...a proper intro!

Full Circle

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Everyone, I introduced myself in the new members thread but figured I'd do a proper one in a thread of my own...with a few pics! :sinister:

Been riding for the past five years on a 96 XJ600. It had been my daily commuter which tends to be about 90% of my riding. I just don't seem to have the time nights or weekends to get out very much.
IMAG0081.jpg 20150412_152546.jpg

Fun bike but in truth, I've been drooling over the FZ for years...this pic in particular
100906_fz6_top.jpg

Early March I picked up this naked 07. Price was right and the PO had pretty much everything to put it back to stock. A lot of my commute seems to be in a wind tunnel down tree lined country roads so I wanted some semblance of wind protection.
IMG_20170305_191843.jpg

Got started tearing off everything I didn't want, including the VS02 front end, and rear rizoma LEDs. I've since sold a bunch of the scavenged parts and made back about $300. I kept the TB exhaust as well as Rizoma Bar, Rizoma Lux grips and Pazzo levers.
IMG_20170413_172300.jpg IMG_20170413_172246.jpg
I wasn't sold on the Lux grips, they felt thin to me but now that I've been on a few rides with them, I don't mind them at all.

I got the bike safetied and licenced last week, just in time for the torrential rains. Didn't actually make it out until last weekend. Rides were pretty short while I adjusted the bike for comfort, and I'm happy to say that today I was finally able to start commuting on the bike. :rockon:
IMG_20170423_123026.jpg Cornering2.jpg

My first thoughts, :thumbup:! Love this bike. She's balanced and easily flickable. I'd read about a few issues like jerky throttle-haven't felt it yet; vibes-pretty much none, clunky gearbox-maybe a bit of noise 2 to 1 but other than that...butter!, and short friction zones/end of lever engage-these are actually pretty similar to the XJ so i guess I'm used to it, cause the clutch feels perfect to me, and ya two fingers.

I guess I'll end here for now, looking forward to being a part of the forum.

...and apparently, I fill my tank from the left...(must go reply to that thread)FillingUp.jpg

Adam

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum! Best year and color BTW!

You ARE a FIRST!!!

Everyone goes naked. You are the first, (since being here for 8 years) that I've seen go to full fairing!

Just a side note, don't friggin drop it, even stopped... That fairing "stay" is EASILY bent and the plastic
seems to like the pavement..

Other than that, it's a great all around bike (my favorite by far) and maintained, will give you years of service!

(and 2" total up and down drive chain play!)

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome and Congrats, Full Circle!
Agreed, I can't remember anyone going back to stock like that, either; but, it's what YOU want! (Mine's still stock except the seat and cans)

Full Circle

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome!

Pretty similar to the XJ in that most go naked, although with a 20+ year old bike it might have been more to do with a lack of, or cost of parts.

... And ya, all about the maintenance.

The FZ didn't need anything major to safety really. I flushed and changed all fluids, cleaned up the chain and sprockets, (which I thought were black until I started cleaning), fixed up and greased the calipers, changed out the rear pads and basically checked over the rest of the bike. BTW, found it on here but don't remember from who, that shoe string to clean around the caliper pistons...GENIOUS!

PO kept the bike pretty near spotless on the outside, but under the seat, under the cans, pretty much anywhere that you had to bend to look, well, not so much, and by the looks of the chain and sprockets, he wasn't much for maintenance. He only had it a year though, just enough time to convert it to naked. Said he really wanted an R6 but bought the FZ instead.

I like to take care of my toys.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just as an FYI, Yamaha recommends brake seal replacement every TWO YEARS..

In real life, maybe 4-5 years before you get excessive pad drag.

I did mine about 3.5 years ago and went from approx one full rotation "by hand, free spin"(on the CC, ft wheel jacked up) to four rotations.

It's currently at just under 3 rotations now, so in a year or so, it'll get new seals again..
(No leakage, just the rubber hardens up over time and binds up the pistons..

Full Circle

Reaction score
Visit site
Just as an FYI, Yamaha recommends brake seal replacement every TWO YEARS..

In real life, maybe 4-5 years before you get excessive pad drag.

I did mine about 3.5 years ago and went from approx one full rotation "by hand, free spin"(on the CC, ft wheel jacked up) to four rotations.

It's currently at just under 3 rotations now, so in a year or so, it'll get new seals again..
(No leakage, just the rubber hardens up over time and binds up the pistons..

Thanks. When I pulled the calipers and pushed out the pistons, I could see them retracting when I would release the pedal. Should be good for a little bit. I'll have to count my front rotation, you've got me curious. No drag but I never actually counted. What do you get in the rear? With chain drag etc I was getting between 1 and 2 depending on how strong I was feeling[emoji1] .

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The rear sounds fine. With only one seal back there, rarely is there an issue at the rear.

Now the fronts, the pistons fit tight, even with new seals...And there of course 8 total....

Another way to check, go for a ride, maybe 50 MPH for a little while, then stop fairly quickly with the REAR BRAKE ONLY..

Now, CAREFULLY touch (or lazer temp gun) the front disc's. They should be room temp (as you didn't use them).
If their warm to hot, (and they certainly shouldn't be hot), they need addressing as the pistons / pads are dragging excessively..