New GPS!!!

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Update: My ignorance in GPS units bit me in the arse! There is an important feature I didn't even know to look for and found out the hard way that the 265wt doesn't have it..... Route Planning! You cannot put in a route to follow waypoints. Since you cannot change course while in motion, you cannot select new waypoints unless you pull over and stop. If you select your waypoint at the end of the route, you cannot route to other places or highways you intend to travel... Fiasco to plan with but to get you from A to B, it works perfectly.

So, I am returning it and upgrading to the Nuvi 765T. It's almost $200 more *JUST* to get route planning (and MP3 playback). More to come.... But I had to let all of you know about my mistake so you don't get bit too. :thumbup:

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, Staples took back the 265wt without any hassles. I again used the Walmart "See price in cart" printout for the 765T and headed to Best Buy. BB was @ $499 for this unit. Walmart (online only but that printout says nothing about online) was $406.54 so I sweet talked the young lady at the customer service counter and she agreed to sell it to me at that price. So, I with $248 returned, I had $70 in BB Rewards bucks and two gift cards totaling 40.01. So, the upgrade cost me another $48.53 out of pocket! :steve: :steve: :steve:

BB's Geek Black Tie service for 4 yrs was only an additional $51 so I bought that too.

Above all the features of the 265, the 765 has the Custom Routing, MP3 player, Lane Assist, 3D Buildings and Text to Speech. I've just finished the initial setup, firmware updates, personalization and am installing the initial free maps upgrade with MapSource software. I now have to see what part I need for the RAM Mount for this model as it is a different mount. The 265 had a clip-on, and the 765 has a small cradle.

More when I've had time to check this one out thoroughly.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
if you want to get a waterproof Garmin, the Streetpilot 2720 can be had for cheap from E-bay. Waterproof and vibration proof, though it's not advertised as a motorcycle gps it works just the same

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a few notes for those wishing to pursue this setup:

After trial and error and having found people who claim it all works, the Scala Q2 headset will not pair with the Nuvi series of GPS units. However, there IS a good workaround! Since the new Q2 Rider's have FM radio receiver, and the Nuvi 765T is an FM transmitter, I was able to set the GPS to transmit on 89.7, then find the station and lock it in on the Scala Q2 headset.

Last night, I drove home with the GPS in my jacket pocket. I had it loaded with Daughtry, Nickelback and Godsmack. I told the GPS to take me home, started the music, locked the screen and dumped it in my pocket. Worked like a charm! The sound was OK with some static but that was expected with the GPS in my pocket. (No RAM Mount until this Saturday's ride) The unit transmitted the music and paused it as it spoke my directions and street names. Perfect! The FM is the last priority audio, so if my wife was with me and we were talking, we'd take priority over the music. The GPS directions are priority one so that would over ride our conversation.

I'll do another write up on the Scala Q2 multiset once we've had the chance to try them on the road and at speed. I can tell you that I can no longer sing (horribly!!!) to myself in my helmet because my voice activates the headset and canels the FM! LOL!

My recommendation, based on even more research is for people to wait for the Zumo 660 to arrive and pair all your devices with that. Or, get the TomTom Rider Second Edition as that unit is already in partner with Scala and comes with the standard headset but is guaranteed to work with the Q2 sets.

For me, I'm happy with this result which DOES leave out the phone unless I stop and speak to the GPS as a speaker phone. But, at least I can see who is calling and if I feel it is important, I can pull over and "safely" call them back. Talking on the phone while riding is last on my priority list! :D

Last edited:

aggiehiker

Reaction score
Visit site
I couldn't justify a fully waterproof "motorcycle" GPS either, so I bought a Garmin 200W and put it in an AquaBox from Ram Mount. Fully waterproof, and still allows you to use the touchscreen. I love mine. Bought the kit from GPScity.com

AQ6MAIN

Kent

Sounds cool, any pics of it on your bike?

knightrider

Reaction score
Visit site
Now that is one sweet piece of equipment! You just throw it in your pocket and it interrupts music playback to tell you to turn etc? That is really amazing.

I have been using the same GPS style for years. The Garmin eTrex Legend handhelds. They are ok for using as car or motorcycle, the display is pretty small but the turn by turn feature makes that a small concern. What I love the most is being able to clip it to my handlebars in the center via a bicycle clamp. It's a cheap way to get a waterproof gps that's small, color screen, and durable. The bicycle handlebar clamp kit is an extra $15 on top of the $200 gps. Mine does not have all those cool features though!

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds cool, any pics of it on your bike?

We took that ride today and I got the RAM mount with the Aquabox. The people at Whitehorse Gear were awesome! After a couple of times bringing parts in and out of the place, a guy there helped me out and did all the knockouts on the Aquabox for my charger cord. He also lent a couple more tools to get the job done. oldfast007 (Eric as well!) helped me out and mounted the U bolt to the handlebar while the guy did the knockouts. Thanx Eric!!!

I intend to take it all apart, take pics as I put it all back together, then post them for people to see.

Drove home with the setup and had zero issues. :rockon: