Nelly down...............

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys n girls,
I haven’t posted in a while. Four days ago I had my first crash in 11 years.
It does happen now and again.

I came off doing 40 kph on a roundabout. I was mid way around the roundabout eyeballing a car that was trying to come on. My eyes were taken from the road for a second. As I continued around, the entire lane was covered with about 2cm of lose gravel.
I didn't brake or close the throttle and tried to straighten the bike up to reduce my lean.
The front went down quicker than a pint of Guinness.
As I hit the floor, I let go of the bike and got on with the business of sliding.
I slid about 5 yards and my bike slid about 10 yards on the frame sliders.

I was wearing my leather jacket, slider jeans, boots and gloves.

The jacket has a slight graze on the right shoulder and I have a friction burn on my forearm. The Slider jeans don't have a mark on them and my legs are fine. The jeans are fairly lose fitting. A few members, who purchased the jeans, were wondering if this would cause them to rise up the leg in the event of a crash. So they have done a good job. I have a grade 1 tear on my left UCL (thumb).

slider4.jpg

slider2-1.jpg

slider1.jpg

For anyone who was wondering whether to invest in frame and axle sliders. I would robustly suggest you do so.

On a side note, my engine cut out switch did not cut in. I don't know if this is because the sliders don't allow the bike to reach the required lean angle?
Apart from removing a slider and laying the bike down how can I test it?

On another side note, Could I have avoided the off? Yes definitely. I didn't know the road and my observation failed me.

On a plus point, I’m still not too old to bounce along a little bit and the bike did not have a mark on it.

Cheers

Nelly

skyjake

Reaction score
Visit site
Yikes, sorry to hear you washed out on the gravel. However, the most important thing is your "OK" :)

Thanks for the review on the the Slider Jeans and frame and axle sliders.

Hope you get your bike fixed in a timely fashion and there is no doubt you will be back on it in no time.

Last edited:

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the slide but glad to know that you're pretty much ok. Also glad to see that the sliders did their job and protected your bike.

Get well quick (thumb) and I hope it doesn't stop you from friding too long.

Take care.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks people,

There is a very good OT at work who has sorted out a splint for me. My glove fits over it nicely so I am still able to ride.

Nelly:thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Great on you and the bike experiencing more excitement that injury.
Yeah, I need some swing arm sliders.

Get healed up.
Cliff

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Four days ago I had my first crash in 11 years.
It does happen now and again.

The front went down quicker than a pint of Guinness.

I am glad to hear you are O.k. as is the bike Nelly!

I hope everyone learns something from this: No matter how long you have been riding, no matter how in control/confident you feel, you must be alert! Never let your guard down. Safety gear made all the difference in this as I am sure Nelly will tell you.

Sorry to make an example of you mate but you wouldn't have posted it up if you weren't ready for it! :thumbup:

Faster than a pint of Guiness? That is pretty fast! I think that is a great signature to go with the new avatar!

Heal up quick! Glad you are still "on the horse" ;)

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your accident Neil :( but very happy to hear you and your bike are relatively OK.

I think we'll have to rename this smily the Nelly :thumbup: , hope your thumb (in a splint) heals up soon ;)

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am glad to hear you are O.k. as is the bike Nelly!

I hope everyone learns something from this: No matter how long you have been riding, no matter how in control/confident you feel, you must be alert! Never let your guard down. Safety gear made all the difference in this as I am sure Nelly will tell you.

Sorry to make an example of you mate but you wouldn't have posted it up if you weren't ready for it! :thumbup:

No worries

Nelly

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad your OK for the most part, must a been spooky after that long without an off... I am surprised about the cut off switch though, that should have tripped, it did on mine with sliders. Have couple of pints, you've earned them! Heal up!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yikes! Glad you are more or less okay Nelly. I hope this doesn't disrupt work and your wonderful family too much.

Heal up quickly! :thumbup:

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just hate to see titles that start like that! Makes my heart jump! Whew!

But I'm happy to hear that you're not hurt too bad.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
neil, sorry to hear of your little whoopsy, but glad your ok......Australia is still gonna beat the poms in the upcoming ashes series though! :D

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're Okay Neil. Is that the only damage your bike suffered? Just the slider and bobbin? Wow!

Thanks for posting.