Shoe lace jam

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't feel too bad about the incident. It's important not to make these same mistakes again however. This happend to a good friend of mines while he was riding a Ducati; got his laces stuck and took him awhile to get free. Not a good feeling. A similiar situation happend to me as well; I used to wear these really ragged jeans that would get caught in the foot peg feelers. One time coming to a stop light, I got my jeans stuck in the feelers again, and struggled to get them out, luckily right when I stopped, I was able to free myself. I could not imagine the level of embarassment if I couldn't free myself in time and fall in front of an intersection full of people...

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Not laces... but the other day caught a small tear in my jeans, boot cut...

I help a student get stuff ready in the morning... The "now" frayed jeans got caught in his power wheelchair and it ripped up the back of my calf to my thigh... Yeah late to class and with an exposed leg... they looked like denim chaps

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Not laces... but the other day caught a small tear in my jeans, boot cut...

I help a student get stuff ready in the morning... The "now" frayed jeans got caught in his power wheelchair and it ripped up the back of my calf to my thigh... Yeah late to class and with an exposed leg... they looked like denim chaps

Again,- DON'T RIDE WITHOUT FULL GEAR!!!

This includes motorcycle pants, - slider jeans a an absolute minimum!!!

I would hate to see any member here get damaged becoz he or her did not wear full gear!!!!

Do yourself the favour, - you can't get another body you know!

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's been said countless times,- and now I am sying it again:

WEAR FULL GEAR!!!!

This includes boots!!! (And laces do NOT exists on real motorcycle boots).

Stop that whole "But I want to look good" thing, - and be safe instead.
If you can't walk around in your Motorcycle boots, carry an extra pair!

All those arguments like "But I can't afford boots right now" simply don't apply.
If you don't have the gear DON'T RIDE!

That being of my chest, - I am glad to hear you could walk away from what have put a real good scare in you (I know it would have in me)!

RIDE SAFE!!

Totally, totally agree.

I am amazed it took so many posts for someone to point this out.

Yes it can be a PIA to have to pack your work shoes on the bike but this story could have ended up a lot worse.

Regular shoes on a sportsbike...what can you say??

Steve

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for this post and all the valuable info. I ride with boots that have laces because that is the only way I can get boots to fit my narrow feet. However, I am now considering duct taping the laces or at the very least, tucking them in. I did get my riding pants caught on the peg more than once though and now I know why and how to fix it. :)

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
One of the main reasons I bought my ICON Motorhead boots, was that they are easy on, easy off. Faster than putting on my sneakers in fact! I know my lazy self all to well... They are also half decent to walk around in so I don't mind wearing them on bike trips to the mall or walking around off the bike.
icon_motorhead_1.jpg

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
If I am going for a ride, or will be out for a while, I always wear my boots, but I iwll be honest, if I am just putting down the street to hit up the grocery store or something, I will wear sneakers or hiking boots, both have laces. I just tuck the laces in to avoid this problem (it has happened in the past). Keep them long and tuck into the outside edge of the shoe (inside can come loose easier, I have found).

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
on a lighter note..theres nothing funnier than seeing those day-glo lycra clad turkeys on racing push bikes fall over at the lights cos they cant get their toe clips out of the pedals :Flip:

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
That happened to me, except it got wrapped around the shifter and I didn't realize it til I stopped and went to put my left foot down and couldn't. Luckily, my reaction was to immediately lean right and put the right foot down - but it could have been tragic.

Boots are next on my list - as they should be on yours.

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
Good option: remove the ball. It just screws into the bottom of the peg.
Better option: tuck in your laces.
Best option: Spend $100 and get riding boots.

Soap

Reaction score
Visit site
Bloody hell that must have been scary, only option for me is full gear. If you don't have boots on and you trap your foot, the chances are you will crush it or possibly lose it, at least with boots thats most likely not going to happen.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
on a lighter note..theres nothing funnier than seeing those day-glo lycra clad turkeys on racing push bikes fall over at the lights cos they cant get their toe clips out of the pedals :Flip:

did that in my kitchen...no joking.

When I did it at the traffic lights, Jannie banned me from wearing them. I use the rat traps again.

Steve

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i wear regular boots... just pull my sock down over the laces to keep from snags... i know ill get flamed... but i think its a little overboard wearing full gear 100% of the time... i wear jeans helmet jacket and gloves 100% but sometimes i wear tennis shoes.. :spank: me if you must... but how many of you wear helmets in your car? you could just as easily get a head injury? or wear a fire proof suit to a bonfire? or wear a radiation suit when cooking eggs? or an air tank in the shower? you can get injured at any time in life... i personally think riding like a supersport racer 100% is a little much... granted.. i suit up when i go for long hauls... but simply to work.. or around town... just the basics...

please only flame if you have a 3pt harness in your vehicle with a fire extinguisher on the A pillar :)

Mike_Honcho

Reaction score
Visit site
This actually happens to me all the time with cuffed dress pants when I ride to work. The important thing is to not panic and simply loosen yourself first and foremost. The last thing you want to do is put yourself in a position where you are moving and cannot shift either way.

I'm sure you already have thought about tucking in your laces from now on or in my case, having your pants tailored without cuffs.

Keep'er upright.

Soap

Reaction score
Visit site
i wear regular boots... just pull my sock down over the laces to keep from snags... i know ill get flamed... but i think its a little overboard wearing full gear 100% of the time... i wear jeans helmet jacket and gloves 100% but sometimes i wear tennis shoes.. :spank: me if you must... but how many of you wear helmets in your car? you could just as easily get a head injury? or wear a fire proof suit to a bonfire? or wear a radiation suit when cooking eggs? or an air tank in the shower? you can get injured at any time in life... i personally think riding like a supersport racer 100% is a little much... granted.. i suit up when i go for long hauls... but simply to work.. or around town... just the basics...

please only flame if you have a 3pt harness in your vehicle with a fire extinguisher on the A pillar :)

This seems to be what varies between British and American riders, British riders seem to very rarely wear anything apart from full gear I've noticed.

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
I got passed in traffic today by a kid riding an R6 weaving between cars wearing tennis shoes, khaki pants, and a T-shirt.

:spank:

Reaction score
Visit site
I wear combat boots, and blouse my pants on the outside of the boots.
Gloves, Jacket and Helmet...standard.

Don't ride on weekends I'm at the beach with the Family Unit...caging it there.

If I do ride civilian wise, hiking boots, with cheap pant blouse that velcros around your shoe laces.

US Calvary (is one source) Blousing Boot Band w/VELCRO® Brand Closure

Item# 22398

Good for a short trip

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This seems to be what varies between British and American riders, British riders seem to very rarely wear anything apart from full gear I've noticed.
yes, i guess you could try to turn it into a different sides of the pond sort of thing... but i guess my point is... if your not going to dress like a NASCAR driver in your Astrovan, (Fireproof suit, gloves, helmet, 5pt harness, roll cage) why dress like a MotoGP rider? like i said, i wear full gear 99% of the time, unless im making an uber quick trip. Then i might just put on a sweatshirt and Sneakers... but if its gonna be more than an hour... i full gear... Dont get me wrong.. im just trying to play devils advocate so to speak :thumbup:

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
yes, i guess you could try to turn it into a different sides of the pond sort of thing... but i guess my point is... if your not going to dress like a NASCAR driver in your Astrovan, (Fireproof suit, gloves, helmet, 5pt harness, roll cage) why dress like a MotoGP rider? like i said, i wear full gear 99% of the time, unless im making an uber quick trip. Then i might just put on a sweatshirt and Sneakers... but if its gonna be more than an hour... i full gear... Dont get me wrong.. im just trying to play devils advocate so to speak :thumbup:

Don't you think it should be the other way around? You're far more likely to get hit at an interesction in the middle of town or in the supermarket parking lot than you are on the freeway. It seems like you'd want to put on more gear if you're just cruising around the city.