Michelin Pilot Road 3 are here!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site
-> Amorousnerdium

Can you please check the manufacturing week code on your tires? It sure looks like a faulty batch. I'm about to put the same tires on my bike next week (I have them already) and head for a 6000km trip to Central Europe, and I sure wouldn't like that to happen in the middle of the Alps or somewhere :confused:

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Just had these installed yesterday and wow, what a difference to the old Bridgestone BT020's! The initial turn in is feels lighter now yet when leaned to a turn the bike feels way more stable holding the lean angle and the line. Full-on braking with ABS activated shows quite much better braking traction.

teej21012

Reaction score
Visit site
If you guys can't find them, I ordered mine from motorcycle-superstore.com. Both of them with free shipping was 284. Haven't gotten them installed yet as I'm waiting for money from a roommate. Will def through up a review once they are on.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just had these installed yesterday and wow, what a difference to the old Bridgestone BT020's! The initial turn in is feels lighter now yet when leaned to a turn the bike feels way more stable holding the lean angle and the line. Full-on braking with ABS activated shows quite much better braking traction.

I'm not trying to take anything away from PR3s (have PR2s myself and so far they've been very good), but I just want to mention that replacing worn tires with new ones, unless new ones are extra crappy, will always produce those results. Especially if old ones were squared off or had glazed chicken strips.
I bet if you replaced BT020s with.. new set of BT020s the improvement would be just as dramatic :)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
5794397648_2e568e6844_z.jpg

That's litigation material right there! Remember the whole Ford Explorer / Firestone thing.. and the reason all cars now have TPMS (of course that WAS due to low pressure, and you said your pressure was within spec.. which makes it even worse for Michi)?

Most definitely call them.. they will take their time about it (based on other issues I've read people have had with Michi), but they will eventually get it taken care of.

Or do the American thing.. put a neck brace on and call Jacoby $ Meyers! :rof: :america:

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not trying to take anything away from PR3s (have PR2s myself and so far they've been very good), but I just want to mention that replacing worn tires with new ones, unless new ones are extra crappy, will always produce those results. Especially if old ones were squared off or had glazed chicken strips.
I bet if you replaced BT020s with.. new set of BT020s the improvement would be just as dramatic :)

Well of course if you say so :confused: The BT020s were installed last August and had something like 6000km in them, so nowhere near squared off. Compared side by side with the old ones both the front and rear tires have noticeably different profires and for sure that affects handling characteristics, not to mention the probable differences in the tire carcass.

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
::removed PR3s from the shopping cart right before pulling the trigger::

Any update on this? those pics are just plain scary. :eek:I up for new tires now, so I guess i'll just go with PR2s for now.

Amorousnerdium

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.jasonwoodcock.biz
Update: BAD...

I called and emailed Michellin... Only recieved this canned response:

"We are sorry to hear you have experienced a problem with one of our tires. Damage to the tire, punctures, road hazards or driving on a tire that is underinflated are conditions beyond our control as a manufacturer and are not covered under the Michelin limited warranty. Please present your Michelin Pilot Road 3 to the selling retailer or an authorized Michelin motorcycle tire dealer for inspection and have the dealer call us while you are there so we can review. Our limited warranty covers your tires for defects in workmanship and material for 6 years or the usable life of the tread, whichever would come first. We will do our best to assist you with your tire issue."​

So, I brought my rear tire down to Coast Cycle World in Gulfport with a copy of this email. They had the tire for two weeks. I called them and no one seems to know what is going on.

During this time, my front tire (the other PR3) blew out at 35 after leaving the interstate from a one hour drive... My fiance watched the tire fall to shreds in the rear view mirror as I plowed into her rear end. Two other riders I was with also watched as the tire shredded...

5852856081_4611d95be1_b.jpg

As of today, I emailed Michelin a third time. If I do not hear back from them today, I am going to a lawyer, TODAY.

Amorousnerdium

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.jasonwoodcock.biz
Update 2: Just talked to Coast Cycle World, they still have the tire. Michelin has not picked up the tire, nor do they have any comment as to when or if they will. I can go pick it up anytime I want. Headed down there to get it.

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
WTF man! I hope you were ok after this. Now I don't know if I should be riding my bike on these tires at all. I'm totally dumbfounded. Please keep us updated and definitely sue the bejesus out of those ****ers. That bike did not crash itself ... they are responsible and they HAVE to pay. I wonder if this is a major design flaw or you just got a bad set.

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:jawdrop: :eek: holy crap, dude. i hope you are ok. I think you need to go to a lawyer now - forget their responses - let the lawyer write up a nastygram. This is some serious stuff.

Last edited:

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
Update: BAD...

Hope your neck and back feel better soon! ;) ;) Keep us posted on what happens with Michelin.

When I was getting my PR2s installed last August, there was a guy with an R1 getting a new back tire. He had a Pilot Power rear tire (can't remember if it was the dual compound or not) shred on the highway. He showed me pictures of it on his cell. It tore off his hugger too. He seemed like your typical squid rider, so I wrote it off as likely operator error. Figured he was probably doing wheelies in a lot then tried to ride home on the highway without re-inflating his rear tire. It's disheartening to see your pics. You have to wonder how common these types of defects are. Thankfully, my PR2s have held up great for the 8K I've put on them so far.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
wow that is messed up, you better keep both tires in your possession with lots of high quality photos to doccument their condition and seek legal help asap. The longer you wait the more difficult it will be to persue. I watch a lot of Judge Judy so I should know :)

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Mtrfkr! Get well soon! Just by curiosity... did you check if your tire gauge is accurate? I saw gauge being of as much as 5 psi off... When 1/2 psi is critical in racing... usually we check our gauge before every race weekend. Or we get some stupidly expensive digital one that reset itself every time you turn it on... Still... tire should not blow up like that!

Amorousnerdium

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.jasonwoodcock.biz
Hope your neck and back feel better soon! ;) ;) Keep us posted on what happens with Michelin.

When I was getting my PR2s installed last August, there was a guy with an R1 getting a new back tire. He had a Pilot Power rear tire (can't remember if it was the dual compound or not) shred on the highway. He showed me pictures of it on his cell. It tore off his hugger too. He seemed like your typical squid rider, so I wrote it off as likely operator error. Figured he was probably doing wheelies in a lot then tried to ride home on the highway without re-inflating his rear tire. It's disheartening to see your pics. You have to wonder how common these types of defects are. Thankfully, my PR2s have held up great for the 8K I've put on them so far.

My neck is fine... Even though I went through the back windshield and into her vehicle (you can see my head in the pic), I only broke my hand, cracked three ribs and hurt my mid back... Key example of how ATGATT saved my life quite literally.

As for tire pressure, I am very vigilant about checking tire pressure because I commute 50 minutes one way every day and had a bad experience with my 06 Mustang GT because of low tire pressure. As a result I bought a Longacre tire pressure gauge and check tire pressure every morning.

I am talking to an attorney today. But I'm going to pick up my tire first before raising too big of a ruckus. I don't want it to *disappear*...

What pisses me off is that Michelin will not return my phone call or email other than that canned response.

goanookie

Reaction score
Gent - Belgium, Paris - France, Oslo - Norway, Gro
Visit site
Get well soon and hopefully a new set of wheels soon.

Maybe we can use the social networks for this, companies are beginning to get sensitive for them. I've already tracked down a guy in my field of work on Linked'in. I will drop him a post and try to get an internal good contact at Michelin. Could be a no-go but that I'll only know after trying :)

Anyway if this happens to a motorcycle tire it can also happen to car tire but for us it is way more dangerous.

Greets
Peter

-edit-
Post dropped keep your fingers crossed :)

Last edited:

Amorousnerdium

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.jasonwoodcock.biz
Get well soon and hopefully a new set of wheels soon.

Maybe we can use the social networks for this, companies are beginning to get sensitive for them. I've already tracked down a guy in my field of work on Linked'in. I will drop him a post and try to get an internal good contact at Michelin. Could be a no-go but that I'll only know after trying :)

Anyway if this happens to a motorcycle tire it can also happen to car tire but for us it is way more dangerous.

Greets
Peter

I hit them a few seconds ago on their Facebook:

Michelin Pilot Road 3 - Wall | Facebook

Even linked to this post lol...

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Unfreaking believable. Heal up quick. I will never buy the 3's, and I am a dedicated Michelin guy as I consistently get over 16,000 miles on the 2CT's. I trust that you are telling just like it is and thanks for letting us all know. I'm no expert on tire failure, but from the picture of the rear appears to me that it was not from improper tire pressure. And if the rear failed, I'm not surprised the front failed.

As far as Michelin, all you have to do is send them the link to this thread. Everything is documented like a diary. Any lawyer should have a field day with this.

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, time to call a lawyer and discuss legal options. This is ridiculous and I hope you heal soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.