sand in the timing chain oil...really sad days

the archer

Reaction score
Visit site
I laid my 09 fz 6 over and now there is a dime size hole in the timing chain cover {oil pump cover}. I removed the cover today and found a lot of sand and silt everywhere inside the housing. What is my best course of action?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Bummer. You ok?

Drain the oil. Pull the header, pull the pan and grab some brake cleaner and MAF cleaner.

You'll want a new gasket for the cover, the pan and a seal for the oil pump pickup strainer.

Sanity says, pull the pan and if debris is in the pick up we talk some more. If the pan is free of debris, you clean the affected area, the pan, the strainer and bolt it back together.

As for the timing chain. If its thrown grit everywhere it may be wise to replace it.
Basically read up on doing a valve adjustmet as that is the labor involved. Figure if you do the valve adjustment while there, you will be in it about 8hrs. The chain is cheap and with it out, you can flood the area with solvent.

Obviously you'll want some new oil and filters. Maybe dump something cheap in it, run it for five miles and dump it. It just depends how far it went and what you find.
Sorry!