Shoe lace jam

sfcali86

Proud Dad
Reaction score
Visit site
so i was going for a ride i was at an intersection i put my left foot down like i was taught at the Msf course when you come to a stop. I had regular shoes on, the light turned green i put my foot up to change gears and my shoe lace got stuck in the ball that is under the foot peg, i tried pulling but nothing i started to panic so i just drove on first gear and pulled over as soon as i could scary i think boots might be my next purchase anybody get a scare like this ??

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, I had a similar experience.

Was riding to work, and had on my Steel-toe leather boots (lace-ups), same as you, went to take off and the lace got caught on the peg-scraper.

Horrible feeling, (from memory, I was running late for work and didn't bother putting my riding boots on), and I haven't ridden with laces since.

:)

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, glad it turned out okay. I haven't had this happen to me - I wear Alpinestars boots without laces - but I have heard other folks having this problem. It gets worse if the lace hangs and prevents you from putting your foot down!!

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got my lace caught in the REAR peg once. That was an awkward moment on the highway while I was fiddling with the string.

paulinus

Reaction score
Visit site
I did something very similar the 2nd day I had my FZ. I had a hole in the seam of my Carharts near the cuff. I pulled up to the stop sign at the end of my street (literally 150 feet from my house) and as I pull out from the sign, I'm caught!!! I had this bad mental image of dropping my BRAND new baby right there in the intersection. I managed to get unhooked without anything bad happening. I'm glad your situation ended well :)

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You are lucky that you didn't lose your balance and go down. I don't understand, you took the MSF course where they teach you to put your left foot down, but didn't you pay attention of what type of footwear you should have when you ride a motorcycle? Preferably with no laces! Get some riding boots brother, you got off lucky. They say motorcyclist don't get 2nd chances, I think you just did.

thirty_too

FZ6 Junkie
Reaction score
Visit site
not going lie... you deserve it... thats what you get for not gearing up properly... nevertheless, it happened to me too but we all learn.... i do hate when i get the edge of pants caught on the 'ball' on the bottom of the peg... jeans and/or riding pants... real bummer....

vdbergj1

Manna
Reaction score
Visit site
It is an exact copy of what happened to me - pulled in the clutch and free to the side. Luckily there were no cagers behind me. It got me to question that damn knob, what is it actually doing there. But only ride with boots from then on.

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
It's been said countless times,- and now I am sying it again:

WEAR FULL GEAR!!!!

This includes boots!!! (And laces do NOT exists on real motorcycle boots).

Stop that whole "But I want to look good" thing, - and be safe instead.
If you can't walk around in your Motorcycle boots, carry an extra pair!

All those arguments like "But I can't afford boots right now" simply don't apply.
If you don't have the gear DON'T RIDE!

That being of my chest, - I am glad to hear you could walk away from what have put a real good scare in you (I know it would have in me)!

RIDE SAFE!!

W

wrightme43

Yep on the real boots deal man.

Also take those stupid peg feelers off and throw them away.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
If you wore sandals this wouldn't have happened!

Seriously though, get some riding boots. I had the same thing happen when I first got my bike and wore hiking boots.

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
Happened to me when i first started biking 5 years ago. I stopped at a traffic light, went to put my left foot down and couldn't. It was stuck to the peg as the lace had got stuck. Luckily I immediately leant over to the right and just caught it. Could have been disastrous, and embarassing! I bought my first pair of boots shortly afterwards

Jedi

Pillion Boy no more!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess the training over in the states must be slightly different to the training here in the UK, because on my CBT course our trainer explained exactly what can happen if laces get caught on a bike, from the mildly embarassing of falling over because you can't put your foot down, to the possibly fatal of having your foot pulled into the chain at speed.

Also, there are thousands of websites out there giving really good advice on what kind of gear to wear on a bike and they all say wear boots without laces, so really there's no excuse for not knowing this if you do your research before riding.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Atta boy! Thought we'd have to show you some bloody picturess of riders feet ground up by the chain :)

I actually own a pair of Oxtar boots with laces BUT they have a huge velcro strap that holds the laces in place. Rarely wear them choising my Alpinestar boots first.

Good M/C boots have oil resistant soles for better traction at stop signs where cars drop fluids.

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Been there, done that. :)

After that experience, I tucked the laces into the side of the shoes to prevent it from happening again. Now, like others, I wear AGATT and can't recall the last time that I rode without motorcycle boots on.