Test rode a new FZ-09

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
So, two days ago, it was really nice outside here in Pennsylvania. I rode my 2004 FZ6 to lunch then decided to stop by the local shop (Blackmans) to see if they had an FZ-09 yet.

The had a nice looking red one on the floor. I was drooling over it a little, and the cool salesman came and talked to me. He talked to me a bit about the bike and asked if I wanted to sit on it. He pulled it out of the line and let me sit on it. Wow, it is light and tiny feeling.

As I was sitting on the bike, he asked if I wanted to take it for a test ride. Huh? When I bought my 2004 FZ6 new in 2004, there were no test rides allowed, and I had to beg the dealership owner to let me take a short spin on it. According to the salesman, two years ago Yamaha started a demo bike program for certain models including the FZ1, FZ8, FJR, some cruiser and now the FZ-09. I was wearing my roadcrafter and holding my helmet and gloves so I said, "Yes, I'd like to take it for a ride." He copied my license, I filled out a form, he threw a plate on the bike and sent me out.

He warned me that throttle mode was abrupt off idle in modes A and STD, but I assured him that I knew all about off idle throttle since I owned an FZ6. Well, it's worse on the FZ-09 than on the FZ6! I didn't stall, but I had to slip the clutch a little to get it going smoothly.

The bike felt light, very light. The seating position was very comfortable, but I felt very far forward and sitting up high. It was just a little odd, but not bad. It might have just been the visual effect from not having a fairing in front of me. The LCD dash was pretty much useless, maybe even more useless than the one of my FZ6, because it seemed to be lower from my sight range. The front turn signals were very apparent though, since there wasn't a front fairing. I did notice the colored lights on top of the LCD display, and could see the speedometer, but I'd much prefer an analog tach with a digital speedometer. Didn't they learn from 2004?

Anyways, I've never ridden a three cylinder, but it was neat! Lots of torque anywhere in the rev range, and it had a really cool sound that is tough to describe. It revved nicely and almost sounds like an inline four, but meatier. There was power everywhere. Very odd after riding the FZ6. It felt very good to twist the throttle and I didn't notice and jerkiness once off idle.

There was a lot of traffic (a pickup pulled out in front of me from a driveway, and then I got stuck behind a mailman) and being unfamiliar with the bike, I didn't push it, but I got a basic feel for the few miles that I rode it. It handled nicely and the brakes worked well. The suspension didn't feel too cheap to me, but I didn't ride it hard enough to tell anything.

The wind blast from no windshield wasn't too bad. It was far quieter than the turbulent air that blasts me on the FZ6. I think I'd like some kind of windscreen or fairing though if I had a choice. It felt different to be up high, and out in the open, as compared to the FZ6.

I could really get used to a bike like that, as long as the power didn't get me in trouble.... The sound and feel of the motor was really neat. Riding the FZ6 again, was like getting into a honda civic after driving my Trans-Am, as the torque difference was really noticeable.

I bought my FZ6 new in 2004, so maybe the ten year itch is going to hit me and I'll pick up a FZ-09 in 2014? Who knows, but I definitely liked the bike and am happy that Yamaha now has a demo ride program.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Erci and I (NOT at the same time) sat on one at the AMA race at NJMP, like you said, very upright seating. I felt like it kind of locked you in, a very secure feeling. I still want a fairing tho.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty awesome ride hey! The throttle jerkyness comes from excessive lean condition off throttle. Once all tune the bike is much better.

Im riding the old 6R this morning... just like you said. I feel like im riding a mini van! LOL

Can't go wrong with the 09... 50-60 ft.lb all across the powerband... lovely!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
Erci and I (NOT at the same time) sat on one at the AMA race at NJMP, like you said, very upright seating. I felt like it kind of locked you in, a very secure feeling. I still want a fairing tho.

What?!? They had one there?? :(

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the review! There's probably lots of us that are curious how it drives.

My friendly local dealer let me sit on one, but they don't do test drives. I agree with you, it felt small and extremely light even compared to an fz6.

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
For some reason, this bike is 3x the insurance rate vs a STR or Speed for me with Geico.:(

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
I sat on one at Laguna Seca, not bad. I would miss the 5 gal tank and centerstand of my FZ6 so much that it is a deal breaker. And to me it's funny looking. The torque would be so nice, oh well. Maybe they will come out with a sport touring version?

rumblestrip

Coffee Drinker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great review!

I'm thinking about going to this thing in DC, in January. Washington, DC | motorcycleshows.com I'd probably make a beeline to check out the FZ-09 and sit on one. Fortunately, my credit union will be far, far away, saving me from any urge to buy a new bike.... :spank:

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Pretty awesome ride hey! The throttle jerkyness comes from excessive lean condition off throttle. Once all tune the bike is much better.

I've been reading some of the postings over on the FZ-09 forums, so I shouldn't have been too surprised about the off-throttle leanness, but I was just expecting it to be like the FZ6. I was wrong, and it was much worse than the FZ6, but some of it was caused by me not being familiar with the new bike that I was test riding.

Im riding the old 6R this morning... just like you said. I feel like im riding a mini van! LOL

Actually, our new Toyota minivan really steps out! :)

Can't go wrong with the 09... 50-60 ft.lb all across the powerband... lovely!

Indeed. I really liked the feel and sound of the three cylinder, along with the rest of the bike.

With a little bit of wind protection added to it, I could see one of these finding a way into my garage in the near future.

Your new exhaust for the 09 looks sweet and a nice ten pound weight reduction too! Luckily the stock exhaust on the 09 doesn't look too bad either.

Which of the FZ-09 forums do you prefer the most, or is it too early to pick a horse in this race?

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, my old mini van use to be fast too in the corners. LOL

I never felt like the throttle thing was overwhelming to me but I have to admit that it took me 2-300 miles to get use to how sensitive the throttle is and how much juice is available right off idle compare to my 6R, or any inline 4 that I rode in the past. I think the combo of the throttle twich and high torque early in the power band make the bike a bit more difficult to ride. Once you get use to it it's fine. The other difficult part is to keep the front wheel on the ground! LOL 1st & 2nd gear it wheely on throttle anytime you want... 3rd gear the front wheel skip and just a little pull on the handlebars and up i goes. This is a sick bike for the $$$. It's just basically a blast to ride!

SAFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I also took a test ride 2 weeks ago. The bike felt very nimble. But I could not get used to the handlebars so close to me. I also felt cramp in the knees and legs. Mind you. I'm only 5'10".
I've been eyeing the 2013 FZ8 mainly for the naked look. The price was right for the FZ9, but just not the fit.

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
I also took a test ride 2 weeks ago. The bike felt very nimble. But I could not get used to the handlebars so close to me. I also felt cramp in the knees and legs. Mind you. I'm only 5'10".
I've been eyeing the 2013 FZ8 mainly for the naked look. The price was right for the FZ9, but just not the fit.

Have you looked at the Street Triple? I'm in the same boat. I like the FZ-09, but I think it might be too much of a hooligan bike for me. The idea of a FZ8 for around $5500 would not be so bad. Also the insurance on the FZ-09 is way high for me.

rickgu

Reaction score
Visit site
Got 2 magazines in the mail today, the FZ-09 is getting plenty of exposure.
a8u8a8y5.jpg

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So, two days ago, it was really nice outside here in Pennsylvania. I rode my 2004 FZ6 to lunch then decided to stop by the local shop (Blackmans) to see if they had an FZ-09 yet.

The had a nice looking red one on the floor. I was drooling over it a little, and the cool salesman came and talked to me. He talked to me a bit about the bike and asked if I wanted to sit on it. He pulled it out of the line and let me sit on it. Wow, it is light and tiny feeling.

As I was sitting on the bike, he asked if I wanted to take it for a test ride. Huh? When I bought my 2004 FZ6 new in 2004, there were no test rides allowed, and I had to beg the dealership owner to let me take a short spin on it. According to the salesman, two years ago Yamaha started a demo bike program for certain models including the FZ1, FZ8, FJR, some cruiser and now the FZ-09. I was wearing my roadcrafter and holding my helmet and gloves so I said, "Yes, I'd like to take it for a ride." He copied my license, I filled out a form, he threw a plate on the bike and sent me out.

He warned me that throttle mode was abrupt off idle in modes A and STD, but I assured him that I knew all about off idle throttle since I owned an FZ6. Well, it's worse on the FZ-09 than on the FZ6! I didn't stall, but I had to slip the clutch a little to get it going smoothly.

The bike felt light, very light. The seating position was very comfortable, but I felt very far forward and sitting up high. It was just a little odd, but not bad. It might have just been the visual effect from not having a fairing in front of me. The LCD dash was pretty much useless, maybe even more useless than the one of my FZ6, because it seemed to be lower from my sight range. The front turn signals were very apparent though, since there wasn't a front fairing. I did notice the colored lights on top of the LCD display, and could see the speedometer, but I'd much prefer an analog tach with a digital speedometer. Didn't they learn from 2004?

Anyways, I've never ridden a three cylinder, but it was neat! Lots of torque anywhere in the rev range, and it had a really cool sound that is tough to describe. It revved nicely and almost sounds like an inline four, but meatier. There was power everywhere. Very odd after riding the FZ6. It felt very good to twist the throttle and I didn't notice and jerkiness once off idle.

There was a lot of traffic (a pickup pulled out in front of me from a driveway, and then I got stuck behind a mailman) and being unfamiliar with the bike, I didn't push it, but I got a basic feel for the few miles that I rode it. It handled nicely and the brakes worked well. The suspension didn't feel too cheap to me, but I didn't ride it hard enough to tell anything.

The wind blast from no windshield wasn't too bad. It was far quieter than the turbulent air that blasts me on the FZ6. I think I'd like some kind of windscreen or fairing though if I had a choice. It felt different to be up high, and out in the open, as compared to the FZ6.

I could really get used to a bike like that, as long as the power didn't get me in trouble.... The sound and feel of the motor was really neat. Riding the FZ6 again, was like getting into a honda civic after driving my Trans-Am, as the torque difference was really noticeable.

I bought my FZ6 new in 2004, so maybe the ten year itch is going to hit me and I'll pick up a FZ-09 in 2014? Who knows, but I definitely liked the bike and am happy that Yamaha now has a demo ride program.
Its nice to hear a real world rider review. Did you try any of the other power settings?

Nelly

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Its nice to hear a real world rider review. Did you try any of the other power settings?

Nelly

Nope. I was already away too long for my lunch break so I had to take a short ride, and there was too much traffic around to try the other power settings.

I didn't notice my legs or knees feeling uncomfortable like SAFZ said. I am five inches taller than him too, go figure.

It felt odd being seemingly positioned so far forward, but it might just have been an illusion from not having a front fairing to block the view. Either way, it was neat, and the bike felt really light and nimble.