FS: Wilbers 640 Rear Shock

Justin.barnes

Reaction score
Visit site
EDIT (4/20): Updated reference retail cost for US distributor. Price is OBO.

I have a Wilbers 640 shock that I purchased from eBay a couple of years ago intending to install it on my bike. I took a gamble on the set up as the seller didn't have any info. Turns out it's sprung/valved inappropriately for my weight.

Very good condition. Set up for a rider between 209 and 242lbs (with gear). I can share email correspondence between myself and the Wilbers rep with serious prospective buyers.

$500.00 shipped OBO to the lower 48. EPM has this shock listed for $750 shipped.

Attachments

• PXL_20240420_120344670.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240420_120344670.MP.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20240420_120352392.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240420_120352392.MP.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Justin.barnes

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the mention! I was bummed when I realized it wasn't going to work out. For anyone wondering, the cost for EPM to re-spring/re-valve one of these is over $400... It didn't make any sense for me to do this but if you're a bigger person and find the stock rear shock to be inadequate then this could be a really good option. I'll leave it listed here for a while before I move to eBay, marketplace, etc. Seems to be a rare occurrence that a used one comes up for sale so I wanted to see if anyone here was interested.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Why couldn’t you simply take the existing spring on your bike and install that on to the Wilber? The shock doesn’t know whose spring you are using All it takes is a spring compression tool, which can be rented from a local auto parts store.

Justin.barnes

Reaction score
Visit site
Because that only solves the stiffness problem and doesn't address the damping. It would probably work okay if I was only a little lighter than what the shock is set up for, but I brought it up with EPM and they didn't recommend it. They thought it might ride worse than the stock shock.

My FZ6 is also for sale so not worth experimenting at this point.

Justin.barnes

Reaction score
Visit site
If your damping constant isn't matched well enough to your spring constant then the bike is probably going to ride like shit because the system will be either grossly underdamped or overdamped.

I'm not here to debate the physics of a basic spring-mass-damper system. This is a classifieds section. If you're not interested in purchasing this item please take this discussion somewhere else.