Picked up new (06) FZ-6 Today!!

bttek

Reaction score
Visit site
I was looking at buying a used 06 but my dealership still had a brand new 06 FZ in stock and gave me a price that I could not refuse!!

The bike is great but I have a question. I much prefer the speedo/analog tach on the 07-08 and found that I can buy one for about 300.00 Does anyone know if you can simply purchase the new display and will it be a "plug & play" deal??

TIA!!

Brian

VWci

Reaction score
Visit site
I was looking at buying a used 06 but my dealership still had a brand new 06 FZ in stock and gave me a price that I could not refuse!!

The bike is great but I have a question. I much prefer the speedo/analog tach on the 07-08 and found that I can buy one for about 300.00 Does anyone know if you can simply purchase the new display and will it be a "plug & play" deal??

TIA!!

Brian

I dont like digital tacho, too. I am looking forward to read answers.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. Killer deal huh? How much Out The Door? Forget the new tack and speedo for the time being and use the $300 and invest in some gear. Mesh jacket and some pants.

yamaha rider87

Reaction score
Visit site
congrats and if you look through the fz6 mods threads there are a couple guys on here that have done swaps to other tachs and such not sure about a straight swap from an 07 onto your 06. One option would be to talk to a certified yamaha mechanic and see if they can tell you

Tebster _ fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
The later clocks wont fit unless you change the entire upper cowling and associated parts, the mounting points, electrical connection and the plastic that surrounds it are totally different, unless you can come across a complete 2008 upper cowel in a vehicle dismantlers it wont be economical to do.

rvbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
First welcome to the forum. You'll find that the members and advice here are top notch.welcome:

I understand your enthusiasm for modding your bike now, but my advice is to hold on to your doe and ride, ride, ride your bike. And as you do, you will develop a priority list of mods and I’ll bet the speedo won’t be your top choice.

I see you got the fast blue…Good choice!:rockon:

bttek

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your comments and welcome to the forum. The FZ is a really nice ride and I am just getting comfortable with its idicocyrcacies like the clunky 1-2 shift. After riding it for a couple hundred miles already, one accessory I would like to get is a digital readout that tells you what gear you are in. I know that as time goes on, I will be able to tell by the RPM's and speed that its going but it would still be a nice add-on if it was easy to install.

Does anyone know if the ECU on the bike limits the amount of power that the engine puts out until a specific amount of miles is reached? Sometimes manufacturers purposely retard the ignition timing and lean the fuel mixture until X miles for break-in/warranty purposes.

abner

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Brian.....? Shut up and ride!

Do yourself a favour and ride it for a while before you spend your hard earned money on it.

Try using the rpm mode on the odometer instead. Thats how I started... at a glance you know what rpm you arereving to the 10's. Eventually you will started reading the graduations around the outside of the speedo, and taking notice of rpms by ear.

As far as the lack of power... make sure you are reving high enough. When I first jumped on my new FZ, I wondered why I blew the money on a new bike with little power gain. Problem was I was used to reving 3500 - 4000 and hitting it. The FZ starts at just over 7000, for cruising you want to be 5500 -6000.

As you stated, the shift indicator is not required once you get used to the bike. I cruise around town in 2nd or 3rd, and know that i'm in 6th when I'm reving 6000 and doing 120 kph or 7000 doing 140 kph... proably a little trickier math in mph.

Give yourself some time to get used to the bike before you do any mods... FE will be your first.

bttek

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I was expecting a bit more power down low.. When cruising around town, I find myself shifting at 5-6K and revving around 3-4K. Since the engine is so new, I did not want to rev it too much during break-in.

From what I am reading, these bikes don't start to come on until after 10k!!

Hey Brian.....? Shut up and ride!

Do yourself a favour and ride it for a while before you spend your hard earned money on it.

Try using the rpm mode on the odometer instead. Thats how I started... at a glance you know what rpm you arereving to the 10's. Eventually you will started reading the graduations around the outside of the speedo, and taking notice of rpms by ear.

As far as the lack of power... make sure you are reving high enough. When I first jumped on my new FZ, I wondered why I blew the money on a new bike with little power gain. Problem was I was used to reving 3500 - 4000 and hitting it. The FZ starts at just over 7000, for cruising you want to be 5500 -6000.

As you stated, the shift indicator is not required once you get used to the bike. I cruise around town in 2nd or 3rd, and know that i'm in 6th when I'm reving 6000 and doing 120 kph or 7000 doing 140 kph... proably a little trickier math in mph.

Give yourself some time to get used to the bike before you do any mods... FE will be your first.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
welcome!

- gear!
- speedo swap won`t be plug and play mechanically, and I don`t think it will be electronically compatible either.
- for more power down low, try swapping the front sprocket to a 15t (16t is stock), it`s cheap, easy, and can be done in 15min.

Good luck :rockon::cheer:

:edit: http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/esjotfront.cfm for the sprocket... or LSL handlebar :)

Last edited:

hedmisten

handegraphix.com
Reaction score
Visit site
power is around 8k...let it get broken in and you'll fall in love with the powerband. I raced my best friend and his R6 tonight and hung with him till 100mph when we quit. He was very impressed with the powerband in the fz

S

sportrider

Yeah, I was expecting a bit more power down low.. When cruising around town, I find myself shifting at 5-6K and revving around 3-4K. Since the engine is so new, I did not want to rev it too much during break-in.

From what I am reading, these bikes don't start to come on until after 10k!!

about 8000rpm is where the FZ6 starts to make it's "real" power, short shifting it will only make it bog. it has a 14000rpm redline, once you are used to the bike don't be afraid to wring it out. I didn't see if you've already said, but is this your first bike? how long have you been riding?
:welcome:

bttek

Reaction score
Visit site
I have not been revving it that high so once I get at least 500 miles on it, I will have to see what it feels like at 8k+

This is my first road bike but I have had a few dirt bikes in the past. As soon as I got on the FZ, I felt really comfortable with its handling.

about 8000rpm is where the FZ6 starts to make it's "real" power, short shifting it will only make it bog. it has a 14000rpm redline, once you are used to the bike don't be afraid to wring it out. I didn't see if you've already said, but is this your first bike? how long have you been riding?
:welcome:

S

sportrider

cool deal, just take your time as you learn street riding, there are some "habits" you've learned in the dirt that will get you in trouble on the street. invest in good gear. the FZ6 is a horse of a different color once the tach passes 8000 :thumbup:

bttek

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been taking it easy on the back roads away from the heavy traffic getting used to the bike.

Regarding the safety eqpt, here in South Florida it is so damn hot and humid that wearing leather is basically out. I already have a nice helmet and gloves and need some kind of protective jacket but can anyone recommend something that is comfortable to wear in these type of weather conditions?

Regarding "mods" the first thing that my dealer recommended was to change the front sprocket to a 15T which was already said. Once I get more comfortable with riding it on the street would this mod make a big difference in acceleration?

cool deal, just take your time as you learn street riding, there are some "habits" you've learned in the dirt that will get you in trouble on the street. invest in good gear. the FZ6 is a horse of a different color once the tach passes 8000 :thumbup: