Supermarket Drop--anybody else?

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Anybody else ever do this? On Saturday, I did something for the first time: In the liquor/wine department, I placed a 1 liter glass bottle of Merlot wine in the toddler seat area of my Safeway grocery cart. Before I knew it, the bottle slid backwards through and out one of the two openings (intended for toddler's legs). Startled, and in a---I didn't think it would work but I tried anyway---desperate move, I quickly extended one of my legs and positioned my shoe so that the bottle would be cushioned before it could fall to the floor. But, it didn't work. Even though I deflected it temporarily, the bottle rebounded off my foot, and shattered upon hitting the floor. Big broken chunks and pieces of green glass littered the masive spill of red liquid. "DANG IT!" I yelled out. I think a few people, including one employee in the nearby bakery dep't couldn't help but hear the bottle break and me subsequently loudly curse. Gawd, how could I have fumbled the ball like that! The Safeway employee came over with a safety cone to cordon off the spill and chuckled when I asked what the policy was, if it was a "You break 'em, you pay for 'em" policy. OMG, I was so embarrased but, at the same time, was glad that it wasn't a$50.00+ bottle of Dom Perignon 1998, Mouton Rothschild 1945 or something. OMG, would Safeway still brush it off as an "accident" expense and not require the customer pay up? OMG. Now I think that I can relate better to how a NFL player feels after fumbling on the 1 yard line. Next time, I put the grocery cart child seat flap UP (or palce in the lower, main cart) so that this won't happen again!:spank:

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't done that with wine, but I have with a few other items, like eggs. When it hits your feet the brake, and go splat when they hit the floor. I once seen a guy drop a cheap bottle of beer, don't know what brand, but it made the whole checkout area of fred meyer's smell like rotten pickles and nasty beer. All I could think about the beer was, I'm not buying that brand! :BLAA: