• Just lay her down.

Votes: 7 5.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

racerws

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I generally use the side stand, except to wash or work on my bike.

Here is another question perhaps somebody can advise me on.
I was changing my front sprocket and the wrench slipped smashing my
sidestand switch. I did go to my dealer and ordered a new one.

But what if I just wired the wire together and just did away with that
switch totally? It could pose somewhat of an unsafe condition, however
a lot of customs do not have the switch, and all of the old ones do not
have the switch.

Along time ago, we used to drink out of a garden hose in the yard too!
Still alive today.

pjstud1v

n00b
Reaction score
Visit site
I always just use the sidestand. My old CBR didn't come with a centerstand, so I'm just used to the side. I plan on buying some stands for the bike so it isn't sitting on the tires all winter.

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
More stable on the side stand IN GEAR and pushed or pulled untill its up tight then leaned over.

Wont move.

Tip it on the centerstand a little left or right and over it goes.

Tip it on the side stand and it goes right back.

Forgive me for disagreeing... I usually agree with what you've got to say...

I've had the opposite experience. I live in an urban area and have to park in and around cars, in whatever space is remaining or available. I've had my bike knocked over twice, both times on the side stand.

One time the side stand was on the downhill side of the bike, the other time, the side stand was on the uphill side (it was angled in its spot much more sharply, pointed more towards the uphill, to accommodate the road tilt). The time it went over from the uphill side was decidedly worse because of the greater distance the bike traveled in order to meet the earth. :eek:(

Both times it was a car driver hitting the bike as they parked. One time they fessed up, the other time -- the worse time -- they didn't.

I guess it begs the question as to whether it would have gone over in either scenario had it been on the center stand? I dunno. But I just won't put it on the side stand anymore when I'm parking for the evening. It's been nearly a year since the last episode and hasn't gone over. I have no idea if it's been touched at all, so no clue if the center stand is making a/the difference. But I feel better knowing it's on the center.

At work, where I can park away from cars, I'll put it on the side stand.

NakedJ

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In the UK the naked only comes with a side stand. No centre stand, unless added as a mod

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
I generally use the side stand, except to wash or work on my bike.

Here is another question perhaps somebody can advise me on.
I was changing my front sprocket and the wrench slipped smashing my
sidestand switch. I did go to my dealer and ordered a new one.

But what if I just wired the wire together and just did away with that
switch totally? It could pose somewhat of an unsafe condition, however
a lot of customs do not have the switch, and all of the old ones do not
have the switch.

Along time ago, we used to drink out of a garden hose in the yard too!
Still alive today.

From a technical/mechanical point of view, you can certainly eliminate the sidestand sensor switch. My opinion is that the sidestand sensor switch is a wonderful safety device. You may remember to put up your sidestand 999 times out of a 1000, but when you go to make your first left turn on that 1000th time, very nasty things could happen. A friend of mine's cousin was killed that way many years ago. If you already ordered the switch, why not put it on?

racerws

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am going to install the new side stand sensor switch, just was wondering
how everyone felt about this safety device. Seems like we almost have
too many safety devices on stuff we purchase today.

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
Just lay her down????? You mean, like gently lay it on it's side and not use either stand????? Am I the only one confused here? :tard:

I'm assuming they're referring to bikes that have neither center nor side stands. Race bikes and dirt bikes tend to fall into this category. I'd assume a $165,000 race bike would have a pit stand, but a $165 beater dirt bike might not. At least I hope that's what they meant... :confused:

Hotei

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
When I drive it to work in the hot weather I use the center stand, as the parking lot is asphalt and even on a mildly warm day it started to sink in the ground.

If I park on concrete I will mostly use the side stand.

Center stand will reduce problem, but not always prevent bike from falling in soft asphalt. (Still have to deal with wind where I live.) Get something (I've often used a flattened soda can in a pinch) under the side stand. Now I carry a flat plastic piece about 2"x4" in my tank bag for that purpose.

Hotei

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I am going to install the new side stand sensor switch, just was wondering
how everyone felt about this safety device. Seems like we almost have
too many safety devices on stuff we purchase today.

I dunno, since we (US) have both, a center and a side stand it's probably okay? Now, if there was a center stand switch I'd say "overkill" since it would be difficult to take off w/o realizing that it's on the center stand. I imagine before long bikes will all have airbags, huh? At least there are no known motorcyles with training wheels (would look pretty ridiculous).

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
I removed my center stand a month or so ago. I do sort of miss it for chain lubing, but that's all. It looks much better without it IMHO.

B

Bo67

I like using the centerstand because it burns one more calorie than using the sidestand thus keeping my beer belly in top form.:D

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess it begs the question as to whether it would have gone over in either scenario had it been on the center stand? I dunno. But I just won't put it on the side stand anymore when I'm parking for the evening. It's been nearly a year since the last episode and hasn't gone over. I have no idea if it's been touched at all, so no clue if the center stand is making a/the difference. But I feel better knowing it's on the center.

I'm not really following your train of thought. I think you're ignoring all the unknown variables that play into whether or not your bike is upright when you go outside to ride it. Focusing on what we know for sure....

- the FZ6 can be easily tipped over from either side while on the centerstand

- the FZ6 will teeter-totter while on the centerstand (front wheel to rear)

- all but ~40 pounds rests on the centerstand when used

- the Sidestand creates a wider three-point stance

- the Sidestand allows you to use 1st gear / rear wheel as a parking brake

- you can't really park perpendicular to the curb on a sloped street unless you use the Sidestand

On the other hand...

- the Centerstand makes fitting in tight places easier (between cars etc.)

- the Sidestand is more likely to dig into the ground

- the bike will spin while on the centerstand (perhaps instead of being tipped over)

:thumbup: I vote for the sidestand as more stable...just stand there next to you bike and see which one takes less effort to knock over :D Give it a hip check to the tank or seat and see which one gets your heart racing quicker.

Whether it be wind, kids, cars, hills, floods, whatever...sidestand for me.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Side is more stable but will bury in hot tar quicker. Center will sink evenly and be a bit less stable. I use the center almost EVERY day and the side stand is reserved for the closed garage when I get home each night. :D

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not really following your train of thought. I think you're ignoring all the unknown variables that play into whether or not your bike is upright when you go outside to ride it. Focusing on what we know for sure....

- the FZ6 can be easily tipped over from either side while on the centerstand

- the FZ6 will teeter-totter while on the centerstand (front wheel to rear)

- all but ~40 pounds rests on the centerstand when used

- the Sidestand creates a wider three-point stance

- the Sidestand allows you to use 1st gear / rear wheel as a parking brake

- you can't really park perpendicular to the curb on a sloped street unless you use the Sidestand

On the other hand...

- the Centerstand makes fitting in tight places easier (between cars etc.)

- the Sidestand is more likely to dig into the ground

- the bike will spin while on the centerstand (perhaps instead of being tipped over)

:thumbup: I vote for the sidestand as more stable...just stand there next to you bike and see which one takes less effort to knock over :D Give it a hip check to the tank or seat and see which one gets your heart racing quicker.

Whether it be wind, kids, cars, hills, floods, whatever...sidestand for me.
Yes and while all that is true the main cause I have heard ppl talking about when they mention my bike tipped over is the side stand sunk in the ground or asphalt. Yes of course I don't know of anyone who owns any other type of bike that has the option side or center its just side. But I have had two incidents were I went in some where for around 5 mins top came back out and the side stand sunk into the ground one time and the other it was asphalt. Personally I don't know how far the stand has to sink into the ground before the bike will tip over. The ground where I live is mostly soft if you park the bike on the side stand its going to tip over. When I park it on the center stand the bike sinks level in to the dirt and its real hard to make it tip. I think the thing to learn here isn't should I use my center stand always or the side or which is better. I believe you have to use your head and look at the situation at hand. When I get off my bike I kick the side out if its dirt and I give it a little push. If it sinks common sense tells me not to use the side stand. If I am on asphalt I don't take a chance you can't test the asphalt like you can dirt. On concrete I use the side. It is much easier to just kick the side out vs. putting the bike on the center not to mention the bike isn't going to sink in concrete. If I am on a hill I examine the area around me and park the best and safest place and way for the bike and others who may be around it. I don't believe there is a better choice in every situation. I believe we are lucky as FZ6 owners we have that extra option. With that extra option it gives us more ways to park our bikes for the safety of others, ourselves, and the bike. But this is my opinion as is yours is yours. :thumbup:

GodSpeedLuc

Reaction score
Visit site
my bike sits on the center whenever its parked in my garage (being mostly overnight), getting washed, maintenced, or sometimes filling up at the gas station. otherwise, it's almost always on the side for various reasons: quicker to get on/off the bike, be able to lock the front wheel, and stability.

i too park in an area with a bunch of other motorcycles. but you have to get there early otheriwse you'll be stuck on the grass since the concrete pad is only so big and each year the bike number is growing. so just the other day actually i had to use the center stand as my bike was ready to tip over on the side being on the soft grass/dirt.