Picked up new (06) FZ-6 Today!!

Regarding the safety eqpt, here in South Florida it is so damn hot and humid that wearing leather is basically out. I already have a nice helmet and gloves and need some kind of protective jacket but can anyone recommend something that is comfortable to wear in these type of weather conditions?
I live in the desert near Palm Springs, in the summer it gets well over 120 degrees here, and with all the golf courses it gets pretty darn humid. right now at 12:15 a.m. it's 108 in my garage. I always wear gear.

look into mesh jackets, they don't offer the overall protection of leather but believe me if you ever go down with out one how hot it is outside will be the least of your concerns.
I have a Cortech GX air jacket I use for commuting, I wear a cool vest under it, that you pre-soak in cold water. it works really good for my 50 miles ride home from work.

Also congrats on the new bike, all the way from Down Under!

As for power on the fz6, if you look at a dyno chart, any meaningful hp & torque, starts at about 3500rpm, both hp & torque hit the "meat" from 6000 - 8000rpm, from 8000 - 12000rpm is where peak horsepower & torque resides, from 12000rpm upwards, dont bother, power stops at 12000rpm, anything above this and your just punishing the engine for no gain.

My 2 cents, enjoy your "ride", stay upright.

:aus:

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome... this looks like a great site and there is a wealth of information here!!

Brian

Also congrats on the new bike, all the way from Down Under!

As for power on the fz6, if you look at a dyno chart, any meaningful hp & torque, starts at about 3500rpm, both hp & torque hit the "meat" from 6000 - 8000rpm, from 8000 - 12000rpm is where peak horsepower & torque resides, from 12000rpm upwards, dont bother, power stops at 12000rpm, anything above this and your just punishing the engine for no gain.

My 2 cents, enjoy your "ride", stay upright.

:aus:

Congrats on the bike man! As far as summer gear goes, I'd go with the Joe Rocket Phoneix 4 or 5. The 4 is on clearance at newneough.com (love those guys) if you can get it in your size. Keep in mind Mesh isn't designed to take a dive at anything faster than 80 mph. Leather is always good in winter and summer (provided it has good vents)... but those are like 300 - 400 bucks.

Just my .02

KG

BTW: Wecome!

Welcome! There is a shift indicator on the market from Italy, I think I saw it on eBay, but I'm not sure. I would ride until after the break-in point before doing any mods, you'd probably save some $$$$ that way! This is a GOOD site for mod ideas. GRUMPY

Grats on the new bike! I'm looking at getting a used 06 myself. I was originally planning on getting a new 08, but this nice red 06 popped up out of nowhere, and I can't pass it up!

I saw this one on ebay as well... does anyone know what kind of job it is to install one of these digital shift indicators?

Welcome! There is a shift indicator on the market from Italy, I think I saw it on eBay, but I'm not sure. I would ride until after the break-in point before doing any mods, you'd probably save some $$$$ that way! This is a GOOD site for mod ideas. GRUMPY

I was looking at an 08 as well but since the 06 was "new" and the price was right I went for it.

How many miles on the Red 06??

Grats on the new bike! I'm looking at getting a used 06 myself. I was originally planning on getting a new 08, but this nice red 06 popped up out of nowhere, and I can't pass it up!

power is around 8k...let it get broken in and you'll fall in love with the powerband. I raced my best friend and his R6 tonight and hung with him till 100mph when we quit. He was very impressed with the powerband in the fz

I ride with a couple of friends that each have the Honda CBR600. I'm right on their tail. And by the way, congrats on the new bike. you'll love it.

Last edited:
Congrats!

Ok, you've been asked at least three times without an answer... what was the OTD price you paid for a "new" '06 FZ6? ;)

If you dodge the answer, a "madman" will come visit. :D

Sorry Dude... I did not see the posts asking about how much I paid...

My cost on the bike was 5490.00 plus 6 percent sales tax and 40.00 tag.

Congrats!

Ok, you've been asked at least three times without an answer... what was the OTD price you paid for a "new" '06 FZ6? ;)

If you dodge the answer, a "madman" will come visit. :D

Sorry Dude... I did not see the posts asking about how much I paid...

My cost on the bike was 5490.00 plus 6 percent sales tax and 40.00 tag.

Guess that WAS a deal! Almost $1k less than I paid for my '08 new. Good work!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

I was concered about the clunk between 1st and 2nd too, i did a serch on here and read if you preload the shifter with your foot just as you shift, it gets rid of it most of the time, just dont lift up to hard that you shift it without the clutch.

I was looking at an 08 as well but since the 06 was "new" and the price was right I went for it.

How many miles on the Red 06??

5400 mile, they are asking for $5199. For an 06, that seems pretty good to me. From the pics the bike looks like it's in great shape, i'm gonna go down there on saturday to check it out.

This will be my first bike, so i'm kind of glad to be getting a used one, just in case heh.

Last edited:
The price seems to be good. I also had a another 06 on the line that had aprox 2500 miles and I was offered that one for 5100.00 For the extra 600 dollars, it was worth it to me just to get a new one with a full warranty.

Let us know if you decide to pick up your "new" used FZ!!

5400 mile, they are asking for $5199. For an 06, that seems pretty good to me. From the pics the bike looks like it's in great shape, i'm gonna go down there on saturday to check it out.

This will be my first bike, so i'm kind of glad to be getting a used one, just in case heh.

I have been taking it easy on the back roads away from the heavy traffic getting used to the bike.

Regarding the safety eqpt, here in South Florida it is so damn hot and humid that wearing leather is basically out. I already have a nice helmet and gloves and need some kind of protective jacket but can anyone recommend something that is comfortable to wear in these type of weather conditions?

Regarding "mods" the first thing that my dealer recommended was to change the front sprocket to a 15T which was already said. Once I get more comfortable with riding it on the street would this mod make a big difference in acceleration?

with regard to your search for a nice cool jacket check out the scorpion hat trick jacket. I have one, and absolutely love it. Its call the hat trick because it comes with three layers, a windstopper, an insulatory layer, and the protective shell with the kevlar and armor which is made of mesh. The inner two layers are removable so riding around reno in stop and go at 100+ degrees I'm just fine. Also, if you've ever seen how they go about removing the road rash from your hide, its not pretty and watching them do it to a friend once was enough for me to know to always wear my gear regardless of how hot it is.

Back