Motorcycle test??

lattin25

Reaction score
Visit site
I passed my written test for my permit which allows me to ride with certain restrictions... I'm going to be taking the riding test next week... What should I expect??

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Agree with taking the MSF/Rider's Ed course. They will teach you more than just riding on a bike. Lots of great advice from very well experienced riders. They take walk in if there are any slot available or if there is a no show. Try the course, money well spent.

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
I passed my written test for my permit which allows me to ride with certain restrictions... I'm going to be taking the riding test next week... What should I expect??

Well, from my experience in Virginia - not much. The tester asked me to ride my V-Max 1 block down the road and return. That's it. One turn. Must have been near lunch-break for him or something. That was in 1980's so I hope things are a bit tighter now.

If you take MSF first (which you definitely should) the state usually waives the road test portion if you show them your MSF card.

Hotei

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Take the MSF but if you have a long wait like NH, go to the DMV and see what they have painted in the lot. I went and watched a group take their test (every Thursday morning) then went back after work most nights and practiced the course. Several people actually showed up and practiced and we all helped each other out. When the big day came, I nearly aced it. I ended up with a single 3 point deduction for putting a foot down on the last cone in the weave. So I got 97 out of 100. ARGH! I still went through with the MSF, more to support the wife who wanted her license, but is was good to cover all the basics again and kill a couple of bad habits.

We had a weave through 5 cones, a U-Turn, avoid an obsticle (the Officer!), emergency stop, and proper signal use.

When I was riding years ago, I never took the test. In Maine, you could go get a 90 day permit once a year. I typically rode a lot longer than 90 days but kept it 100% legal when I was without the permit. Those were the younger stupider squidly days.

Regardless of getting your license, please take the BRC!

lattin25

Reaction score
Visit site
I was going to take the MSF course but they are booked until late october... my permit has way too many restrictions for me to wait that long. I'm taking the test this thursday. I guess I'll see what happens!

ZRXINLA

formerly red06fz6
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know how the DMV where you are going to take the test is, here in California the lines are painted in the ground for the maneuvers you are going to do. I went after hours and on the weekend to practice in their parking lot were they have the lines, it takes practice to get it right, I failed the first time because I felt confident that I could pass but I failed miserably :spank:. Believe me, it's a little complicated, my advice to you is to go there and practice a lot. Good luck

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
For Virginia the test allows you to miss a total of 20 points (21 is failing) combined or you can fail one test completely.

Tests:
-Figure 8
minus 3 points for foot down minus 3 points for going outside the line it goes to minus 5 if done more than once. You can do one but don't do both or you will fail. I was on a rebel whose handle bars hit my knees and I had problems with it and did my figure 8 going outside of the box twice (-5).

-Swerve
Not positive how it is scored since no one missed any points. You must be going a certain speed (15-20 I beleive) and cannot hit any cones. If you do not go fast enough they will let you try again. If you still don't make it you fail.

-Braking
You must be going fast enough (and not to fast) or they will make you try again. You cannot anticipate the braking (slow or cover the levers before crossing cones). You cannot look down. You cannot lock you brakes. You must put your left foot down. You must stop in X number of feet based on how fast you are going. It is much easier to pass this going minimum speed and stopping then going faster. All I know is -3 to -5 for braking too long.

-135 degree turn
This is the biggest point reducer (as most accidents occur because of too much speeds in turns) MISSING A CONE (going outside the line) IS -15. SLOWING IN THE TURN IS -10

The MSF course should be the same exact tests and dimensions as the DMV but the DMV tests are often in a confined space which makes the test dimensions feel smaller.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the practicing in the lot that you will be testing in, but if not i would go to your local DMV web site and read descriptions of the test, they typically (they do in NH at least) have the distances and measurements of the obstacles listed online.

kamao

Reaction score
Visit site
I do find the difference in tests (globally) quite interesting, the test here in the UK is changing in October, got a mate who is on training this week trying to pass ASAP :cheer:

The new section will include this layout (PDF)

A

Aggietaco

I think the test depends heavily on the state. Here in TX, they require you to bring a licensed driver and an insured vehicle with you to the test. The bulk of the test is you following either a predetermined route on the bike with the instructor being chauffeured behind you or you watching for blinker signals from the tailing cage to find out where to go. I've heard most tests are ~10 minutes in length and the major issues to watch for are exaggerating the turn of your head when checking traffic, making sure you come to complete stops and put your feet down, not stalling from stops, cautious breaking and overall gentle riding.

This probably doesn't help you at all, but for others in TX are interested, it might.