MD, DC, VA (northern) Riders...

FrankieOC82

Reaction score
Visit site
Grew up in Springfield, but moved out to Manassas a couple of years ago. Glad to see so many FZ6s rollin in the metro area!!

I just got one myself a few weeks ago; upgraded from an EX-500. So this also happens to be my first post on this forum. I can already tell this forum is gonna be a life/money/pain-in-the-ass saver! I'm excited to get out there and get a feel for the bike, but haven't been able to put many miles on it yet. Can't wait to roll with a few fellow FZ6 riders once I get some miles under my belt!

Get this great timing: Bike was in the shop during all the freakishly nice weather last couple of weeks or so. Got it back last night; right in time for the snow! still tempting......

Last edited:

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Grew up in Springfield, but moved out to Manassas a couple of years ago. Glad to see so many FZ6s rollin in the metro area!!

I just got one myself a few weeks ago; upgraded from an EX-500. So this also happens to be my first post on this forum. I can already tell this forum is gonna be a life/money/pain-in-the-ass saver! I'm excited to get out there and get a feel for the bike, but haven't been able to put many miles on it yet. Can't wait to roll with a few fellow FZ6 riders once I get some miles under my belt!

Get this great timing: Bike was in the shop during all the freakishly nice weather last couple of weeks or so. Got it back last night; right in time for the snow! still tempting......

:welcome::welcome::welcome:

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
Spring can't get here soon enough.

I'm really hating having to drive into work each day. I rode in a few times with the temps in the 20s, the ride is not too bad but it's unconfortable enought for me to know that I'd prefer to wait until the warmer temps start being displayed.

Did I mention that Spring can't get here soon enough.

d9spacecadet

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
im in williamsburg va. i just rode up to gaithersburg MD and back yesterday. im always down for a ride. ive subsribed to this thread. im not familiar with good riding out here. from chicago. if anyone organizes a ride. im game.

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
If I hear anything or if I decide to do a ride somewhere, I'll let you know. I'll be down in Williamsburg in June. Still working out the logistics of getting my bike down there. My wife don't want to drive down and back while I ride my bike. She is such a wuss (smile) she hates driving (I still love her though).

I'm still working on her. I'll keep you posted.

Olegator

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm about to join your community.

I'm about to buy a Yamaha FZ6. The problem is that the bike is 2 hours away...in Elkton, MD and it needs to get to Gaithersburg MD. I have not ridden long distances and I've been off the bike for 4 years. On top of that the oil in the bike has not been changed at all (600miles 2007).

Therefore I'm looking for someone's help or input with helping me on how to transfer the bike.

Any places that provide services like that?

Thanks!

Oleg

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm about to join your community.

I'm about to buy a Yamaha FZ6. The problem is that the bike is 2 hours away...in Elkton, MD and it needs to get to Gaithersburg MD. I have not ridden long distances and I've been off the bike for 4 years. On top of that the oil in the bike has not been changed at all (600miles 2007).

Therefore I'm looking for someone's help or input with helping me on how to transfer the bike.

Any places that provide services like that?

Thanks!

Oleg

Are you planning on riding it back or putting it on a trailer? I picked up a trailer from U-haul and used that to get my bike from Mississippi to VA. That can be an option. Shouldn't be all that expensive since it will be a roundtripper.

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
What have you used to secure the bike on the trailer?

I used straps that slip on the handlebars that can be cinched down to compress the front forks. On the rear, I used straps as well (plain straps unlike the handlebar ones) to keep it from sliding from left to right.

Both worked with no problems and no damage to my bike. When you trailer it, don't put a tarp on it. The tarp will scuff up the bike from all the wind flapping against it.

BTW, how many miles does the bike have (don't recall seeing that).

Olegator

Reaction score
Visit site
the bike has 600 miles on it. Im planning in renting a 5 x 9 ramp trailer, some ropes...
Now I need to find someone with the truck to tow it :(

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
the bike has 600 miles on it. Im planning in renting a 5 x 9 ramp trailer, some ropes...
Now I need to find someone with the truck to tow it :(

Another option is to get a u haul that the bike will fit in. Tie it down on the inside of the uhaul truck and be on your way if you can't find a a vehicle to tow the trailer. I recommend tie down straps with the cinch mechanism (more secure, less likely to slip).

Hope all goes well. Are you planning on doing the oil change yourself? If so, prepare for a possible battle getting the oil filter off.

Olegator

Reaction score
Visit site
Just wanted to thank n3lrk (Nick) for helping me to pick up the bike! Thanks a lot Nick!
It would have been a major pain if I didn't have your help.

gjpollman

Reaction score
Visit site
anyone in the NOVA area up for a ride this saturday? I am thinking about heading up tin Winchester to the Duc Pond Motorsports (dacati, MV and Aprillia) dealership and check out their open house oogle a few bikes I cant afford and then get lost on the way home, maybe hit the Mount Weather road for some twisties...

Olegator

Reaction score
Visit site
If anyone needs to get some seat work done, go to Jhon Longo shop in Rockville. He shaved my seat to 90$, I'm pretty happy with the results