never though i'd fall victim to the center stand mishap...

fazer.rider

Reaction score
Visit site
never thought i'd fall victim to the center stand mishap...

so i read about another guy doing this awhile back. today i did it too. i had the rear tire spin in 1st gear while lubing it. geared up and ready to go. forgot to put it in N. BOOM there she went and dragged my whole body with it for 3 ft and it fell on the right side. axle and frame sliders saved it. only got small scratches on grab handle, passenger peg and handle bar. got a small bruise on my left shin.

careful folks. i have always remembered to bring it to N before putting bike off centerstand. not sure how i forgot today. lesson learned lol :squid:

Last edited:

victorb

Reaction score
Visit site
don't want to sound patronizing, but consider leaving it in N and spin the rear wheel with your hand while you lube it.. your fingers might thank you one day..

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're OK but the majority of folks NEVER put the bike in gear to lube the chain, clean it, etc. People that do have less than 10 digits before too long. NOT a good plan at all!

Please use this as your "lesson learned" and take the time to do it correctly.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
^ +1 Glad you're okay man.

I have read some horrible threads on other forums about the aftermath of lubing the chain while in motion. I physically tap my pocket to make sure the keys are in there before I touch my chain.

Again, glad you're okay.

fazer.rider

Reaction score
Visit site
don't want to sound patronizing, but consider leaving it in N and spin the rear wheel with your hand while you lube it.. your fingers might thank you one day..

LOL no offense taken at all. I should clarify. I never "clean" the chain when bike is in gear. I only spray lube that way. Thus I never make contact with the bike. Yeah as soon as I felt the bike launch forward I was like "ohhhhh shiiittt" lol

jmerch44

Reaction score
Visit site

I was thinking the exact same thing. I dont bother putting it in first, I just spin it with my hand. It also allows me to be more detailed and ensure every part of the chain is clean and lubed.:rockon:

Z

Zealadin

Yup, not a good idea. Accidents happen. No one ever plans on losing a finger or dumping their bike on the ground for no good reason.

Yea the first warning I got was not to do that, because even experienced mechanics have lost a finger/hand with mishaps like that (and being a noob I'd be 100x more likely to do it :D).
Tiny bit of extra time saved each chain lube could save alot of time wasted over a lifetime with a hand that looks and operates like it went through a mincer.

skyjake

Reaction score
Visit site
Yikes, I have never considered spinning my rear in first gear and cleaning/lubing the chain after putting it up on the centerstand.

That had to be horrible feeling watching your bike take off then falling. Glad your ok.

I agree with many of the theads on here. After your bike is on the centerstand, put it in neutral, and hand spin the rear tire when cleaning/lubing the chain. This will greatly reduce the risk of any bodily injury or property damage to you or others that could be around you.

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
My helpful 8-year-old son turns the tire for me while I clean or lube. :D

+1 to the "you're going to lose a finger running it in first" comments.

CdnMedic

Reaction score
Visit site
I put it in gear on the stand... left hand is on the clutch, right hand is on the spray can, and I use the "straw" with it... Very little chance to get anything caught, unless I suddenly suffer a stroke and fall into the bike...

Z

Zealadin

Its only yourself you are putting at risk using this method (well unless it hits someone if it goes flying off like in this story), and it is a risk, no matter how you do it.
Most people who have something terrible happen to them -thought- that they would be fine, and that it was only a small chance anything could go wrong.

My first riding instructor said "Learning to drive, people are taught to take unnacceptable risks, Riding is all about learning not to."