Poll: missed shifts to 2nd?

On anything of a regular basis (eg. once a month) do you miss the shift from 1st to second gear and

• No, never. I ALWAYS get a CLEAN shift to 2nd.

Votes: 21 13.9%
  • Rarely, but it has happened that I can remember maybe a handful of times EVER.

Votes: 80 53.0%
  • I notice this from time to time. My shifting technique is ok but it still happens sometimes.

Votes: 50 33.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
On anything of a regular basis (eg. once a month) do you miss the shift from 1st to second gear and end up in neutral with a THUD or a CLUNK noise???

wanna know if its just me.

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know it happened right after i got my bike, but maybe only once or twice since... try pre-loading the shifter before shifting, it will possibly make a world of difference to you

W

wrightme43

If I have trouble with shifting into second for some reason and this may only be in my mind, I change the oil and it goes away for a long time.

Steph

Bartender
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't remember ever ending up in neutral, but the clunk was definitely there. More so when the bike was cold...or maybe that was before I was warmed up lol

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I never get a clunk when missing the shift to 2nd, but when I shift back into gear THEN I get a loud clunk.

Most of the time I hit neutral is when I'm acceleration to redline and trying to shift fast, and I grab a handful of throttle and hear the rev limiter sing.

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
It happens at lower speed. If you get the revs up higher the shift smooths out and it slips right in the way we like it. If you shift around 4K it's easy to miss 2nd and it clunks more. Shifting at 7 or 8K is much mo betta.

wildcardfz

Reaction score
Visit site
I havent had the clunk but I have failed to get 2nd gear a few times. Every time it is at low speeds and low rpm's. I have a streach of road that all ways has lots of pine needles leaves or other stuff to slide on so I take it slow through that set of turns. Thats where i've had it happen to me the most.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Same as Rob, at first, there were a few times it happened but since then, I've developed the instinct to preload the shifter. I also adjusted it down a bit so I don't have to lift as far with my toes.

The clunk is always there, it's a Yamaha characteristic inherent to nearly all their bikes. I believe it is the awesome power of the engine being anxious while waiting to be unleashed. :thumbup:

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
I have on occasion but more often miss first gear coming down - oh I hate that.

I have thought that different riding footwear (boots for me) would effect shifting. Maybe try a different boot...?

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have on occasion but more often miss first gear coming down - oh I hate that.

I have thought that different riding footwear (boots for me) would effect shifting. Maybe try a different boot...?

Footwear can play a role. Some are thicker at the shift toe than others. Toy with the adjustment and you can move the lever up or down. Some folks, like me, have a limited range of movement in their feet/ankles, so adjusting the lever to a more downward position made shifting for me a lot easier. :thumbup:

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I never get a clunk when missing the shift to 2nd, but when I shift back into gear THEN I get a loud clunk.

Most of the time I hit neutral is when I'm acceleration to redline and trying to shift fast, and I grab a handful of throttle and hear the rev limiter sing.

Me too the other day next to a vespa and the dude thought I wanted to race...
Im goofy...

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Sometimes I get lazy and don't preload the shifted, that's the only time it happens.
No big deal. The "clunk" is normal, but certainly less noticeable at higher RPMs.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL LOL

What kind did you use Lone?

:)

YMS-4AP10-40-12.jpg

And @ the results....

seems like it's a lower speed/rpm issue. The vast majority have had this issue so it seems to be a characteristic of the bike.

btw, what does everyone mean by "preload the shifter"? Apply pressure on the shifter with your foot before you start the actual "shift"?

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
^^Yep. Preloading will get you faster, more positive shifts. I try to preload every gear, up or down.