'07 FZ-6 vs '06 Kawi Z750s

Coffee357

Reaction score
Visit site
As a brief introduction ... I put 37,000+ trouble free miles on an '06 Z750s before totalling the bike out in a "mistake". I recently purchased, as her replacement, a 2007 FZ-6. After having had several requests to compare the two I have decided to do it here in it's own post. Just keep in mind that I only have a lil over 300 miles on the FZ so these are only initial impressions...

The two bikes are very similar in riding position with the feet being placed slightly further forward on the FZ. This feels a little different but seems to make no difference in comfort or control.

The body had more wind protection on the Kawasaki with smoother air, less buffeting, and the air striking a little further up on the body. This is countered somewhat by the fact that the FZ provides the rider with vastly more wind protection for the the hands (something I definitely appreciate in the winter!). This isn't saying the FZ is bad on wind protection, just that the Kawi comes out a little ahead.

The seat... The Kawi Z750s is notorious for having a horrible stock seat and it pretty much is. I was quite used to the seat by the time I (sob!sob!) wrecked her and didn't mind too much but friends continued to comment on the lack of comfort. The FZ isn't totally comfortable for me at this point with different pressure points than the Kawi. I still recall more trauma from the familiarization phase of the 750 than I am experiencing from the FZ... and the FZ doesn't throw my unmentionables against the tank every time the pavement gets rough! (that, by the way, is a BIG plus :D) My passengers rate the comfort on the FZ as noticably better with adequate padding and a more relaxed foot position. They have mentioned that the seat, with the underseat exhaust, gets warm (and I have confirmed this) but say not uncomfortably so. This heat came about after an hour long group ride at moderate speeds so I'm not sure if more air flow might have helped...

Instrumentation... Both bikes are very good with the 750 having an analog tach and speedometer and the FZ having an easy to read digital speedometer and an analog tach. Both have fuel gauges but the Kawi only has an idiot light for the temp and the FZ tells ya how hot your running. Slight edge to the FZ... once I get used to it ;)

Performance / engine... The 750, as expected, definitely had an edge in torque and low rpm performance. This lack of torque, along with an unfamiliar clutch, makes the FZ slightly easier to stall - a problem I expect to go away as I get more used to the setup. The FZ, in spite of it's bad press in the media about "buzziness" is actually quite smooth in comparison to the 750. I think I actually prefer the smoothness of the yamaha motor (my neighbor, a Triumph rider, says the FZ feels like it has an electric motor). The FZ feels more comfortable at the speeds I'm supposed to be riding at but still has the performance to play. I guess this one's a draw.. miss the power of the Kawi (though the FZ has more than enough) but like the smoothness of the Yami.

Milage... Still out on this one. I averaged about 45 - 47 mpg with the 750s with down to about 42-43 with a passenger. The only tank I've been able to figure milage on with the FZ put me at about 40.3 mpg BUT... the bike is still in breakin, I had a passenger the entire duration of the tank, the ride involved a long stop-and-go group ride, and it's winter (something that almost always brings my milage down 3-5 mpg for some reason). I feel that under similar riding conditions the bikes will be... well, er, similar.

Overall.. Both are awesome bikes. I miss the 750 but look forward to developing a relationship with the new bike. The fact that the FZ is still sold in the states and the Z750s isn't kinda makes the FZ the current winner but I don't think a person could go wrong with either bike.

That 'bout sums it up but I'll try to post more when I get a few more miles on the FZ.

Coffee

Last edited:

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
thank for sharing this information,i was one of the many requests that you had...i chose my 07 FZ6 S2 over a 06 Z750 and was quite curious about the comparison...this cleared up my mind,,,looks like nothing sticks out :)