should I switch to Synthetic oil?

razteo

Special Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I change my oil & filter every 3K miles or 3 months, whichever comes first.
I use Yamalube non-synthetic oil.

I have noticed yesterday when I drained the used oil from the engine how clean it was.
It had a very light brown color & it was very clear. I had a little bit fewer than 3K miles and there were 3 months since the last oil change.

So I’m thinking maybe to switch to full Synthetic from now on, and just change it every 5 months or so.
(Same thing I do with my car - every 6 months w/ Synthetic)

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
YES, ANOTHER OIL THREAD!!!

You read my mind!!!! And took the words right out of my mouth!!!

To the OP:

Oil is an almost religious topic on this forum, - there are basicly 3 kind of members here:

Those who get the cheapest they can get.
Those who worship a special brand, no matter the price.
Those who run on whatever the dealer put in at the last service.

AND BEHOLD: SOMEHOW ALL 3 KIND OF RIDERS BIKES RUN ......

Guess the only conclusion can be: Use the oil you feel comfy with.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Same here, and I have over 54,000 kms. I change mine every 5,000 kms or when bringing it out of storage.
I also use a Fram Oil filter $8 instead of the Yamaha one $20.

FRAM SUCKS!!!
Overall, I'd rate FRAM As the Poorest filter I've ever seen. Funny thing is, I've auctually seen some "illegal knock-offs" since I tested this filter, on some Chinese vehicles I've imported, and their built stronger then the REAL FRAM!
Tech Review: The Long Waited FRAM OIL FILTER REVIEW! - dslreports.com

AVOID THIS FILTER.
OIL FILTERS EXPOSED! - Fram

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, switch!

All quality motorcycle specific oils should also carry the JASO Motorcycle Specifications, which are either the JASO-MA specification (no friction modifiers) or the JASO-MB specification (with friction modifiers). The JASO-MA rating specifies that no friction modifiers are used. Note that the JASO-MB motorcycle does have friction modifiers, but is designed for motorcycles that specify the JASO-MB specification. If the oil does not carry one of these specifications, even if the other specifications listed above are present, We recommend finding an oil that has the proper JASO specification clearly labeled on the bottle.

Read more: Motorcycle Oil Technical Facts

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site

I have noticed yesterday when I drained the used oil from the engine how clean it was.
It had a very light brown color & it was very clear. I had a little bit fewer than 3K miles and there were 3 months since the last oil change.

So I’m thinking maybe to switch to full Synthetic from now on, and just change it every 5 months or so.
(Same thing I do with my car - every 6 months w/ Synthetic)

Any thoughts?

I totally agree with everything that you said. I changed my oil at 600 miles and went back with Yamalube 10w40, but at the next change and thereafter, I will be using Mobil -1 4T Synthetic.

Last edited:

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
It's oil, as long as it change it regularly it doesn't matter what you use! If it make you feel better to use synthetic then use it, if it make you fell better to use regular oil then use it. The key is to change it as recommended.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Been using synthetic oil in my cars for 15 years. There's no better confidence than putting synthetics in your machine. Synthetic oil flows better at low temps and will offer better protection. I am sold on synthetic. I even noticed one of my cars ran consistently 15 degrees cooler running synthetic.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
The best thing to do is try different oils.
Some people don't seem to notice a difference, which in my opinion (since I do notice a major difference in my bikes running between different oil brands) is them just being not particularly aware, or caring much, which is fine, as long as they aren't trying to tell everyone that there is no difference as a fact.
That being said if you do care and pay attention its likely you'll notice a difference in how the bike runs and feels.
I wouldn't say that any oil will do damage unless its the wrong type, but as others have said if you change it often you won't have any issues, whether its the cheapest or the most expensive (but appropriate to the bike). You might however experience less engine noise, smoother and quieter gear changes and other differences.

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
I know this has been done to death on just about every forum I'm on :rolleyes:
Along with the good ole,what tyres? :D

But in a nutshell,synthetic oils only advantage,is it takes longer to break down,which is irrelevant is you change your oil regularly.

Good for cars with longer oil changes,but for bikes,well, you pays ya money and all that ;)

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Thats a bit of an oversimplification.
Synthetic is meant to be better for lubricity, with a lower pour point (good for cold starts) and better cling (so better protection).
It is also more resistant to braking down, which apparently normal oils counteract with additives, the additives are 'used up' so to say over use (not time), depending on the type of use, which is what gives the oil a shorter life.
Its also said the most damage done to your engine is during startup, which is where synthetic is again advantagous for the above reasons.
All of this aside in modern times engine production and oils are much better, so its probably not a huge issue unless your looking for a really long term motorcycle.

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I use a Synthetic and my engine runs 1 bar cooler than it did with Yamalube. I tried other brands of a synthetic oil and still went back to mama (Amsoil). For me it works the best, it is more expensive but just like that hair color commerical my bike is worth it.

Doc

S

Shamus McFeeley

Like everyone else has said: this has been done to death already.

Here is a good article about oil that should answer most of your questions and dispel a lot of the myths that I've seen propagated on this (and other) boards:

All about Oil

It has been posted many times before, and is a great reference.

kananaskis

Reaction score
Visit site
I was having "issues" with my FZ6 not dropping out of 6th gear when I was at speed for a long time in uber-hot conditions (I would have to let the bike cool down to be able to swap gears at all). I was told by the dealer that my new oil (1200 miles on it) had degraded at is was too light for the temperatures I was running in (went from cool Alberta to the desert of Nevada and 70 degree weather to 108 degree in a day...)... I swapped over to synthtic 10w40 or 15w50 (cant remember which one the stealership put in as I was sure it was more than just oil and just wanted the issue solved) and my problem vanished.
I am not an oil expert but I have been running Mobil 1 4T 10w40 without issue since and pick it up from Walmart for about 9 bucks a litre... Worth the extra price to me considering...

tt2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
from all I've heard it's the dirt you want to eliminate
synthetic is just an expense you don't need.
Changing the oil and filter every 3,000 milles
is your best way

TKarrade

Software Simian
Reaction score
www.playeralliance.com
As other people said, go with what you're comfortable with.

Props to Shamus McFeeley for link. Was going to post the same thing before I saw that.

Personally, I'm comfortable only when I get a hell of a deal... so I researched the whole oil conundrum for months before I even got my bike. I changed my oil religiously every 1000 miles or whenever I get it out of storage, whichever comes first.

I've been using Shell Rotella T with no problems, and no complaints. It meets JASO-MA and you can get it for like $10 a GALLON instead of per quart.

Shell Rotella T - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's ironic... I live on a farm and we use the same oil for this:
M04195_1.jpg

You see why I'm religious about vehicle maintenance. That thing costs more than a friggin lexus...

-TK

Last edited:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com

Lol, you change your oil every 3 months (3k mile) and you're wondering why it still looks clean?!? Well no kidding it still looks clean, it's barely been used!!!

The Owners Manual even lists changing the oil every 10K (km).

I'm all for good maintenance and everything, but damn man, your just pouring money down the drain changing your oil that often! You could easily and safely double that to 6k miles between changes.

Last edited: