New to me FZ6

hamousher

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone, I have just returned to biking after many years and have purchased a FZ6 S2 2008 model. In faster Blue. I have only had it for 1 Month but I seem to have a problem with the gears and it has now gone back to the dealer for diagnostics. The problem is that intermittently it will not change gear.
I wonder if any one out there can shed some light on the problem. Yesterday I was accelerating on a slip road to join the motorway in 2nd gear, pull clutch and select third gear, nothing doing stayed in 2nd. Tried to change 3 times before it went into 3rd. However its not always the same gear that has this problem. Anyone got ideas please as I only have 3 months warranty.:(

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the best bike site on the net. Thats a really strange one. The bike will normally change gear easily even without the clutch once going. Let us know what the issue is as these engines are pretty bullet proof. But it may be a bent gear selector.
Nelly

Last edited:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Check that the shift linkage is correctly adjusted. Maybe clean and grease the pivot points. Also make sure the clutch adjustment is within spec.

Nzero

Reaction score
Visit site
I've actually had this happen a couple of times since I've had my 05 FZ6. Like yours its random. every time it has happened I just lept the clutch in and shifted down another gear. Then I was able to up shift to the desired gear no problem. Not really sure why it happens though.

hamousher

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys and maybe Ladies, So far the dealer has been unable to replicate the fault but is continuing with testing the bike. The dealer is a reputable one with knowledge of the bike. However when I purchased it last month they had done a service on it, but I noticed that there was no free play as per the manual in the clutch lever, so I adjusted that. The gear linkage from the pedal to the gearbox looks fine and is perfectly free. So I await the dealers phone call.

Many thanks for the replies

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys and maybe Ladies, So far the dealer has been unable to replicate the fault but is continuing with testing the bike. The dealer is a reputable one with knowledge of the bike. However when I purchased it last month they had done a service on it, but I noticed that there was no free play as per the manual in the clutch lever, so I adjusted that. The gear linkage from the pedal to the gearbox looks fine and is perfectly free.

You need to spray under the rubber boots to the joints. They may "look" great but it needs to be lubed. That alone has been documented as a shifting issue. Not WD 40 either, Liquid wrench or some sort of spray penetrating oil(and don't be cheap with it)..

Make sure the physical shifter linkage/shifter arm is NOT physically striking the frame, kick stand frame mount, etc. That shifter adjuster, if adjusted at its extreme, WILL HIT the FRAME and limit travel.

Agreed with the above re the clutch cable, lube and adjust(if not for just basic maintainance). As noted above, you should be able to shift WITHOUT THE CLUTCH being disengauged, simply letting off the throttle for a sec and upshifting. **Will the bike do that-IMPORTANT**

Not mentioned, but again, hitting the basic's, make sure the chain is clean and well lubed. The FREE PLAY, (total up and down) (at the tightest point) should be 2"

If none of that pans out, I would be looking under the shifter cover at the internal linkages;
Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2008 FZ6 (DARK PURPLISH BLUE METALLIC U) - FZS6XL SHIFT SHAFT Diagram

Last edited:

hamousher

Reaction score
Visit site
Many thanks to TowsendsFJR1300 for the advice. I've now got the bike back from the dealer who carried out all the checks that towsendsfjr1300 advised to get done. Wow the bike has now got such a good gear change, the dealer said it is the slickest gear change of any FZ6 he knows of. Many thanks again for everyone's advice.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Many thanks to TowsendsFJR1300 for the advice. I've now got the bike back from the dealer who carried out all the checks that towsendsfjr1300 advised to get done. Wow the bike has now got such a good gear change, the dealer said it is the slickest gear change of any FZ6 he knows of. Many thanks again for everyone's advice.

Your welcome, glad its fixed with some simple maintanance.

Was there any one thing they found out of place/mis-adjusted, etc?

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This happened to me last year about this time of year. The shifting went difficult then almost impossible during an evening ride when it was getting cold for the first time since I bought the bike. I was just about terrified that I was facing a $1000 bill for transmission repairs. But I searched this site and found several threads about the shifter linkage needing to be lubed every now and then.

Get a can of spray lithium grease. Put a bit on the linkage joints every few months and the shifter will stay smooth. :thumbup:

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

First of all welcome to the best Forum around, Second thank you for acknowledging the the suggestions that you have received, that is a pleasant surprise. Third, what did they find? All information, no matter how inconsequential it may seem, may be of some benefit to the rest of us.

Cheers,

Ken

hamousher

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi to Kenh. Sorry but the dealer did'nt tell me if they found any fault, all they said was that they adjusted the clutch, lubed all the linkage, adjusted the chain tension. One of those must have cleared the problem because I can even get into 1st from cold without a clunk.
Regards