Michelin Pilot Road 3 are here!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
I meant " Michelin Pilot Road 3 is here!!!!!! " :spank:

The Pilot Road 2 had a lot of fans among the sport touring crowd, and a lot of folks on this forum.
I took these tires to Alaska.
They have long life running high speed and loaded up with luggage.
Lots of grip in the rain and the mud/gravel/whatever through the Yukon and Dalton (although knobbies would have been preferred).

It looks like the PR3 has just been released!:Flash:

pilot_road_3.jpg

10221_normal.jpg

I read on some other forum that the main difference is the softer side rubber has been moved more towards the center and the harder rubber has been reduced. This is supposed to make the tire last longer, with better grip. The XST clears water better.

They are being sold here, and among other stores, I'm sure:
Michelin Pilot Road 3 Dual Compound Tire - Buy Michelin Pilot Road 3 Dual Compound Tire at Compacc.com

At the very least, there should be some good deals on the PR2. :thumbup:

Last edited:

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
Those are cool looking!! I just got my Michelin Pilot Road 2 on my front porch today!! I am a little leery moving away from full sport tires but I am tired of buying new tires for the bike every year.

TAPnTX

Reaction score
Visit site
Not a big fan of the Pilot Road 2, they did not last as long as the Pilot Powers on my Versys. Here is a pic of my Pilot Road 2 rear on my Kawasaki Versys 2650 Miles. Remember the Versys is about 65hp at the crank, and I was not riding in the triple digits, nor do I do burnouts or run low tire pressures. And to make matter worse, I only got 1500 miles out of a Dunlop Qualifier 2 rear.

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

Todd

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Not a big fan of the Pilot Road 2, they did not last as long as the Pilot Powers on my Versys. Here is a pic of my Pilot Road 2 rear on my Kawasaki Versys 2650 Miles. Remember the Versys is about 65hp at the crank, and I was not riding in the triple digits, nor do I do burnouts or run low tire pressures. And to make matter worse, I only got 1500 miles out of a Dunlop Qualifier 2 rear.

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

Todd

That is insane! Most people see about 10k miles on that tire.

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I meant " Michelin Pilot Road 3 is here!!!!!! " :spank:

The Pilot Road 2 had a lot of fans among the sport touring crowd, and a lot of folks on this forum.
I took these tires to Alaska.
They have long life running high speed and loaded up with luggage.
Lots of grip in the rain and the mud/gravel/whatever through the Yukon and Dalton (although knobbies would have been preferred).

It looks like the PR3 has just been released!:Flash:

pilot_road_3.jpg

10221_normal.jpg

I read on some other forum that the main difference is the softer side rubber has been moved more towards the center and the harder rubber has been reduced. This is supposed to make the tire last longer, with better grip. The XST clears water better.

They are being sold here, and among other stores, I'm sure:
Michelin Pilot Road 3 Dual Compound Tire - Buy Michelin Pilot Road 3 Dual Compound Tire at Compacc.com

At the very least, there should be some good deals on the PR2. :thumbup:

Geez, these tyres have got a big act to follow! the PR2's have become a "benchmark" tyre, that most other sport's touring tyres are measured up against...just as this tyre will be!

Still, if it is an "evolution" of the PR2, i am guessing that Michelin has not changed that much with the new PR3's...

Cant wait to read some reviews...

:thumbup:

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site

Whoa... How much does your bike weigh? .... How much do you weigh? LOL!! :justkidding:

Just can't imagine slicks like that after only 2650 miles, I am thinking a bad batch. I would consider contacting the company and find out if there is some sort of refurbishment on that run of tires.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm working on it :thumbup:

I have about 5000 km on mine now.

Hey Goop!

T'day's a nice day to add some kms to those 023's! Maybe tomorrow??? Man! I need a ride!

Those PR3's look pretty cool. I've always used Stones but had the Michelin Pilot Sports on the SV (OEM). They did impress me because they were old rubber and on the bike. They were past their safe life and I had to change them out before the were worn. Although I never pushed that hard on them the few times I did push on them they never gave on me (Michelin Pilot Sports)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh sure.. come out with a *better* product 50 miles after I put PR2's on :disapprove:

tjhess74

boo-yah!
Reaction score
Visit site
there appears to be too much siping cut into the tread. makes me think that all those block edges will feather and cause poor wear patterns, especially on the front.

im alittle down on michelin right now anyway. im still waiting to hear back about my pr2's that were way too flexible. as of yesterday when i called them, they were still needing more time to look at them.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
there appears to be too much siping cut into the tread. makes me think that all those block edges will feather and cause poor wear patterns, especially on the front.

im alittle down on michelin right now anyway. im still waiting to hear back about my pr2's that were way too flexible. as of yesterday when i called them, they were still needing more time to look at them.

They haven't figured that one out yet!?!?! That's not good for business. I think I remember your post on that. They were on your Concours right?

It looked like someone threw gummi bears in the tire compound!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Why cant i find any info on these tyres on any of the Michelin Tyre websites???

:confused:

Not even a picture, or even a reference to them!!! :(

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Why cant i find any info on these tyres on any of the Michelin Tyre websites???

:confused:

Not even a picture, or even a reference to them!!! :(

Same here. Lots of talk on lots of other forums (ie. apparently the Z rating is wrong, they'll 'only' be W rated, and they'll 'surely' be better than PR2's) but nothing concrete. Even the January availability date is questionable (may only be January for Europe...)

Hopefully Michelin will spill the beans soon! :D

tjhess74

boo-yah!
Reaction score
Visit site
They haven't figured that one out yet!?!?! That's not good for business. I think I remember your post on that. They were on your Concours right?

It looked like someone threw gummi bears in the tire compound!

yup, thats them. i sent them in september and have call a couple times. the first call they said they needed more time to look at them. this most recent call they were shocked that a non-dealer was calling them and would barely acknowledge that they possessed them. im giving them til the end of the week to call me back as they said. starting next week, ill start talking legalese.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
yup, thats them. i sent them in september and have call a couple times. the first call they said they needed more time to look at them. this most recent call they were shocked that a non-dealer was calling them and would barely acknowledge that they possessed them. im giving them til the end of the week to call me back as they said. starting next week, ill start talking legalese.

That blows! I've dealt with several companies like that.. if you're not a dealer you don't matter. BIG turn-off.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.