My 05 will not rev past 2000 RPMs and will shut off like the kill switch was hit

chiefbawskee

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey yall, I have spent the last 2 days scouring the internet trying to figure out what is wrong with my bike (05 YZ6 with 33000 miles). Yesterday, I installed an IDEA gear indicator and some LED strip lights (to make me more noticable at night). After install and everything working correctly, I went to go take it for a test ride and put the gear indicator to learning mode so it can learn the gears. I quickly learned that my bike would not rev past 2000 rpms like and would immediately shut off like the kill switch was hit. I am a mechanic and very well versed in engine building and design and have built several race cars. I have a full range of tools from a Fluke to everything in between.

things that i have tried and tested:
  • verified that the kick stand kill switch works
  • verified that the handle kill switch works
  • checked codes: there are none
  • checked gas tank and gas (half a tank of gas and no debris inside)
  • verified TPS works (16-100)
  • checked stored codes (CPS and Tip sensor- all work as per specs)
  • Checked CPS (299 ohms- in spec)
  • adjusted idle to 1200 rpms
  • new battery
  • verified all fuses are good
  • checked oil level (good)
The bike will go into gear just fine but will shut off as soon as it gets to 1850-2000 rpms when throttle OR idle is applied in that range. It doesnt "gurgle" it just IMMEDIATELY shuts off like the kill switch was hit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If the TPS wasn't properly reconnected or had a break in the line, the bike would not start and you'd get a code. I watched about a minute of that video when it occurred to me that perhaps you accidently dislodged a vacuum hose, or possibly pinched one, while doing the installation.

chiefbawskee

Reaction score
Visit site
If the TPS wasn't properly reconnected or had a break in the line, the bike would not start and you'd get a code. I watched about a minute of that video when it occurred to me that perhaps you accidently dislodged a vacuum hose, or possibly pinched one, while doing the installation.
The TPS was never disconnected, the bike and idles at 1200 rpm just fine.
But when I move the throttle and it gets to 1800-2000 rpms the bike immediately shuts off like the kill switch was hit. There is no stumbling or anything it just immediately cuts off. I will see if I can upload a youtube video that I can show yall what is happening.

chiefbawskee

Reaction score
Visit site
it is pretty consistent with it being around the 1800-2000 rpm mark that it stalls out. I tried bumping up the idle to 1500-1600 and it will not idle for longer than 2 or 3 seconds.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You mention that the "fuel pump runs strong" but have you examined the integrated filter/screen? Also, it's impossible to know if the "fuel pump runs strong" without actually measuring the line pressure and output.

chiefbawskee

Reaction score
Visit site
You mention that the "fuel pump runs strong" but have you examined the integrated filter/screen? Also, it's impossible to know if the "fuel pump runs strong" without actually measuring the line pressure and output.
Ive seen you mention the screen before but I could not locate it, is it inside the gas tank attached to the fuel pump itself like most cars are?

Ben sIII

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
so do you thing the gear indicator is just a coincidence?
Have you tried adding revs from the throttle body and not the grip, disconnect the cables so the grip doesn't move. the video sounds like a cut off switch and with that all being in the same piece it is an easy thing to isolate

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You note that the TPS measures 16-100. What does it read at a partial throttle setting - right about where the bike dies? The value should climb in a linear manner, but you might have a dead spot at that partial throttle setting.

chiefbawskee

Reaction score
Visit site
You note that the TPS measures 16-100. What does it read at a partial throttle setting - right about where the bike dies? The value should climb in a linear manner, but you might have a dead spot at that partial throttle setting.
I just tested it again, smoothly rolls 16-100 in a linear manner. I was hoping for a dead spot.

chiefbawskee

Reaction score
Visit site
so do you thing the gear indicator is just a coincidence?
Have you tried adding revs from the throttle body and not the grip, disconnect the cables so the grip doesn't move. the video sounds like a cut off switch and with that all being in the same piece it is an easy thing to isolate
I am unsure of what I think about the gear indicator being related to this. I just tried from the throttle body and got the same effect: dies immediately at 2k rpm.