Clutch Safety Switch Question

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently (yesterday) bought a 2004 FZ6. ~12,500mi and three owner (even though the third owner only put 30mi on the bike). It's completely stock and very clean. It's in much better shape than I was when I was 10. Blah

That said, as I was pulling into the garage tonight, I had the bike in first gear, clutch all the way in (just pulling into my spot) and the bike turned off. I had noticed similar behavior on the first day I had it, but shrugged it off as unfamiliarity.

But this time, I popped into neutral, restarted the bike and went to drop into first... stalled right away. And it wasn't the jerky, you let the clutch slip while in gear and the bike lurches type of stall. It was just a polite shut off. I tried a few more times thinking maybe it was a clutch issue. I rolled the bike around and tried dropping into first, stalled each time.

I also tried starting in first and the starter doesn't crank.

So next step, I hop on here, find the TPS thread that I read before I bought the bike, went through and made sure the TPS readings were in the ball park, they were. I went back and searched the threads some more.

I found a nice thread about the bike not starting first, turns out the clutch safety switch was just stuck for him and needed a little WD-40. So I grabbed the can, headed outside, sprayed a little, worked the clutch and tried to start it in first gear.... Nothing.

At this point, I pulled the switch off and cleaned it all out. Multimeter tested the switch itself. Reinstalled, multimeter tested the wires on the lead to the switch. Everything passes with flying colors (right around 20-30 ohm's when the clutch is pulled in, and null when the clutch is out).

I'm at a bit of a loss here. I rode the bike today and haven't had any stalls in traffic or issues where the bike stalled on the road when changing gears. It developed right in my garage (and previously when I was on the driveway).

I'm thinking maybe the connection is loose on the other end of the clutch switch wire? The switch checked out fine so I don't think a new one is in order, but I really don't want to end up taking my 2 day old (for me at least) bike into the local Yamaha dealer for a stupid wiring harness issue.

TL;DR

Does anyone know where the other end of the clutch safety switch connector is? I want to check that end and make sure it's not loose.

Thanks again, and this is my first thread on the forum! It's nice to see such a large and helpful community for FZ6 riders!

-Chance

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is a module that is called a starter interrupt. Neutral, clutch and side stand signals go to this module. The module contains a diode matrix and 2 internal relays to provide the safety protocol logic for starting the bike as well as sending the signal to the ECM to stop the engine if there is a problem like the bike being in gear with the side stand down. Also check to see that your side stand switch is also functioning properly.

If you're getting a neutral light and the other switches are functioning properly the module may have a problem. :)

Last edited:

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
There is a module that is called a starter interrupt. Neutral, clutch and side stand signals go to this module. The module contains a diode matrix and 2 internal relays to provide the safety protocol logic for starting the bike as well as sending the signal to the ECM to stop the engine if there is a problem like the bike being in gear with the side stand down. Also check to see that your side stand switch is also functioning properly.

If you're getting a neutral light and the other switched are functioning properly the module may have a problem. :)

Oh my gosh... What a rookie mistake. :rolleyes:

I hadn't realized the bike can't be started (in gear) with the side stand down. I just went outside and sat on the bike (I was just standing along with it previously) and it started right up in first gear.

I guess it's never a bad thing to clean out the clutch safety switch though. :thumbup:

Thanks for the help! I'll definitely keep user error in mind next time I run into an issue. :spank:

motel6

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh my gosh... What a rookie mistake. :rolleyes:

I hadn't realized the bike can't be started (in gear) with the side stand down. I just went outside and sat on the bike (I was just standing along with it previously) and it started right up in first gear.

I guess it's never a bad thing to clean out the clutch safety switch though. :thumbup:

Thanks for the help! I'll definitely keep user error in mind next time I run into an issue. :spank:

LMAO! I did the EXACT same thing. Except I kept trying to start it w/ the kickstand down. This was years ago...before I got my engineering degree (Are you suprised I actually got one). It was my first motorcycle when I was 16 and I thought the battery was a dud.

The previous owner hadn't ridden it in months - I chalked it up to the battery being dead.

So you're not alone! My first thought reading this was "but was the kickstand down?" But thought only I could be silly enough to make that mistake, lol.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
But thought only I could be silly enough to make that mistake, lol. But thought only I could be silly enough to make that mistake, lol. But thought only I could be silly enough to make that mistake, lol. But thought only I could be silly enough to make that mistake, lol. But thought only I could be silly enough to make that mistake, lol. But thought only I could be silly enough to make that mistake, lol.

there you go thats for the rest of us that I'm sure have also made this slight error.

The next error to tick off the list is that pesky little KILL switch. thats the other one that's going to make you think "whats wrong, it was running ok a minute ago!"
btw If I missed your join up... Welcome!

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
LMAO! I did the EXACT same thing. Except I kept trying to start it w/ the kickstand down. This was years ago...before I got my engineering degree (Are you suprised I actually got one). It was my first motorcycle when I was 16 and I thought the battery was a dud.

The previous owner hadn't ridden it in months - I chalked it up to the battery being dead.

So you're not alone! My first thought reading this was "but was the kickstand down?" But thought only I could be silly enough to make that mistake, lol.

Haha! The ironic part of this is that I'm actually working on an engineering degree myself!

But thought only I could be silly enough to make that mistake, lol. But thought only I could be silly enough to make that mistake, lol. But thought only I could be silly enough to make that mistake, lol. But thought only I could be silly enough to make that mistake, lol. But thought only I could be silly enough to make that mistake, lol. But thought only I could be silly enough to make that mistake, lol.

there you go thats for the rest of us that I'm sure have also made this slight error.

The next error to tick off the list is that pesky little KILL switch. thats the other one that's going to make you think "whats wrong, it was running ok a minute ago!"
btw If I missed your join up... Welcome!

Thanks for the advice and the welcome!