center as well

I would let a little out until it's back in-range when measured upright and level. To accomplish that, I've loosened the drain plug with my fingers pressing tightly against the block, and then with my ninja-like reflexes let some out and quickly pressed the plug back into place and screwed it back in.

Others have been known to use a small length of narrow tubing and siphon it out the fill-hole.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I used the side stand when I did the oil and filter change a couple of weeks ago, then onto centre after a quick run to check the level. I measured the required 2.8 litres and the dip stick indicates the level is correct.

Others have been known to use a small length of narrow tubing and siphon it out the fill-hole.

I know an FZ6 owner who was using a needle and syringe and the needle fell off... resulting in an engine strip.

RyanK

Reaction score
community.webshots.com
I usually start on he centerstand to get the bolt and filter off and start the drain. After it has sat for a bit, I use the side stand. There is certainly more oil that comes out after you tilt the bike.
I let it sit again, then return it to the center stand to put it all back together.

Same here.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
I use the side stand throughout the entire oil drain procedure. It puts the bike in the proper position to drain out as much of the old oil as possible. Once I have the drain plug replaced, and a new oil filter screwed on, I'll transition over to the center stand for filling the crankcase with oil.

Bingo.

It's changing oil people....it's not any harder than this^^

If you leave a bit of old oil in the engine beacuse you drained it on the centerstand, it's not the end of the world and you don't need to pull out the turkey baster from the bedroom drawer to get the last 1/2 ounce of oil out!

It's not rocket science and you dosen't require military precision. Old oil out; put new oil in.

Been discussed in detail before: http://www.600riders.com/forum/alberta/224-what-best-oil.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.